Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • which towbar bike rack
  • woops
    Free Member

Am getting a new vehicle (VW T5 with van double doors). Bike rack that will attach to the doors only holds 2 bikes so I am looking at getting a towbar fitted and a towbar bike rack. Am looking at holding up to 2 adult bikes and 2 kids bikes. What are the recommended bike racks out there.

How do the low racks (that support the wheels) compare to the high racks (that you hand the crossbar on) compare

thehustler
    Free Member

Pendle, had mine for about 10 years still going strong, cant say fairer than that….

turin
    Free Member

I got one of these buzz racks about a year ago, I think its mighty fine and has all of the functions of the expensive ones but much cheapness

I got mine from roofbox

buzz

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MarkN
    Free Member

Not seen/used the Pendle rack. I do have and have seen the Thules racks though. I have the cheaper version about £130 for 3 bike variant. The more expensive versions with the fancy hitch lock and tipping mech are also very good but at £3-400 they should be I guess.

Having had various racks that support the frames I have found the wheel rack so much easier to use and load bikes on to. Bikes just go on and off, the kids can sort their own. The number plate and lights are part of the rack so no trying to hang it on after or risking not fitting.

honourablegeorge

Have you any choice on the double doors?

Would always prefer the single rear door.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

OOh new van, where you getting that from? In the market myself and looking around to see who is doing what

woops
    Free Member

Not a new van but a leisuredrive camper conversion of a van that is a few years old.

For that reason I can not choose single tailgate door over van doors. (or I could but that one would be 5K more).

The MaxxRaxx look quite good. Even looks like van doors would open either side of it.

charliemort

atera is very good

br
    Free Member

I’ve had the cheap Thule 3-bike for a few years, but if buying again I’d go for either the dearer one or the Pendle.

Riding buddies have both, and they are very good – the Thule tips for access and with the Pendle you can have it spec’d, e.g. friend with a Defender has his extra long to clear the spare wheel.

turin
    Free Member

The maxx rack is surprisingly good, the model I have has three stages of tilt, the rack locks to the towbar and teh bikes are locked through the clamp, all with the same key. It folds down nicely with the vertical supports having a click thingy.

votchy
    Free Member

Got the atera XL one with the 4th bike add on, so far, so good. carried 3 adult bikes (18″, 15″ and 14″ frames) and a 24″ wheeled kids bike using the additional straps to the top of the tailgate to devon and back (380 mile round trip) with no issues, the extra weight is noticeable hanging off the back if you corner enthusiastically (Mondeo estate).

hammerite
    Free Member

We have this. It’s an excellent rack, keeps the bikes very stable. It’s also very quick to set up.

The only problem I have with it is when I put 3 bikes on it. I hate the bikes touching eachother, and the holding bars touching the other bikes (i.e. the longest bar touching against the 2 bikes closest the car). Generally you can just about do it so they don’t touch, but it can take some work getting them perfectly in place.

excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve got a 4 bike version of this for an Audi and a 2 bike version for a Mini Countryman:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/atera_strada_dl_2_to_3_bike_carrier_uk_lights_no_ar2602/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4ure5K%7BWW

Atera actually make the VW, Audi, BMW & Mini bike carriers you can buy from the car companies direct but obviously re badged for an infalted price (Not that relevant but the bike carrier for the Mini Countryman fits in the bumper, have a look on the Mini web site it’s exactly the same as the Atera one but with a special frame underneath it).

The nice thing about these is that they tilt down so you don’t have to take the bikes off to get in the boot etc.

Atera also make the roof bars and the bike carriers that slot on to them for the same car companies. I bought some Atera roof bars and bike carriers for the Audi and when we bought the Countryman the bike carriers slot straight onto the Mini roof bars I asked them to throw in.

Make sure you get a Westfalia tow bar (they do a detachable version). They also make the factory fitted tow bars for VW & Audi. Again I had one fitted to the Audi and it’s that compatible that it all fits in the polystyrene cut out with the jack etc !

DaveRambo

+1 for an Atera

I bought this
    Atera Carrier and took 4 bikes to the south of France with no problem.

Being low down is good for economy if you’re going a long way and it allows the bikes to slide away so you can get into the back of the car/van. Only issue I had was going up a very steep path where the carrier grounded – no damage though as it’s very well built.

I also used the extra straps for peace of mind

Edit:
    Forgot to mention that I like the way that the carrier locks to the towbar and the bikes all get locked to the carrier.
    Not secure enough to leave them overnight somewhere unsafe but they can’t be taken off easily without the keys

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘which towbar bike rack’ is closed to new replies.