Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Why do they salt the roads?
  • TooTall
    Free Member

Salt works fine down to about -7C. I'm sure we'll all agree that is sufficient for most winters most years. We've got atypical weather at the moment. If you have sustained cold spells below -7C, then you do what Germany etc do – which is suitable for them, but not for UK really.

WTF
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

it's compulsary here in germany – and in many european countries – to have winter tyres fitted on your car

Sounds like very effective lobbying by BMW, to mask the fact that their cars are complete shite in snow.

I noticed that Mercs seem to have the same shite ability also.

zokes
    Free Member

marty – Member

[]Even now, this isn't winter tyre weather, unless you live right up in the hills.[/i]
    er, maybe in the south. LOTS of main road round here still sketchy on "normal tyres" (west lothian/fife) – particularly where untreated side streets/car parks have dragged stuff out on to main roads. probably still BBQ weather down there though…

Last time I checked, where samuri lives is somewhere between Manchester and Liverpool. Not that south then… FAIL!

Living in Belmont, the A675 was 'shut' for 3 days. My golf with sporty tyres managed fine, as I was sensible. It appears several 4x4s weren't driven carefully, and, erm, didn't manage…

deadkenny
    Free Member

got a jack? yup.

got a wrench? yup.

then what's your problem….?
    If you're changing a wheel yes, but are you going to buy a spare set of alloys for your winter tyres? ! I don't even have space to store them if I was going to waste my money on them.

Changing an actual tyre on a wheel (i.e. not changing the wheel), I'm not even sure how to do it properly, and nor do I think my pump would manage to inflate it. Doubt I could even get the thing off the rim anyway. It's bad enough with a bike tyre. Would need balancing and all that surely also?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Deleted facetious comment ❗

0091paddy
    Free Member

To melt ice. Lock thread.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Much better just to stop. Give it a week or two and things would sort themselves out. Darwins theory plus a bit of community spirit. A a spare pair of wheels would be the easy way , indeed several of my ,mates not clever enough to run a landrover do just that. 10 minutes to change them twice a year. Surely no one pays for that?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What's all this bollix about 'winter' tyres? Who in this country is gonna buy a set of wheels & some winter tyres, just in case we have a bit of snow for a couple of weeks a year? So, unless you live in somewhere that has 6" of the white stuff for 3 months of the year….MTFU & deal with it, I.E., learn to drive in snow you pussies!
    This year is the 1st I can remember since the early 80's where we've had anything like a 'proper' winter!

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Why do they salt the roads?’ is closed to new replies.