Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • Who is the most stereotypical STWer?
  • grum
    Free Member

DBW puts in a strong performance here I think:

Forgot to add that as well as the decent IT job, I drive a VAG estate (has lots of Audi bits bolted to it), own an Orange Five (1×9’d with a Reverb and massive wide bars) and have two woodburners, a full log store thats neatly arranged and a nice coffee maker. Oh and I wear Oakley specs. And I live in Calderdale. And I have a beard/gypo stubble.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tell-me-about-your-job/page/6#post-5431107

I live in Calderdale, have a beard and woodburner but I struggle with the rest TBH. I have a Gransfors Bruks axe if that helps?

Anyone else think they can beat DBW? And what would be the other criteria you would need to fit to do even better? Surely owning some sort of rigid single speed/fatbike preferably made by On-One is a biggie.

wrecker
    Free Member

And I have a beard/gypo stubble.

The only box I tick.

samuri
    Free Member

I’d like to see us change the stereotype myself. Can we not change it to be ‘works in the health service’ although I appreciate while more factually correct, it’s not as much fun.

If we’re continuing down this path though, we need to include

doesn’t actually ride much at all
    Wears full body armour for riding down the shops
    Goes to the alps on holiday, or Whistler which is in China or somewhere
    Is fat but considers themselves ‘chunky’
    Considers 3 grand on a bike entirely appropriate.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well its not me though my Bike choice is fairly sterotypical for here

drummer
    Free Member

I have a beard, an open fire ( cheap axe ),work in Mechanical design, I have a veedub estate not an Audi but I do have Orange Alpine and an on one

woody2000

I live in Calderdale, work in IT, have a beard, drive a VW estate and ride a 456.

Do I win?

deluded
    Free Member

No such thing.

There’s left (mainly left), liberal, right, conformist, non-conformist, low, medium and high wage earners. Swathes of experience from all walks of life with a huge range of experience and skills. The sort of place where if you talk BS on a subject, someone’s likely to know and call you on it.

I drive an Audi and a ride bike with more suspension than I have skill.

woody2000

Oh, and I’m middle aged. DBW is a whippersnapper 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Think you need a 456 and an Orange Five to really clinch it TBH. Maybe a fatbike too.

njee20
    Free Member

Molgrips has to be up there!

IT worker
    VAG car
    Owns an Orange
    Starts myriad inane threads

No offense Molly 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Be interesting to know if you’re STW traits are actually influenced by STW or were in place before you signed up? I think I’ve become more STW since coming here 😕

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m a graphic designer, capable of growing a beard, have a bike van (VW… Caddy… Pimped), a Santa Cruz, a Cervelo, a Soul, a Single-speed, a Roadrat, a Merkur, a guitar, a coffee machine, a mediocre hi-fi with awsomes cables, I have a wood, an axe and lots of 2-stroke-engined man toys.

And I’m an argumentative f***er!

somouk
    Free Member

I’m halfway there in driving a VAG, working IT and having stubble most of the time.

No orange 5 or living in a nice part of the country for me though 🙁

I think there is more of a chance that the stereotype will change following the jobs thread.

peterfile
    Free Member

I think I’ve become more STW since coming here

+1

woody2000

I’ve had an Orange 5 in the past…..

footflaps

I was a Tory MP before I started posting on here, then I saw the light and became left wing, ditched the Bentley, bought a Ti HT SS and moved into IT.

tomhoward

My step dad comes close. Are you on here Chris? I’ve long suspected you are/lurk….

Works in financial services.
    Drives a white audi, having just got rid of a black one.
    Ride a trek Ex8, but wants a five.
    Doesn’t ride as much as he used to.
    Lives in Huddersfield.
    Owns Woodland, measured in acres.
    Has a log store.
    Swapped out an open fire for a stove.
    Has a proper coffee machine.
    Has iPhone and iPad.

andypaul99
    Free Member

maybe?

zzjabzz
    Free Member

I could be the least stereotypical:

Poorly paid caretaker’s job, no car, ride GT/SE/DMR (no helmet), economy 7 storage heaters warm my flat, drink tea out of a mug and made with a teabag, live in Sale Moor (no hills) and I shave with, get this, an electric shaver!

Drac

Audi
    iPhone
    iPad
    Macbook
    Orange
    Santa Cruz
    Log Burner
    ChainSaw
    Posh Razor
    Faux Bivvi
    Talk about riding more than riding
    Border Terrier

Yeah I fit in there somewhere.

psling
    Free Member

Not me. I don’t live in Calderdale, I don’t have a beard, I don’t have a coffee machine, I don’t drive a VAG vehicle, I do have an Orange but it’s a 10 year old P7, and… sod the woodpile, I work in a sawmill 8)

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m not particularly stereotypical but I do meet the following criteria.

Own a 456
    Own a BFe
    Own a bike with much more travel than local trails necessitate (Enduro Evo/North Brum)
    Own a Merker
    Am overweight
    Don’t ride as much as I should/want to
    Am generally unshaven

Hmm thats quite a few things isn’t it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve had a 456 in the past. I also own a singlespeed.

I’m not sure whats becoming more STW-ey though – riding Orange Fives/steel hardtails around Calderdale or mincing around the South Downs on a 6″ full bouncer from Lapierre/Canyon etc.

bearnecessities

doesn’t actually ride much at all

I’m about to sell my bike, which is pretty hard to imagine having waited so long to obtain.

🙁

S_J
    Free Member

Interview with an STW’er

Rides – 29 inch, singlespeed Fat bike
    Best Riding Location – Mind your own business! I don’t want anyone else riding my trails!
    One essential Cycling accessory – A beard
    Lives – Somewhere in the hills
    Drives – Skoda Octavia estate, Land Rover Defender or nothing as cars are for people with small genitals
    Reads – Anything but the Daily Mail
    Favourite Music – Anything that nobody else has heard of and absolutely nothing you can buy in HMV or has been near a commercial chart, ever.
    Favourite Film – Anything in black and white with subtitles
    Other hobbies – wood carving

warton
    Free Member

Beard – Tick
    Coffee Snob – Tick
    IT – Tick
    Log Burner – Tick
    Roadie – Tick
    Don’t actually own a MTB – Tick

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve just had another thought – I don’t own a cross bike (although part of me would like one, despite them being wrong on so many levels). Nor do I own a road bike, or know what a sportive is, or a cat 1 climb.

matt_outandabout

I have a Gransfors Bruks axe if that helps?

Get thee over to Songofthepaddle…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

And another (based on S_J’s comment above). My VAG estate is actually a Skoda Octavia. And I had a Mondeo before that. And I’ve been thinking about an Audi A4 to replace the Skoda. Or a T5 camper.

I think that puts me up there again despite lack of fat/road/cross/29″ bikes…

HansRey

ride a Cotic and a Marin, live in Scandinavia, Corolla estate, no land, state central heating, skinny, bikes cost less than a grand and always have atleast 6months of tea stored in the flat

not STW, at all.

I reckon the classic STW-er also has the latest POC and Häglöfs gear, and more mudguards on their helitaped, handpolished nichemobiles than ever considered reasonable

emsz
    Free Member

Can’t drive

My chameleon is currently at my parents house, can’t remember the last time I rode it

Not in IT

Haven’t got a beard ( can’t grow one either!!)

Any old coffee will do

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

And I’m an opinionated d*ckhead. That surely gives me the win!?

D0NK

it – check
    cant be arsed shaving properly – you bet
    on-one owner – yep
    that’s about it

Whilst on the subjest, what’s the deal with “VAG” owners, why the need to put that instead of VW skoda audi etc? is this an accepted (in the rest of the world – not just here) convention I’m unaware of or is it shamed skoda/audi owners who don’t want to own up? Or aspirational types hinting that it might be a porsche?

tomhoward

emsz – Member
    Can’t drive

My chameleon is currently at my parents house, can’t remember the last time I rode it

Not in IT

Haven’t got a beard ( can’t grow one either!!)

Any old coffee will do

I’m a girl.

FTFY, you’re well down the order!

ads678

I’m 37, slightly overweight, an Engineer (civil), ride a 29er inbred and an Orange 5, sometimes have a beard, used to live in Halifax, drive a Passat estate, soon to be replaced by a Sharan or A6 though (love the VAG), have a coffee machine (although I never use it).

So i’m pretty STW I think 😀 or 😳

allthepies
    Free Member

VAG motor: yup
    Orange 5: yup
    29er: yup
    Espresso machine and grinder: yup
    IT nerd: yup
    Real Ale wierdo: yup
    Beard: no
    Wood freak: no
    Lefty hand wringer: no

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

VAG motor: Nope
    Orange 5: Nope
    29er: Nope
    Espresso machine and grinder: Nope
    IT nerd: Nope
    Real Ale wierdo: Very much so
    Beard: Nope
    Wood freak: Nope
    Lefty hand wringer: Nope

What do I win?

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t stand coffee, and don’t use a posh poncy, old fashioned razor.
    So that’s me out.

binners

I don’t own a car, a log burner, a 5, a 29er or an expresso machine. I don’t work in IT, can’t stand real ale, and if I grew a beard I’d look like I’d put my head on upside down.

I really don’t know what I’m doing here

Oh… hang on a minute… I’m fat, bald and middle aged, and love spouting opinions, and loftily pontificating on subjects I know little or nothing about, as if I was a world authority 😀

psling
    Free Member

Whilst on the subjest, what’s the deal with “VAG” owners, why the need to put that instead of VW skoda audi etc? is this an accepted (in the rest of the world – not just here) convention I’m unaware of

Could be because that’s the actual name of the Group that owns those Brands and is used worldwide? Plus, it’s a lot quicker to type… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Who is the most stereotypical STWer?’ is closed to new replies.