Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Why are Crank Brothers cleats so poor?
  • duir
    Free Member

Crank brothers mallet pedals……love them or hate them. I really like them for downhill, my mallet 2's bearings have lasted ages, they are easy to work on, customer backup is very good and they feel really great……….

but why on earth do they make such utterly pointless cleats?

They are made of chocolate and last me about 4-6 weeks of hard riding before they start to dangerously unclip themselves. Why can't they just make them out of the same stuff that shimano use and then they would last forever.

wwaswas

I've never really had a problem – do you use the 'premium' ones – they're harder.

duir
    Free Member

Yes use the premium ones and I ride a lot (3-5) times a week in summer. My local DH track requires a 20min push up on granite and after a few weeks of new cleats I can see serious wear that doesn't happen on shimano.

druidh
    Free Member

Ride more – walk less. They don't wear out when clipped in you know.

Oggles
    Free Member

Mine have lasted over 18 months of daily commuting and weekend riding, and have only just started unclipping when they feel like it. These are the same cleats that came with the pedals too.

firestarter
    Free Member

Mine last ages but then I use them for riding rather than walking in 😉

duir
    Free Member

Ride more – walk less. They don't wear out when clipped in you know.

Mine last ages but then I use them for riding rather than walking in

Both good points but do not offer any explanation as to why they have to make them out of such soft material.

Maybe I am just getting old but after 20 years MTBing I just struggle to ride this

up this

and as a result find it easier to push up to the top.

Perhaps the single ring, road cassette and 8.75" of travel doesn't help…….excuses, excuses!

Come on crank bros make some indestructible cleats then these will be the perfect DH pedal for me.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

The wings on the pedals are very thin + the constant movement so I guess they have to wear rather than the pedal, agreed, they suffer when walking in them though.

jhw
    Free Member

put some flip flops in your camelbak for the walk up?

uplink
    Free Member

Why are Crank Brothers cleats so poor?

'Poor' & 'Crank Brothers' are often found in the same sentence

njee20
    Free Member

The wings on the pedals are very thin + the constant movement so I guess they have to wear rather than the pedal,

Spot on! Harder cleats = worn pedals!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

and as a result find it easier to push up to the top.

That path off to the left looks a bit easier though.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

I work as a Cycle courier so do a reasonable amount of cycling and walking, I bought some crank brothers pedals and cleats after hearing about how good the were.

They lasted a week before starting to pull out. I replaced the cleats and got another week out of them.

I'm now using Time Atac's and despite their similar design I am back to getting 6 months out of a set of cleats.

Crank-brothers = unparalleled in producing nicely packaged crap

singlespeedstu

– do you use the 'premium' ones – they're harder.

No. They're just adjustable. Still made out of the same stuff. 🙄

coogan
    Free Member

Crank Bros with below average product you say? Unheard of.

martinxyz
    Free Member

well if you have a bit of money about you.. start up a company making steel ones.

millionaire in a year!

skiboy
    Free Member

everyone moans about crankbrothers, but i have 2 pairs of eggeys and two pairs of candy sl's on 4 bikes , one of which does 14 miles 6 days a week , i never have any problems with them and have nothing but good experiences so make of that what you will 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Why are Crank Brothers cleats so poor?’ is closed to new replies.