Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which tyre for tubeless?
  • dano
    Free Member

do you run standard tyres on ust rims, or go for ust tyres? Whats your favourite for winter trail centre tracks??

Northwind

I use standard tyres, UST is too much weight penalty for too little benefit. But I’m quite impressed with specialized 2bliss, just put an Eskar on one bike and it gives most of the benefits of UST tyres and weighs as much as you’d expect from a standard one. Very good.

My favourite for winter trail centres is like everyone else’s favourite- first I arbitrarily decided on a brand that I hate, despite having not used any of their tyres. Then I dismissed some other brands summarily on the basis that they’re too expensive/cheap. Then, from the reduced pool of brands I bought a tyre completely at random after doing no research other than reading a couple of idiot’s opinions on the internet, and after one 15 minute ride decided it was either the best or worst tyre ever. After a brief process of elimination I found a tyre that wasn’t the worst tyre ever which clearly therefore was the best, and so I will now never consider another tyre on pain of death.

So, I would recommend Kenda Nevegals with a 2.1 or 2.35 stick-e on the front and a 2.1 DTC on the back. By pure luck this is actually a pretty good recommendation but if the straws had fallen differently I might be telling you to put a Hookworm on the front and a 2.7 Minion on the rear.

Android
    Free Member

Best to run UST tyres on UST rims, with Stans sealant. I use Bontrager Mud X which are good in the winter and pretty good in the dry too. I never change them until the wear out.

dano
    Free Member

I have been running fire xc ust all summer, but they were a bit silppery in the wet last week…thinking of nobby nics, or high roller 2.35, maybe rubber queens… There is way more choice for non ust though and with sealent it may just be a winner?

Northwind

Non-ust Rubber Queens are pretty hard to seal up tubeless, they mount fine but the sidewalls are very porous, took about twice as much sealant to get them to stop fizzing as I’ve ever used for any other tyre. Not bad though, I thought they didn’t live up to the hype but they’re big, reasonably quick and reasonably grippy. Great in a straight line, less good on flat corners. Like a smaller tyre in most ways really except for weight- less drag than you’d expect from a 2.4 but also less grip.

rewski
    Free Member

Bonty mud xs are awesome

jim
    Free Member

But I’m quite impressed with specialized 2bliss

Seconded.

Dancake
    Free Member

I run maxxis. Ardent 29er on front with Stans rim
    Advantage on back with Ghetto tape setup

Both run with Sealant and have been problem free so far. I can run the fron as soft as I like. Like to keep the rear aired as I am a fat arse

edit. Not sure about mud performance ❓

drain

LOL at Northwind’s tyre selection process – probably a bit close to the truth!

Bonty tubeless ready all seem quite good value and relatively light for tubeless. Personally reckon Nobby Nics UST are great all round – but not cheap. Some good 2nd hand bargains around.

cookeaa

I’m quite impressed with specialized 2bliss

thirdeded…

Eskars and Captains used here, storms are now available in “2bliss” mode for winter use….

dano
    Free Member

I’m not planning on riding in a lot of mud on the full suss, so mostly for trail centre use…I guess when its wet and rocky everything is slippery, but you want the most grip possible when its like that…From the sounds of things running non ust sounds like a good option…

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I’m experiencing love from ignitors LUST up front, with Conti MKings rear…believe it or not.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

High rollers, one of the few tyres that work in just about any situation so ideal for tubeless.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I ride LUST Advantage tyres and rate them. Should be really good at trail centres as they’re good on rock but not so hot in the mud. The 2.1″ is pretty big, just wish they did the larger one on UST.

nickegg
    Free Member

I’ve settled on Maxxis 2.35 Ignitor LUST front and 2.25 Ardent LUST rear(2.25 Crossmark LUST rear on the summer).

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I’m using standard Fire XCs, however I was being led by budget more than anything else. I want to change them as the sidewalls were really porous (and still are I think) and they’re quite a loose fit on the 717 rims with Joes No Tubes kit.
    Probably going to look at UST tyres instead.

eshershore
    Free Member

Specialized Control (2-Bliss) are easily the best for tubeless conversion IMO

grippy (dual compound), seal very easily, light (kevlar bead), tough and affordable (£45 pair)

I run the Captain, Eskar, Clutch SX and Purgatory tires on my all-mountain bike depending on time of year and what kind of riding I’m doing on the bike

and the Fast Trak LK on my 100mm play-bike, which is used for dirt jumping and pump track

all on Stan’s ZTR rims with Roval tape, Stans valve cores and 3 cups of Stan’s Solution (sealent)

never had any issues

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which tyre for tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.