Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which footwear for flats?
  • lotto
    Free Member

As title. Thank you

jedi

i wear 6.0 nike bmx canvas ones so they dry out quickly

jambalaya
    Free Member

fivetens fore me, other thread here

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

5.10 but they do soak in water like a sponge.

dingabell
    Free Member

Fiveten’s are amazing. Haven’t personally noticed them soaking up any more water than any other shoe, and they’re so comfortable. The Danny Mcaskill ones look pretty nice.

jp-t853

I have blacks own brand waterproof walking shoes. you can wear them to walk in too. I think they were 25 quid in the sale. I have generally used old brasher walking shoes in the past when a new pair came along.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

I use my Merrel walking shoes, they are pretty expensive compared to some of the cheap skate shoes you can get but they work very well. Takes a lot before my feet get wet, they are warm, grip pedals very well and grip the ground very well for if I need to push my bike.
    Plus I can use them when I go hiking as well which was originally why I bought them.
    Decathalon probably has similar shoes for a quarter of the price.

alpin
    Free Member

another for Nike 6.0s here.

nice grippy sole, but not overly grippy – if that makes sense…

have a look at your nearest Nike outlet. got my last pair for 25 quid. three previous pairs for 30 quid each (two of those still going strong).

if you can find a Mogan Mid it offers a little protecion for your ankles,too.

SaxonRider

I now use some waterproof Hi-Tec walkers. They work a charm, and cost me £39.99 at Go Outdoors.

gren
    Free Member

Vans Gravels. Before that I was using Salomon trail shoes but the pins were trashing them and my feet were freezing.

Vans seem solid and the grippy waffle soles really hang on to the pins

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I was going to post a PSA but these are damn good and dirt cheap, I bought some a few weeks ago for £30, I’m not using them for biking but they’d be ideal.

http://www1.schuh.co.uk/mens-grey-circa-99-vulc/3419127550

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Are bike specific flat shoes a bit stiffer than skate shoes, cos I’d grb some of those from Schuh if there’s no real difference in stiffness

dingabell
    Free Member

If you’re going to use pedals with lots of pins, which are generally the norm then specific biking shoes are going to be a bit more hard wearing than skate shoes. The Fivetens have a stealth rubber sole which is solid and thick enough, but is also really soft and grippy if that makes sense? They really are the closest thing to being clipped in. Some people like the fact you can’t move your feet around on the pedals without lifting them bacause they’re so grippy, others find this doesn’t suit them.

Northwind

Shimano’s AM40s, but they’re now discontinued. Less grip than a 5 10, but still miles more than enough. Thinner sole, better construction, lasted longer, better options, more weatherproof, dried faster. No contest. Unfortunately Shimano then binned that design and launched the slightly inferior, and extremely ugly replacement. Ah well.

My old 5 10s were badly put together tbh, and suffered badly when winter arrived, they fell apart in half a dozen different ways. But that does seem to have improved, I’m told they no longer use cardboard in the construction frinstance (which was a bad joke, frankly).

I do find it quite funny watching forum chat where people will first insist that you should get the thinnest possible pedal, then recommend Impacts which have incredibly thick soles.

Cheezpleez

schrickvr6, those look like a good deal. Any idea how those size up? I’m somewhere between a 9 and a 10 usually and don’t know which to go for

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’m a size 11 and I’d say they are quite generously sized. I think a 10 would be too small for me but if I was between sizes I’d go down.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which footwear for flats?’ is closed to new replies.