Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Whats an acceptable aged to put a baby in a bike seat?
  • fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

So my little girl is 7 months old now. Getting mixed opinion on what aged I can put her in a bike seat. She can sit up unaided and has great head control. But just unsure whether she’s still too young.

Does anybody have any recommendations to bike seats as well? Looked at a few but would rather get some suggestions on ones that people have used before.

I’ve also looked at trailers but they just seem too cumbersome.

TIA

m0rk
    Free Member

I had my daughter from 7 months old on the back of mine.

Wasn’t a great view forward for her, but she wasn’t going anywhere on that.

The problem I have is my heels bash the foot holder things. She’s on a weeride now, but only since she’s 2.5 as I wasn’t sure she was strong enough

Hardest thing (as you can see) is getting a helmet to fit

glasgowdan
    Free Member

My boy got into the front mounted weeride about 12-13 months, I would say he’d have been fine at 11 months. He utterly loves it! Didn’t put a helmet on for a while as it was a bit heavy but now he’s 15 months and fine with one. I’d absolutely suggest a front mounted seat…it’s lovely being able to lean over and see their face, kiss the top of their head and chat to them as you cycle along, telling them what the birds are.

doug_basqueMTB.com

They say from as soon as they can properly support the neck it´s fine. We didn´t, partly because of the fact that I´m riding a lot anayway, until this week when she´s 22 months. Absolutely loves it and she´s wanting to go faster all the time, I wish I´d made the effort earlier.

Ours is a Hamax and is supported from the seat tube. It moves a bit and when I jumped the bike a bit it bounced too much and touched the tyre. (oops!) The good thing about that is that it´s got some suspension but it only fits on some of my bikes.

It´s this one http://www.hamax.com/child-bike-seat/classic-collection/siesta-premium

toppers3933
    Free Member

Toppers jnr mk1 and 2 both went on at about 8months. Both loved it.

gkeeffe

Had my son in from about 5 months… off road in the Lakes…. he used to fall asleep on rocky downhills

chiefgrooveguru

I like the WeeRide. They get bumped about a lot, especially off road and their heads are heavy and necks flimsy. Even at a year my daughter’s head bobbed so much I’d do everything I could to ride the smoothest line possible and she had quite a small head and strong neck for her age.

sponnie
    Free Member

Have a weeride also, daughter was about 10mths when I put her in it. She had at the time very strong neck muscles and we take it slow on uneven ground. She loves it!

DickBarton

As long as they can support their head confidently…and you don’t go doing right daft mental stuff from the get go.

timmys

Weeride at about 10 months.

The Weeride branded helmets were the smallest I could find as well

ads-b
    Free Member

Mine been on a front seat since 9 months. Okbaby orion.

We got a helmet from planet x for £8. Am informed its the smallest you will find.

helmet

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Toys r us online have a good small helmet

hainman
    Free Member

My daughter was about 10-11 months and loved it but due to her liking to fall asleep easily it was a nightmare sometimes.All I would feel was her head leaning on my back and that was it,Cycle over!!!

moniex
    Free Member

In Holland they always say minimum age is 9 months. Some scare story I’ve head about a family with a younger baby that thought their child had fallen asleep, instead it had died from a broken neck. Probably just an old wives tale, but still. So if even the bike mad Dutch don’t put them in under 9 months old, there must be a reason for that. They will use special brackets to attach the maxi cosi infant seat to the bike for younger children…..

woody74

Both of ours went started around 11 to 12 months. Really once they can hold their head up well. The hardest part we found was trying to get a small enough helmet. Went with the Raleigh one from the first picture as this at the time seemed the smallest we could find. Both of ours are in a Hamax rear seats as they are just so easy to fit and remove. Kids absolutely love it but I guess they do spend a lot of time looking at your back but then again they can fall asleep with no issues.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Whats an acceptable aged to put a baby in a bike seat?’ is closed to new replies.