Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Who carries beer on rides?
  • fatboyjon

I’m all in favour of a pub stop towards the end of a nice ride but last night we happened accross 3 riders standing drinking cans of Stella at the top of a descent. Now a beer with a view sounds grand but it was dark, non too warm, they were by a fairly busy road with no view except the trees they were about to ride into.

Anyone else lug their own tinnies about rather than stopping at the boozer?

bunnerscj
    Free Member

always have some buds in the boot of the motor for post ride beerage 😆
    **** drinking on the trails at night !

LoCo
    Free Member

No definatly not, although I’ve been on a couple of very silly group nightrides, where cases of beer appeared out the bushes at the top of downhills and were chugged, quite a few people crashing followed 😀

Taff
    Free Member

In my downhilling days we used to take a crate on the odd occasion – do some building – drinking – riding – water the trees. Too old for all that shenanigans now 🙄 I like a pint in a pub if the opportunity arises.

fasthaggis

Beer !

Egads man have you no shame ?
    A (titanium )hipflask with a suitable malt ,is the only way to travel,if one must indulge.

Off with you and your special brew crew. 😛

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Nope, been known to carry a hip flask though 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No, I dont want to get pissed on my own.

fatboyjon

Calm down fasthaggis, we’d already passed round the hipflask several times as we generally do. And yes, it was a nice single malt – Quarter cask Laphroaig if you must pry.

fasthaggis

🙂

Kunstler

Hmm… I see a demand for trailside catering. I’m going to carry a fully stocked bar in my cargo trailer. That might make a bothy tour interesting.

scruff
    Free Member

I often pop in the off license on my way back on a ride.

nedrapier

I did the Moquito Bikes “Hell of the North Downs” ride about 15 ( 😯 ) years ago, mate and me kept passing the same older gent cruising along on his tourer with racks and panniers. Granted, we had a couple of mechanicals, but he must have been taking short cuts! We were young, and probably shared a sneer over his choice of machinery.

Got to the lunch stop, he was there already (of course) and he’d pulled out a full on picnic and a couple of tinnies of Grolsch! We couldn’t help thinking he was onto something!

dazzlingboy

+1 for hippie and malt!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Charlie The Bikemonger likes his ale I seem to remember.

GW
    Free Member

Sometime in the 90’s I was spectating during seeding at a DH national at innerleithen and Steve Peat came through the quarry and just before the ski jump… pssssssttt… double puncture! I walked back down the track to see him sat in a folding chair with a stella while his mechanic held his bike. Anyway, blame him for every DH rider that thinks Stella is actually a nice beer!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

>Charlie The Bikemonger likes his ale I seem to remember.

I rode in the inaugural orienbeering event many moons ago. Putting the better beers at the more remote checkpoints was inspired.

Reckon beer is too weight intensive to lug around, hip flask on a night ride thats a different matter. Mind you I remember doing the Freeraid (original incarnation of the Passeport) and when we got back into Les Gets the stands were packing up. The beer tent was giving away beer so we drank as much as we could, filled our 3L camelbak bladders with it, and then rode back to the campsite (le grange au frene, substantially uphill from the town). Pretty sure we didnt get much riding done the day after…

SnS
    Free Member

Not taken beer, but once took red wine.
    Halloween – Solo night ride on the tops – Took one of them small plastic bottles of red with me.

Got to the top of the biggest climb & was looking forward to seeing some sights before riding back – wrong – it was pitch black – D’uh – Idiot !

Halfway down the bottle – What’s them wierd noises ??? – Head torch on to reveal a load of sheep in a perfect semi circle… just looking at me – Kinda freaked me out with their eyes reflecting back & none of them moving so much as a muscle.
    Got back on bike pretty sharpish & finished the wine at home.

Chris

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Last Tuesday was a nip of Sloe Gin near the top of **** just outside of *******, this week was Jack on ****** ****. Very nice in the wind!!

thought that was what winter night rides were for

moose2008
    Free Member

+1 for the hip flask and single malt, you need some stirrup cups to share round though. Not everyone likes straight whisky so a small drop of mead in your single malt does wonders for the non whisky lovers. If you don’t like to share stick some lagavulin in your flask, its top class but only a real con will like it, and he’d probably have his own to share too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Who carries beer on rides?’ is closed to new replies.