Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)
  • Who is the most stereotypical STWer?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh wait… I think I have another tag to STW’er type..

I lurk on here most days, day & night 😆

footflaps

Listing things that you own as a vague attempt to establish how stw you are when in fact the only aim is showing off your niche, middle class, high earning credentials is in itself very stw.

Wouldn’t say it was very niche given how common it is on STW…..

rickt
    Free Member

So what is wrong with this stereotype then ??

What does it matter what people do for a job, live or ride ??

😀 🙂

Off to wash my VAG and clean my Five while the suns out 🙂

Drac

So what is wrong with this stereotype then ??

What does it matter what people do for a job, live or ride ??

Nothing it’s all a bit of lighthearted humour.

tazzymtb

Ooooo can we add “inability to get light hearted humor” to the stereotype

tazzymtb

Ooooo can we add “inability to get light hearted humor” to the stereotype

Drac

No but we can double posting. 😆

tazzymtb

😀 glad you liked my work

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t come here if tazzers wasn’t here. Thus he is the very essence of stw for me. I want to soak in your essence tazzers. 😛

Torminalis
    Free Member

mincing around the South Downs on a 6″ full bouncer from Lapierre

😳

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m faux-STW.

Own a Ford.
    Have an open fire, not a woodburner.
    Grew up in Wakefield (which is on the Calder)
    Incapable of growing a beard (despite being 36)
    Couple of tattoos
    Don’t really like coffee.
    Android tablet
    Ancient Nokia phone
    I do own an On One, but its a ti ‘cross frame
    My full-sus bike only has one gear
    My hardtail has 14 gears, but it does have 150mm forks and big flat handlebars.
    Both mtbs have 26″ wheels, but I have a set of rigid forks and a 29″ wheel for winter use on the hardtail.
    Mechanical engineer.

All so-very-nearly STW, but not quite….

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

I don’t know where I fit, Maybe I’m a try-hard?
    Wanted to work in IT. But chose to join the Army
    Drive a Vauxhal, but have taken it off the road to encourage me to ride more. But I would get an Audi estate..
    Own a BFe, Own a singlespeed, Building a FS with more suspension than really needed.
    Always trying to grow a beard, but seem to have poor genetics for it.
    Have a wood burner, but never any wood to burn.
    And love a decent cup of coffee, but I am more of a tea man to be honest.
    I hate Orange bikes though… So I guess that scores me lower down the scale?
    I do ride alot, every weekend for 2 decent day rides, and every day to work.

🙂

grum
    Free Member

Listing things that you own as a vague attempt to establish how stw you are when in fact the only aim is showing off your niche, middle class, high earning credentials is in itself very stw.

Crikey it was only meant to be a bit of fun!

Mind you posting smug, superior comments about how lame other people are on STW is very STW. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m only moderately stereotypical. VAG, Orange, full sus bikes, IT but on the other hand I have gas central heating, I choose a caravan instead of lusting after a campervan, I have never been to an MTB resort or had a biking holiday in the Alps.

Plus I test drove Ford and Honda when I bought my car, and would’ve bought a Honda but they were all too much at the dealer.

PS Emsz I don’t think he meant ladybits as derogatory, more that he liked typing VAG because it’s also short for vagina.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How STW you think you are is inversely proportional to how STW you really are. Kinda like being cool. Being STW isn’t cool btw. 🙂

tomhoward

molgrips – Member
    I test drove Ford and Honda when I bought my car, and would’ve bought a Honda but they were all too much at the dealer.

Get what you pay for though reliability wise though, eh? 😉

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Whats going on, 3 pages and it hasn’t turned into an argument yet 😀

Which is another thing that needs adding to the list of what a stereotypical user is like. Somebody who probably spends more of their time on here getting involved in stupid arguments and generally making themselves look a **** than they do cycling 😆

mboy
    Free Member

I do ride alot, every weekend for 2 decent day rides, and every day to work.

And you were doing sooooooo well (even including the dislike for Orange) until this point… Then you screwed it up by actively riding your bike a lot! Shame… 😉

How STW you think you are is inversely proportional to how STW you really are. Kinda like being cool. Being STW isn’t cool btw.

So if you think you’re very middle of the road, what’s the inverse proportion to that? 😕

– VAG car – Have had an Audi and a couple of VW’s in the past. Currently own a (draws deep breath in over teeth) Renault! It is worth less than any of my bikes though…
    – Orange 5 – No, never have, never will
    – 29er – Guilty as charge. It is a lot more mainstream than the typical STW 29er though.
    – Full sus bike with too much travel – Not these days, though have done in the past
    – Road Bike – Yes, and probably ride it more than MTB these days!
    – Coffee Snob – Can appreciate a good coffee (note I said good, not expensive) on occasion, but still generally prefer a cup of tea. Drink more soft drinks (sugar free) than either though.
    – IT Geek – Not enough to do it professionally.
    – Real Ale Weirdo – No. Have recently rediscovered proper cider though after many years T Total.
    – Beard – Usually unshaven, but despite being 33, I still couldn’t call what grows on my face a “beard”
    – Wood Burner – 2 of them! 😛 Have had a wood burner in many houses I have lived in.
    – Lefty – No chance. Get back to work and stop moaning about the lack of teabags in the staff canteen!
    – Ride my bike – A lot more than I used to. A lot more than a lot of people I know that frequent this forum, but also a lot less than others.
    – Overweight – No, despite the amount I eat.
    – iPhone – Guilty
    – Mac – Guilty again
    – iPad – NOT Guilty (I’ll struggle by with just the 2 Apple products)

All of the above criteria count for only one point each though…

Me
    I talk a lot of shit
    (Plus most others here)

This counts for at least 10 points (and guilty as charged)…

mboy
    Free Member

All that said though, surely the epitome of an STWer is…

The “what …. for ….” thread? The need to seek approval from everyone else on what they should use for said job.

But then to take this a step further, you have to then ignore all advice that you’ve asked for and bloody mindedly buy something totally unsuitable, then moan about it on here a week later? Step forward the one with the beautiful penis! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah – I like good coffee but I’m not a snob, I do go to Starbucks.

vickypea
    Free Member

I don’t think I fit the stereotype except that I’m middle aged and a coffee snob (but do not own a machine). I haven’t a clue what a VAG car is either!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Oh yeah – I like good coffee but I’m not a snob, I do go to Starbucks.

“Snob” is such a bad word to describe anyone who likes to take something they enjoy and refine the experience further. We all do it with bikes as we have mostly moved on from an Apollo rampage from Halfords to something that furthers the enjoyment of your precious riding time.
    I have done the same with coffee but it’s for my enjoyment not for the appeasement of my peers or to show off. People who want to show off would actually buy/use/display a different machine/coffee than a gourmand or aficionado. The same goes for bikes.

We all know of social climbing snobs. Somebody who owns a nice lever machine and refuses to drink supermarket/illy/lavazza coffee for a fresher carefully roasted artisan product because they prefer the taste is not a snob. Somebody who has the most expensive machine from john Lewis sat unused

Sorry raw nerve touched there 😀

Tom-B
    Free Member

So we’re not allowed to say VAG now?! Can we still say mary hinge!

AndyRT
    Free Member

IT ……yes
    Beard…..on the weekends
    VAG…..T25 westy
    Orange 5… Persuaded my brother to buy one
    Too much travel? Been there and still have dusty glory
    1×9! None of this 10 speed rubbish, and 11 speed will never catch on….
    X bike with On One Midge bars, which is a Cotic…so do I get double points?
    456 has been through my ownership
    Lefty? Yes, on my fat bike
    Coffee only tastes good if it’s been prepared on a campervan stove in an expresso maker
    Does using webber BBQ wood chips on a Webber BBQ count for wood burner?
    iPad, iMac, Apple TV, iPhone…..no MacBook though,
    Generally grumpy, especially if you have a go at me about being fat!

grum
    Free Member

MrSmith – you are pretty much the definition of a snob IMO. There’s very few of your posts that don’t involve sneering at other people you consider beneath you.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I really don’t know much about bikes, riding or anything else on the chat forum but I’m always posting stuff up – that’s the definition of a steriotypical STW member surely ?

Audi Avant (and have owned many VW’s over past 30 years)
    Bfe
    Covert
    Want to build up another bike (PAC)
    Go on Alps holidays
    Live in Surrey Hills
    Love the Peak District
    Have garage full of (virtually unused) tyres
    Computer Science Degree (but not direct IT employment since 1987)
    i-everything
    Coffee snob (Nespresso only), tea snob (PG tips only)
    Can grow stubble if I don’t shave for a week

STW fails – I cannot ride (as above), I cannot fix anything

MrSmith
    Free Member

MrSmith – you are pretty much the definition of a snob IMO. There’s very few of your posts that don’t involve sneering at other people you consider beneath you.

Apart from the usual lazy/feckless/ignorant/violent types that most of us don’t like I don’t consider anyone “beneath” me. I grew up on a council estate (where my folks still live) free school meals and worked picking spuds in the summer etc.
    I didn’t know what a snob was until further education where you start to meet people who are idle and used to everything on a plate and liked to show off their wares.
    You are confusing an aversion to championing mediocrity and celebrating the mundane (which seems to be a modern phenomenon) with snobbishness.
    A snob is : a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and looks down on those regarded as socially inferior (OED)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A snob is : a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and looks down on those regarded as socially inferior (OED)

I notice you decided not to go with the full definition.

Here, let me finish it for you:

[with adjective or noun modifier] a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people

And let me find your utterly predictable input to the McCartney thread.

Whimsical nonsense ballads for the unchallenged minds of glib middle England.

And then there are the references to “bedwetters” in other music threads. So hmmm, I wonder why you didn’t go with the full definition.

So, yeah, grum +1

MrSmith
    Free Member

So I don’t like certain kinds of music and am happy to say what I think of them makes me a snob? If that’s your opinion so be it.
    The fact it gets your goat is just a bonus.

piemonster

Edit: actually beaten to it by it actually happening. 😀

Edric64
    Free Member

Live in Bath
    Honda Accord
    Dawes Hardtail
    On One single speed
    Steel Roadbikes (old ones )
    Balding
    No Beard
    Central Heating /no woodburner
    Read The Mail
    Window cleaner

Shall I get my coat ?

Northwind

I own 3 Cotics, an Orange and a Ragley. But no fatbikes, Audis or woodburners.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well. That’s not cool. Why would pissing someone off make you happy? 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So I don’t like certain kinds of music and am happy to say what I think of them anybody who does [/i] makes me a snob? If that’s your opinion so be it.

FTFY. That’s what makes someone a snob. Why didn’t you include the full definition? It was pretty word for word from the OED site. Was there something in the second half you didn’t like or that you recognised?

You like the attention really. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I own 3 Cotics, an Orange and a Ragley. But no fatbikes, Audis or woodburners.

Doesn’t matter, Northwind. You are royalty here, as you are the #1 poster.

Northwind

I never am

Jamie
    Free Member

You are.

grum
    Free Member

Well. That’s not cool. Why would pissing someone off make you happy?

Presumably he likes pissing off ‘bedwetters’ like darcy.

Northwind

I’d like to thank all my fans.

Jamie
    Free Member

Presumably he likes pissing off ‘bedwetters’.

That seems like an awful lot of piss.

I’d like to thank all my fans.

*salutes*

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Who is the most stereotypical STWer?’ is closed to new replies.