Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • why do so many people knock superstar components?
  • PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I wouldn't buy anything with moving parts from him after a headset and a BB both prety much failed out of the box.
    Pads are good tho and I'm not sure how things like grips could fail

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

There are certain brands and products I will never use. Superstar has made it on that list by selling cheap pattern parts that don't work, bad customer service, shocking reputation, ginger hair, and the whole creating a separate identity to try to knock a competitor was just a step too far.

There are plenty of other companies that give excellent service, sell quality products and are honest that i would rather give my hard earned to.

lowey

I had a bb from them that lasted 2 years of solid gritty abuse. However I have had 8 pairs of brake pads that have not lasted a full ride without the pads falling off the backing.

WorsthorneWarrior
    Free Member

Rotors, Rims & Pads – all spot on, not to clued up on the history but the present seems spot on to me!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Using SS pads, rotors, pedals & BB full-time out here in the Alps. No problems with any of them so far. Pads last almost as long as Hayes originals (which are the best pads I've ever used) and at least as long as any other 3rd-party pads I've tried. Pedals are excellent, really like them.

Met Neil at the World Cup in Fort William and seems like a decent bloke to me.

We get a small discount on kit from them by the way (mostly since I was buying enough brake pads to last 2 guides and 2 hire bikes for an Alpine season!) so my impartiality can be questioned if desired… 😳

MrFarrellsSodasuite
    Free Member

I've had pads bought online and branded up Commencal/"Athertons" that delaminated and scored a rotor beyond all repair, and I doubt I'm alone in this…at least the crap BB I bought from SS componets was refunded.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

For me it's not about the parts he sells, it's the underhand and dishonest things that he has publicly done and the contempt which he has displayed towards his customers that make me want to take my business elsewhere.

M6TTF
    Free Member

No hesitation to buy from them. Used the pads – been great although the last set have come off the backing, just glued them back on, a lot less hassle than returning and took a minute or so.

Looking at their wheelsets, but they're not especially cheap for the custom builds compared to hope hoops, still look like a good alternative

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

In the cheaper pads wars A2Z won it here. Had a issues with a few from SSC and Disco but A2Z all work fine and last as long as Hopes's.

The SSC BB I had lasted as long as I'd expect an external BB to last.

Regarding "same business model" how many bike component brands actually try to carry out half of their customer care on an mtb forum? (I don't really need answers to this) I originally thought it a nice approach but with hindsight it was brave/stupid.

fudge9202
    Free Member

el_boufador could not agree more they regularly get my dosh and I've never had a problem yet.

Xylene
    Free Member

They haven't got mine yet, and most likely won't, even though I want red bits.

Wanted their cheap wheel build, thought it would do the job, was a bit concerned about quality, googled to see what the story was with this company I didn't know, came across lots of the crap on here about the customer service etc and just decided it wasn't worth it.

Most reviews about companies are crap, people complain when things go wrong, not right,generally it's easy enough to weed through the guff, but Superstars 'story' made me think twice about it for them.

They have some bits I would like, but do I risk it, or go with somebody else who sells nearly what I want, and doesn't have a bad things said about them, Merlin anybody?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

As regards cheap brake pads I've just got some Clarks ones from CRC at £5 a time (when you buy 4 sets) which seems cheap.

Hoping that Clark's are ensuring good quality to protect their name – time will tell.

_tom_
    Free Member

Merlin wheels are very good. I've got a front one for sale if you're interested 😉 Hope XC disc hub, XC717 rim (non disc but obv will work with a disc still).

Xylene
    Free Member

Merlin wheels are very good. I've got a front one for sale if you're interested Hope XC disc hub, XC717 rim (non disc but obv will work with a disc still).

Everybody knows Merlin are good. That's the point, how many people have had or read about bad experiences with Merlin? Compare that to Superstar.

Northwind

Don't think I'd buy SS wheels, not because I don't trust them- though I don't!- but just because they don't seem like very good value. When they're on sale sure but comparing them to the Hope Hoops I got they didn't seem competitive.

bongo136
    Free Member

i decided to treat myself to some superstar skewers. turns out the were too spindly and my rear wheel ended up falling out whist on a ride, lucily it wasnt on a decent. But that will probably be the first and last time i use any of there components 🙄

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

"Quirrel – Member
    Merlin wheels are very good. I've got a front one for sale if you're interested Hope XC disc hub, XC717 rim (non disc but obv will work with a disc still).
    Everybody knows Merlin are good. That's the point, how many people have had or read about bad experiences with Merlin? Compare that to Superstar."

Ha ha. I had a £400 frame that was quite obviously out of alignment. This only became apparent after numerous hub rebuilds and it ended up damaged.

Merlin told me that the frame would have got damaged by me transporting it wrongly, or maybe I had dropped it.

Then they told me that it wasn't out of alignment after all.

Xylene
    Free Member

Ha ha. I had a £400 frame that was quite obviously out of alignment. This only became apparent after numerous hub rebuilds and it ended up damaged.

First negative Merlin story I've heard. Not good service in your instance at all.

juiced
    Free Member

I think their platform pedals, lockon grips ,chain device, and headsets look spot on.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I use their pads but after a lot of checking out, bought Hope Hoops (front and back) and a Merlin built rear wheel (XT hub/717s) recently. Their wheels don't seem great VFM, the hubs are heavy and I was a bit worried about quality.

So if anyone Superstar is looking, this isn't a dig – just feedback.

Some stuff is great VFM (brake pads and other bits), some is not cheap enough to make taking the risk worthwhile.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘why do so many people knock superstar components?’ is closed to new replies.