• This topic has 46 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • WHICH CHILD BIKE SEAT?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Front or rear mounted and pros and cons of each?

LO is 20 months and about 30lbs.

thanks

hunta

Going through the same process myself. Everything seems to point towards the WeeRide Safe Front, though obviously you’d want to hear that from someone who’s actually got one:
    http://www.weerideuk.co.uk/Weeride_Safefront.asp

Seems to get the thumbs-up from a few SW’ers:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whats-an-acceptable-aged-to-put-a-baby-in-a-bike-seat

And going cheap from Halfords via eBay at the moment:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WeeRide-Front-Safe-Child-Bike-Bicycle-Seat-Carrier-For-Baby-Child-Kids-1-4-Yrs-/201216787984?hash=item2ed9748610

windowshopper
    Free Member

Weeride?

And yes, I would definitely recommend.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

In my experience the most important question is “will it fit?” Most of the rear-mounted seats clamp onto the seat-tube. It’s not uncommon for cables, cable stops, bottle cage braze-ons etc to get in the way. Even the geomerty of the bike can affect whether the seat fits or not. I have a fairly normal looking bike – a rigid single speed 29er – and I can’t fit my existing child seat onto the seat-tube because I can’t get it high enough to clear the rear tyre.

As for front-mounted, we found that our 14 month old was simply too big. He is a big lad, but no way he nor my wife would have been comfortable.

Summary: Try before you buy.

scruff
    Free Member

Weerides front ones are good but dont work with my dropper post. I put it on the wifes Cannondale and its a struggle to fit with the 1.5 headtube. You have to pedal it bow legged, dont bother with the kiddy foot straps. Got ours from Tesco online and collected instore.

benp1

I bought a rack for my commuter, to which I can put panniers, a rack bag, a basket thing, or a kids seat

Been very pleased with my kid seat, it’s called a Polisport Guppy

5 point harness that isn’t easily unclippable by kids, easy to adjust so I can fit both my kids. I’ve been able to rig up a pannier bag to the back for some load carrying ability too

Was surprisingly good value too

glasgowdan
    Free Member

My boy is 16 months and has been absolutely LOVING the weeride for a few months. He’s tall, on the 91 line, and is in no way too big for it, although the foot rests are at their lowest setting. The straps can slip off his shoulders but to be honest it’s no big deal, I often do short rides without putting them on as he’s well between my arms anyway. He often tips his wee head back to look at me as we whizz about! I think we’ve cruised down road hills well over 35mph a few times and it feels stable, safe and above all FUN. You can talk to him easily, unlike a rear seat, the kid can see everything and has a much better experience rather than getting a view of daddy’s sweaty arse crack.

When he’s bigger I’d be keen to get something like the ‘in production’ macride.

I also had a trailer but the boy never liked it – he just flopped over and moaned!

acidchunks

dont bother with the kiddy foot straps.

Unless your child enjoys taking her shoes off and throwing them into the road, in which case use the foot straps.

bikebouy
    Free Member

STOP
    SHOUTING
    😆

richmtb

Interesting.

My colleagues bought me a Thule rear mount child seat as a present when the little one was born. She is nearly nine months old so just about the right age for me to start taking her out on short smoother rides.

The Weeride does look at bit more fun for them though

29erKeith
    Free Member

In addition to the croozer which got/gets the most use, I bought a Yepp Ahead mini. My little boy loved it, being up front and able to talk and everything was brilliant. I’ll be flogging it at some point if your interested as he’s out grown it anyway.

I went for the Yepp as could ride much more normally, much less knees out than the weerides from what I’ve seen. But! its only got a weight limit of 15kgs, also I’d say they’re very much a summer time thing, as little ones can get very cold very easily in anything but warm uk weather. hence why we used the buggy far more. there is a wind-shield attachment for the Yepp maybe for other too

jemima
    Free Member

Got the Hamax Caress rear seat. Very happy with it and the boy seems to like it too (1 YO old now but started using it around 9 mon I think). Has recline function which is good for when he drifts off (often). I was amazed how he could sleep on fairly bumpy fire roads…
    Instructions says do not use on FS bikes but I got it on the Anthem (Large) no bother with sufficient tyre clearance on full travel.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I got the ibert seat. Its front mounted. I’ve used it with all 3 of my children and its been great for us. I generally think front mounted seats are better because the child is more involved with you. The ibert allows you to put your head right next to theirs which is nice. Its simple in design but I don’t think thats a bad thing. The seat is wobbly on its mount which draws criticism, but once the child is in the seat the wobbling is not really noticeable, I certainly don’t find it an issue when riding. The ibert keeps the childs legs forward away from the pedals. I can’t recommend it enough. We tend to only ride for about an hour on fire roads mostly, I can’t remember any of them falling asleep. I think 1 was the age where we started using it. I’m still using it with my youngest who is 3.

whyter

Another thumbs-up for the Yepp Mini Ahead. Will probably get a rear fitting Yepp when the wee one outgrows the Mini – bonus is that the rear one doesn’t appear to need a rack, or rack mounts, to fit.

riddoch

Very happy weeride user here, daughter is now three and a half still fits fine. Just have to wary of the steering assistance 🙂
    There is a LOCT on the classifieds at the moment that looks similar but doesn’t have a headrest for when they fall asleep.

bfjaerem
    Free Member
    isitafox
    Free Member

Another vote for the ibert safetseat, got one for our daughter which is fitted to my wifes Raleigh I built. From what I’ve read it gives the most leg room for a front mounted seat without having to ride with your knees bowed out, I can even ride with the seat set for the wife without a real struggle.

aa
    Free Member

Organic/hunta.
    Ive a Halfords seat which is now no use to me. Its the same a a basic hamax one.
    Free to a good home. I’m based in the east midlands.

chiefgrooveguru

The WeeRide is great – though my 2.5 year old keeps trying to tell me that I need to let go of the handlebars because she is doing the steering!

infidel
    Free Member

I’ve listed the LOCT and also have a wee ride which I’ll sell soon. Clearly I’ve used both although the wee ride looks a little different now. The main differences relate to the much much reduced bulk of the LOCT which is especially noticeable when riding as (I found) you don’t bump legs into it like with the wee ride and it’s easier to manoeuvre and steer with it. My girls preferred the LOCT as they grew but there’s no way it’s suitable for real littlies as they need to have the core strength to sit up safely. That’s why I gave both – the girls progressed from one to the other.

Hope that helps?

iain1775
    Free Member

Wee Ride is the best cycling related purchase I have ever made (which is saying a lot)
    It was a sad day when the little one was too big for it

skulldigger
    Free Member

I got a weeride and was desperate for it to work out for me and the boy, from when he was 15 month to 2 years. But he didn’t really like it and I never felt safe. The bow legged riding style, the top heavy feel of the ride, I nipped his legs with the bars, he fiddled with the levers or slapped my knees at each turn, when stopping I couldn’t stand between the bike seat and the weeride so had to use dropper post to get both feet on floor etc…had to change to a trailer instead and things have improved, just as challenging but feels safer for us both 🙂

igm

Infidel is correct. WeeRide then LOCT if you can.

I just took a 4&1/2 year old down the Chavannes red in Les Gets on a LOCT – not fast and rage effect my comfort zone, but he loved it.

senorj

I wanted a wee ride but I have small frames – so it wasn’t compatible.
    We bought a Hammax siesta which did the job. Albeit on the rear.
    He’s nearly too big for it & it’s very rarely used now as he likes to sit on my cx bike’s crossbar on a piece of pipe insulation. He calls it the “crouch”.. 🙂
    My knees don’t take kindly to riding splayed apart for long distances when he’s on the “crouch” – worth bearing in mind when considering the wee ride maybe.

edhornby

I would get rear mounted tbh, you’ll get more use out of it and they are wind shielded

I’ve had inexpensive hamax ones (which are fine) actually I have one that is free to anyone who wants to collect (Manchester)

I have a Yepp which is nicer, needed it to go on the back of a kona Ute for the smallest, the upper weight limit is higher than the hamax design which is a bonus and I’m sure it’s comfier

mangoridebike

Another vote for the ibert safe t seat, it’s very simple and both kids rode in it very happily. We did the green run at Laggan with my daughter shouting “faster faster” which was very entertaining.

I’m about to put ours up for sale if anyone is interested?

hunta

Safe-t-seat looks interesting, though I see that the seat attaches to the steerer tube. How does it feel to ride? Presumably the passenger steers with the bars, which seems a little strange.

steveoath
    Free Member

I bought a front mounted seat, and due to the bike’s geometry I couldn’t actually pedal with the seat on. Have switched to a hamax which mounts perfectly. Handling does suffer though due to the extra weight to the rear.

igm

I wanted a wee ride but I have small frames – so it wasn’t compatible.

I altered a WeeRide to fit my wife’s 14″ frame. Just lengthened the slot in the slotted half of the beam and added a notch in the end so it didn’t foul. Fifteen minute with a drill, hacksaw and file.

One thing about front mounted is they get to see where they’re going and they’re inside your arms which they regard as a big cuddle. They tended to prefer that to staring at my fat behind. And I preferred it to them grabbing twigs and bits of plant and sticking them inside my shorts.

scoopthedigger
    Free Member

rear mounted will go up to approx age 5, did some school runs in their first year with one. I wouldn’t have dared use a front mount for a child of that size, I have seen people using them and the knees apart pedal style looks very uncomfortable to me for any distance. with a rear they are also shielded from wind/bugs by your body when on the back of the bike, and can and will fall asleep on longer rides (~10 mile “family trail” stuff becomes feasible). there are different extension mounting bars for the hamax for different geometry bikes so you can make them fit. yes you do have to have enough room on the seat tube to fit the clamp, but you can find plenty of other places to put your bottles.

I have a hamax sleepy reclinable in vgc I was planning to ebay, with the standard and the large frame (I ride a 21) mounting bars, collect from milton keynes area make me an offer, can give you a never-crashed toddler helmet with it as well.

igm

Just took a 4&1/2 year old down the Chavannes red DH in Les Gets on a LOCT (front/mid) mount.

I wouldn’t have dared do that on a rear mount.

toppers3933
    Free Member

FYI I have 2 front mounted Yepp ahead fitting seats for sale at £30 each +£5 postage if anyones interested. One blue and one orange. Both brand new but no box. I also have 2 rear mounting ones that attach to a pannier rack too. One silver and one orange £50 each +£5 postage. Again both brand new.

Just saying like. 😉

hunta

toppers3933, might well be interested in both your Yepp’s for our twins. Let me just does some quick research and I’ll PM you.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I’m after a baby seat as well and saw a Weeride in use yesterday. It certainly seems a better place for the baby to be. I struck up conversation with the dad and he kindly let me try his bike with seat. It was a larger bike than mine but my knees were’t as splayed as I thought they’d be. So might try a secondhand one in the next few weeks.

scaled
    Free Member

6 months old and his second ride out in his Hamax Siesta

jam-bo

One day, my Mac-ride seat might actually turn up…

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Appropriate name, that Siesta!

organic355
    Free Member

can anyone tell me the difference between the weeride “front” models?

Obviously the deluxe just has “better” padding” but there seems to me some different model names kicking about like

Kangaroo
    Safe Front
    Classic?

I am thinking the “safe front” is the latest version but not sure?

natrix
    Free Member

Neither my wife nor myself could get on with the knees out riding style required for the weeride (even after I’d taken a drill and hack saw to it to move it further forward). Found the Hamax seats to be a far better option and both the kids loved them.

organic355
    Free Member

As an update

Bought a weeride, and its going straight back.

fitted it on my turner flux and couldnt even get on the bike, impossible. Maybe my frame too small?

Also the small thumb screw that attaches the seat to the bar?? really thats the only thing attaching your little one to the bike??

i spoke to weeride before buying and said my little one was approaching the 15kg weight limit, and they said it would be fine, and that limit is only set by the EU as other front seats attach to the handle bars? even at 14kgs the seat felt flimsy and really didnt ave much confidence in the single screw attachment. The foot rests also fouled my steering hitting my forks.

There is no way this seat does ages 1-4 years, very disappointing. back to the drawing board. thin Ill look at trailers or tag-alongs

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘WHICH CHILD BIKE SEAT?’ is closed to new replies.