Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Why do dogs chase bikes
  • project
    Free Member

Its not as if they can ride or eat a bike, and whats with dog owners who have no control of their animals, until you almost hit the dog, and then they just see pound signs getting the thing repaired.

z1ppy

Instinct? Chase being the operative word.

jam-bo

Not all do.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

bacause they ‘think’ they are animals? like horses.
    i lived in bucharest for a year and a half. cycling there no fun. joy to cycle in other countries where you can pass gateways, houses, farms etc without fear.

a mate told me his tactic when touring in romania: take water bottle and squirt a bit on the ground. stops them in their tracks to sniff at it.

never tried it 🙂

CountZero

It’s not the bike. Dogs like to chase balls. Just wear baggy clothing… 😈

grantway
    Free Member

Thought it was the person on the bike they were chasing.
    Has never seen a bike going on its own and a dog chasing the bike !

Burls72
    Free Member

I did read something about bikes making lots of different noises which dogs can hear and we can’t. Unless it’s my bike which as soon as I sort out one squeak another seems to appear.

tazzymtb

because they’re annoying fuzzy faced poo depositing machines that need a good shoeing.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

deffy got chased more when i had a rear mech with it’s ‘noisy jockey wheels, then with a 1er freewheel

themountaingoat
    Free Member

Thats a question like why is the sky blue? Because thats the way it is.

chainslapp
    Free Member

I take it you dont own an

annoying fuzzy faced poo depositing machine

Tazz?? 😯

sunnrider
    Free Member

annoying fuzzy faced poo depositing machines

funny how they can change your life, be they 4 or 2 legged

tazzymtb

funny how they can change your life, be they 4 or 2 legged

got both, they certainly make you skint, make the house messy and destroy everything.

i really just need to live in a cave on my own

singlespeedstu

Because they can.

project
    Free Member

While i would love another dog, i do wonder why owners dont control them, but soem have kids as well and cant control them , despite the kids being able to understand a slap on the arse.

ofeersa
    Free Member

in my case it was to chew on my leg, big brown doberman type thing got me one morning while cycling to work.

donsimon
    Free Member

Because chasing airplanes would be a bit stoopid, wouldn’t it?

chainslapp
    Free Member

Because chasing airplanes would be a bit stoopid, wouldn’t it?

Well in that case this little fella is stupid, as thats what he loves to do. In fact when the dust cloud was over the UK earlier in the year, he was totally depressed, as he had no planes to chase.

donsimon
    Free Member

Well in that case this little fella is stupid,

I’d have to agree with you there.

DezB
    Free Member

My dog is stupid as hell, but she doesn’t chase anything.
    Well, apart from rabbits, foxes, cats, pheasants and er, maybe the odd dear ( deer?)

singlespeedstu

chainslapp.

Your dog looks like he’s plotting something naughty. 😆

chainslapp
    Free Member

SS Stu, that’s because he normally is. 😳

alpin
    Free Member

deer.

my aunts dog was never interested in the general biking public, just postmen on bikes…. and black people. that was a bit embaressing at times….

carlphillips
    Free Member

my dog chases bikes, he fooking loves it.

wrecker
    Free Member

My dog chases me on my bike. He tries to bite the (spinning) tyres.
    My dog is none too bright. Should have got a collie.

racefaceec90

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU[/video] sorry 😳 😀

jonahtonto
    Free Member

your spokes make alot of noise that we cant hear – look at the darkside peoples spokes and rims, if they are making wheels more aerodynamic, they must be making loads of turbulence – dogs can hear this and i bet it sounds like horrible white noise. when dogs have a pop at me i always stop (bike betweeen me and dog) and this seems to calm them down

stavromuller
    Free Member

Once got chased by three springer spaniels on a trail in France and they had what looked like a much practiced routine. They channeled me to ride over a four foot drop and then stopped as I sailed throught the air screaming. Managed to land it but only just, saw the funny side and it got my heart beating a lot faster. 😯

Drac

To give people something rant about of forums.

CaptJon
    Free Member

What i don’t understand is why to owners of dogs who chase bikes (and other stuff), don’t put them on a lead? While out today about half the dog owners i passed stopped and held their dogs by the collar as people passed. If they can’t trust the dog, why would you have it off the lead?

gwaelod
    Free Member

in general dogs tend to be brighter than their owners

HermanShake
    Free Member

I heard something about the object moving but it doesn’t look like it should (the wheels remain circles visually) plus the whine of the bearings.

And what tazzy said 😉

1kcove
    Free Member

:twisted::twisted:[/url]
    TAZ by chrisgiant, on Flickr[/img]

Just Waiting around to bite anyone on a bike with Lycra!!!

andypaul99
    Free Member

Its hard wired into most Dogs to chase moving objects. The ones that chase you are likely to be Dogs that (through human training) over the years evolved to chase and fetch. If they get too close to you its likely they havent been told not to….its the owners fault!
    I was bitten by a Collie a while back whilst on the bike, the little blighter wouldnt let go of my anke – made a right old mess, not only that it completely messed up my 95rpm cadence. Git!

anagallis_arvensis

Variety of reasons,often fear a lot of the guarding breeds first thought if something scares them is to bite it. Some are hunting and love the chase and collies are trying to round you up. My dog doesnt chase bikes she only chases furry things.

Karinofnine

I think it’s instinct, my dog will chase anything that runs. If whatever it is stops running, she stops chasing.

Bicycles and runners are her favourite. She loves going in the car, and shows no reaction to parked cars, but she goes nuts at car wheels when the car is moving.

I keep her on a lead until we are somewhere where she can do/come to no harm.

Duggan

I’ve been told that dogs and horses don’t actually realise you’re people if you’re on a bike- you look alien to them. Hence why bikes often seem to make some animals jittery.

This is why it’s good to speak as you go past because they then realise that you’re just a person and it calms them. Seems plausible to me.

mintimperial

Dogs chase bikes because cyclists don’t pack these babies anymore.

See also: idiot motorists, arsey ramblers. Ah, life would be so much simpler if we were still allowed to ride about properly tooled up, eh?

janecarter
    Free Member

I think maybe someone he likes on the bike, so he likes chasing the bike.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Why do dogs chase bikes’ is closed to new replies.