Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Which cut for Venison roasted bliss?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Doing venison for christmas dinner this year , now being a virgin to cooking/buying this what cut do i buy to feed 5 people …..rolled boneless shoulder or a haunch?

Enlighten me STW foodies.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Try loin.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

NomNomNomNomNomNomNOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

cinnamon_girl

Haunch. Farmed or wild? What type of deer?

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

Find a good butcher and ask for a rack of venison to feed 6, you’ve then got the option of, a rack of venison that you could dress/french then roast, a fillet, or medallions,+bones for stock/gravy + marrow.

Look for a young beast, with good narrow graining on the flesh,and dark in appearance. And white fat and you wont go far wrong.

A good butcher is key now a days, and unfortunately there a dyeing breed

Nick

Depends on how confident you are, haunch is the easiest to roast. Shoulder is best slow cooked in a stew ime.

Oh and braising it in a bottle of beer (try a big bottle of leffe brune) in a covered roasting pan works well, especially if you rub the meat with djion mustard first then bard with pancetta, makes awesome gravy.

Don’t do it in wine, too much alcohol, pickles the meat, nasty.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I used to roast the haunch with a mix of red wine, orange juice and blackcurrant jam in the bottom of the tin, makes a lovely gravy. Plenty of butter rubbed all over as well as venison is a very lean meat, and baste regularly. Don’t overcook it either.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Which cut for Venison roasted bliss?’ is closed to new replies.