Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Why do people like windfarms?
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

Any form of energy production preferences is simply choosing the lesser of whichever evil.
    Carbon emissions.
    Nuclear safety.
    Wind farms producing noise pollution, visual pollution, loss of scarce metals, dead birds, etc.
    Wave energy, having an impact on sea life, visual impact etc.
    Solar PV, visual, cost benefit.
    There are positives and negatives for all, so this argument will trundle on forever.

except with wind power you get two evils, the wind power and the back-up reliable supply

The single most effective method is to reduce consumption

agree totally, should be the number one focus

Hang on, what about the job losses?

there are probably more jobs in making us “efficient”, the problem is the fuel poverty it will but people into during the transistion from now to energy efficient

Entonox
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

Smug because of their reduced utility bills ?

Reduced utility bills because of tiddly wind turbines stuck on roofs in an urban environment? 😆

I suspect the fact the turbines don’t do much useful gets lost in the noise because of the improvements from better insulation and use of solar thermal.

Is the build cost of this “affodable housing” really almost £200k per house? 😯

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Smug because of their reduced they increased everyone else’s utility bills ?

FIFY

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Reduced utility bills because of tiddly wind turbines stuck on roofs in an urban environment? 😆

Yes, 15% electricity generation. So on the 13 dwellings involved in the development, that is the equivalent of saving 2 houses worth of electricity – image multiplying that across the country.
    How hilarious is that ? 😆

Is the build cost of this “affodable housing” really almost £200k per house? 😯

£172k for a bedroom house, which includes not only a wind turbine but also solar panels and rain water harvesting. How much do you expect the build cost on a 3 bedroom house to be ?

And yes, it is affordable housing. Do you actually know what “affordable housing” means ? It means “affordable” to those that have an average income. Those houses were built by Croydon Council (the first for 22 yrs) for renting out at affordable rent.

Furthermore, apart from the electricity generated from the wind turbines, the solar panels produce 60% of heating requirements. I don’t know how much the water harvesting saves on water bills, but it is clear that this represents “affordable housing”. How shocking is that ? 😯

Smug because they increased everyone else’s utility bills ?

Only someone who goes by the name of big_n_daft would conclude that because the residents of Sumner Gardens are using less electricity gas and water, they are increasing everyone else’s utility bills. You obviously don’t fully accept the concept of supply and demand and its effects on prices. A strange position for a right-winger like yourself to take. I would have expected you to have much more faith in
    “the market”.

aracer
    Free Member

15% electricity generation.

Go on then, where do you get that figure from? Is that the % the wind turbine can provide when it gets the perfect wind? How about the capacity required from the network when the wind isn’t blowing?

£172k for a bedroom house, which includes not only a wind turbine but also solar panels and rain water harvesting. How much do you expect the build cost on a 3 bedroom house to be ?

Well given a 3 bed house round here can be bought for less than that including land cost, then I’d have thought rather less than that. I know when we bought our house 14 years ago (at the bottom of the market), the rebuild cost was only 2/3 of the house price…

Only someone who goes by the name of big_n_daft would conclude that because the residents of Sumner Gardens are using less electricity gas and water, they are increasing everyone else’s utility bills. You obviously don’t fully accept the concept of supply and demand and its effects on prices

How do you think the feed in tariff affects everybody else’s fuel bills?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Go on then, where do you get that figure from? Is that the % the wind turbine can provide when it gets the perfect wind?

No, it’s 15% of overall electricity requirement. And it’s not my figure. Of course you could go along and plug in a couple of 3kw heaters and leave them permanently on, thereby exposing the 15% claim as a lie, and I’m sure you would, just to prove how “correct” you are, but quite frankly I can’t be arsed arguing with you. Sorry ! 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We pay a subsidy to nuclear as well but |I don’t see you complaining about that

Brycey
    Free Member

It obviously varies hugely on location, but modern offshore windfarms are generally producing power a significant amount of the time. 40-50% capacity factor is not uncommon, and bear in find some of these are now massive (500MW plus), with total capacities now at least in the same ballpark are fossil burners.

They are still very expensive that’s for sure.

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Why do people like windfarms?’ is closed to new replies.