Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Which Merino socks?
  • ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi, does anyone have any comments on merino socks? [ Endura baa baa / Garburn / Polaris etc ] . Thanks.

nickc

They're probably expensive, and probably no better than a good ordinary wool pair…probably.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I have some Polaris ones which fit like bin bags, but are cheap. Some superfeet adrenaline ones which are utterly fab, best fitting sock I've ever had, but v expensive. Some Kathmandu superfeet adrenaline copies, which are just as ace and cheaper. I also have some Columbus ones from TK maxx, chepa and very fluffy, v warm even when sopaking wet.

The superfeet/kathmandu are a merino/polyp mix, so fairly durable. I wear them all the time, not just for biking. Keeps me tootsies whiff free.

Martin_pendle
    Free Member

I've used Smartwool and Icebreaker for Biking and Running with no complaints, discomfort or blisters.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

They are good, keep your feet warm even when wet, I've just ordered some Assos Winter plus as I like Assos gear however the Defeet wollie boolie ones are very good so are Defeet woolieators and smartwool.

nockmeister
    Free Member

I use Garburn, gotten cheap off Ebay…they are toasty

scuttler

These (clicky) work for me under a pair of unlined Sealskinz.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

In my experience they work as advertised, but wear out quick.

Sealskins are OK, but best of all are my Shimano winter boots, the only real solution to cold feet in the winter.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I got myself some of these following a recomendation from another rider:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-PAIR-OF-MEDIUM-MERINO-WOOL-HIKING-SOCKS_W0QQitemZ160369750632QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE?hash=item2556c83268

Quite impressed with 'em as I'd previously suffered badly once wet and these are definately an improvement over std wool.

Can't draw a first-hand comparison with woolie boolies though as I've not tried those.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I got a few pairs of the On One ones that they were selling a while (years?) ago. Comfy, cosy and about as durable as a few sheets of Lidl bog roll 😉

Alpkit do some good fairly cheap socks in various flavours to suit your podiatary needs.

thejesmonddingo

Gooutdoors own brand,were 3 pairs for £10.Bargain.
    Ian

dmiller
    Free Member

I got a pair of these at the weekend:
    https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm#/Mens/Socks/PerformanceSocks/_/2389/

From flying fox bikes – maybe give them a call on 01259 762200?

I have only used them this morning for the first time but they were a revelation in foot warmth after using sealskins! Nicely thick – feel very nice on!

David.

BigJohn

I've got some thin Rapha ones which are lovely.

wormhole

got 4 pairs of these….brilliant they are 😛

[/url]

househusband

Received some Endura BaaBaa merino socks last week… they are very thin – so much so that you can actually see your skin through them. They're certainly not in the same warm, fluffy category as the Smartwool and Woolie Boolie socks I also have.

wormhole

grrrrrr

Steve_B

http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/merinowoolcyclingsocks.htm

another vote for the bikemaps merino – thought they were a bit cheaply made but seem to be lasting fine

UK-FLATLANDER

Another vote for Smartwool sock, great all year.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Just looked at the bikemaps link. "FLAT TOE SEEM TO PREVENT BLISTERS" Can't anyone spell these days or aren't they sure whether blisters are prevented or not!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I got some salomon ones 3 years ago from tkmaxx, still going strong, unlike the rubbish sockguy normal wool socks which last about 6 rides.

Del

ground effect ones rock. merino inner, poly outer to keep 'em in one piece. lasting very well for me.

bowglie

Got some Assos winter plus socks as a pressie last Xmas (original pressie eh?!) Initially sceptical, as they're relatively thin. But, to my surprise, they've turned out to be warmer than Woolie Boolies and merino walking socks that I normally use.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Chocolatefish merino – have been wearing every day for 2 year+ and none of them have holes yet 🙂

SSP

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you're a member Costco do some 76% merino wool socks in 3-packs and they're proper cheap and very warm.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have 14 pairs of Defeet Woollie Boolies, had them for the past three years wear them all year round and still going strong. The really good thing is with them is that they tumble dry too unlike alot of other brands.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, lots of socks to choose from.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I got 3 pairs of on-ones for a tenner a year ago. Starting to get a bit thin but they were only ten quid all in.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Also using the 3/£10 Go Outdoors ones, seem good so far.

MoreCashThanDash

As per ecky thump, those Costco/Kirkland merino trail socks are great – nice and warm, even when wet, go great inside winter boots

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Which Merino socks?’ is closed to new replies.