Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • whinlatter enduro is open………..;o)
  • ton

i failed to finish last year.
    i WILL be better prepared this year.

boxelder

Top ten for me this time (at least with the entry list as it is now).

ton

this is a proper tough one.
    looks like everyone has bottled it.. 😉

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i've just had a look at the website and it didn't really give much info. what's the course like/length etc? couldn't see anything like that on the website.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Well if its anything like last year it was a horrendous 2 lap affair, i finished but it broke me….

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

i dont know what its like, the course, how hard it is etc, never ridden round whinlatter, but ive entered, and the 1st SS entry : 😈

actiondan
    Free Member

Just entered the Enduro 😈

neil853
    Free Member

i did it last year and the course was rubbish and not to mention really tough. Thinking about it though as i've heard that they are going to include more singletrack. Think about it over christmas 😉

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Looks good, it says it takes in the Altura trail which could be either a 10k loop, a 9k loop or both 🙂
    Ton any idea of the route it did last year?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Last year it took in parts of Whinlatter backwards and was 2 laps of around 20K, and its was truly horrible.

dickie
    Free Member

I came second last, pushed myself too far. Set off at 10.30 & finished at 17.30 – had to sit down for 10 mins a mile before the finish, had to be helped to the car & driven home.
    Nearest I've ever come to been very concerned for for my health – even all the marshall's had left the course – I was hoping for a ride back in a Landrover.
    So thinking of giving it a go again this year!!

MrSparkle
    Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

thats the one, get on it, i dont want to be the only one speeder…….

dickydutch

My first ever race last year!
    Loved it although it was really tough. Finished with mid table mediocrity. I was pleased though considering the drop out rate!! I was in pain for a good 2 days afterwards. I think I'd ripped the lining out of my throat breathing that hard up the climbs!

warton
    Free Member

30 miles?
    It can't be that hard, can it?

uplink
    Free Member

It can't be that hard, can it?

I was thinking that but everyone seems to be concurring so ………. ???

karnali
    Free Member

thew worst thing about lasts years event was it was advertised as 30 miles but was closer to 36 and you passed the entrance to the carpark at whinlatter after 30 miles but knew there was still a rather large climb to do to then descend back down to the finish at the other end of said carpark

thefallguy
    Free Member

this was the route posted on the internet last year

I rode Whinlatter the previous day to last years event and there looked to be much use of forest roads rather than just doing the Altura a few times

dickydutch

It wasnt that bad really. Definitely harder than Grizedale challenge.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

It wasn't that hard, but the route took folks past the cafe three times before the finish giving plenty of opportunities to bail. Some riders were unprepared physically and mentally by the looks of things. I was happy to finish in over 5 hours and not get lapped by the elite riders…
    I may do half singlespeed this one…then I'll have an excuse for walking the long climbs 😉

tragically1969
    Free Member

Some riders were unprepared…..and mentally

I think thats what did me in, i cracked on the second lap up that god awful climb after the short road section down towards Lorton, still finished though and swore never again…..well maybe just one more time !

MrSparkle

thats the one, get on it, i dont want to be the only one speeder…….

Might have a dabble, trev. Not done owt since Kielder and Three Peaks so I could do with a goal to help me get some lard off…

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

well ive not done owt since SSUK so your ahead of me already…… 😀

lowey

I'd rather pull a kidney out of my arse with a piece of rusty barbed wire.

Each to their own.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

lowey – Member
    I'd rather pull a kidney out of my arse with a piece of rusty barbed wire.

THAT HAS CRACKED ME UP !!!!!!!! 😆 😛

steve_b77
    Free Member

Looks like something I might like to do, gotta get some serious miles in before I had off on a London to Paris over 3 1/2 days in July

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

MMMM looks interesting – so how does it compare to the Clone Valley challenge – my personal bench mark for mind numbing hardness

crazy-legs

I think the problem is that a lot of people look at it and go "hmm, 30 miles can't be that hard"

🙄

davetrave
    Free Member

Finished on foot last year – ran in the last mile or so after the shock gave up and the shaft sheared from it's mount. My Edge said 58km completed (for a 50km course!) and about 3000m of ascent…

That fireroad climb on the last section of the lap was a mind numbing, leg sapping drag though, especially on the last lap so near the end. Just entering the singletrack after that was when the bike gave up the ghost.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

It wasnt 'that' hard. I did it on general fitness and would have found it even easier if i hadnt ridden back down a couple of big descents to help a mate up which was stupid.

BUT it was definately the hardest 36mls i had ever ridden if that makes sense. The conditions were pretty good so cant really blame that. I think its just the fact that you were either climbing or descending for 36mls that did for people.

Oh and just saying that last hill was a big hill doesnt do it justice. There was two big hills, one up a grassy bank and the second was that very fine aggregate which grabbed big tyres when wet and went on and on. You were looking at a good chunk of time in the saddle at a point where you thought you had finished.

t-p26
    Free Member

Will the timing be done the same way as last year or will the timing transponder be attached in a more secure manner. It would ve been nice to have the option to carry on to do the second lap 😉

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

im really looking forward to this now!

boxelder

its was truly horrible.

Events should hurt – it's what mountain biking is for. A comfort zone is only any use if you leave it once in a while.

i did it last year and the course was rubbish

Rubbish?

Where do you normally ride?
    The fire roads allowed overtaking and added variety.
    I mailed the organiser after last years race and he was pretty down about negative comments regarding the course. If you know Whinlatter, you'll know what a good job they did getting 30+ miles in. Yes, it was a way short of perfect, but he was talking about not bothering running it this year. Positive criticism improves things, sniping and whinging kills them. And before anyone says the huge sums of money they earn, think again. Try running an event and see what your hourly earnings come out as.
    If we want a thriving and varied race/event scene, support it.
    Tons got the right attitude I reckon – must try harder.

MikeWW
    Free Member

I thought it was great
    Did it with my 14 year old until I snapped my chain and had to walk a couple of miles. Think it was about 4 hrs 20 in the end-bit quicker for him
    Will get entered next couple of days-should be a good warm up for 2010

stoney
    Free Member

I finished in 4.19 on an SS. I recon i lost 15mins+ being off the bike with the most horrendous cramp i`ve ever had. Was tough though, 😥 and im local to whinlatter!
    Going geared this time. ❗

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Toughest event I did last year but I did it on a single speed.

Came in 93rd in 4hr 19mins.

I should have just moved in to our new house around the time of this event, so I can't commit this time.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘whinlatter enduro is open………..;o)’ is closed to new replies.