Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which chain device or similar?
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

I've got myself a 223 and am running a 36t ring upfront. I think the 223 takes ISCG old style guides (maybe someone could confirm). The question is which chain device will be the cheapest and keep the chain on the ring??

James

grumm
    Free Member

Blackspire Stinger? Chain has never come off since I got it.

Don't use it for full on downhill but have done Megavalanche with it.

mboy
    Free Member

It will be old style ISCG I'm pretty sure.

You've got LOADS of options, from the likes of Blackspire, Raceface etc… But the most reliable by far are MRP and E13.

I'm assuming you've got 4 arm cranks?

For a 36T ring, you can go either way… Either a Guard to cover a 32-36T ring, or a 36-40T ring. Depends if you think you'd ever use a larger ring as to which to choose probably. If you think you'd ever need a 38 or a 40, get the bigger device, otherwise get the smaller one…

I've actually got a non ISCG (it doesn't matter, it just fits against the BB shell as per normal) type 1 (for elevated chainstay bikes like the 223) MRP Slalom (fits 36-40T rings) in 4 arm fitment for sale if you're interested… It's had some use, but it's in perfect working order and it'd save you a lot of money over buying a new one!

mboy
    Free Member

Blackspire Stinger? Chain has never come off since I got it.

Blackspire stinger is for use with 2 chainrings and a front mech. On its own on a single ring setup it would be next to useless!

With chain deviced, more than ANY other bike component I've ever used, the old addage "Buy cheap, buy twice" really applies. They may seem like a lot of money for not much material, but the first time you lose the chain with a cheap chain device, you'll realise that an MRP or an E13 is worth the investment after all.

GW
    Free Member

that's not even a chain device grum..

one of the best (most reliable) chain devices for a 223 is a MRP type 1 as it has 2 spinning plates that sandwich the chain between them so even if it takes a hit bad enough to bend your crank, chainring, plates or all 3 it still won't jam. no idea what's cheapest tho. if money's tight maybe look for something secondhand rather than buy something cheap and shit new.
    oh.. and please Avoid DMR guides.

GW
    Free Member

oh.. and if you are running a 36T go for one upto 36 rather than 36-?? as it'll give you more clearance and be stronger (less leverage ond less susceptable to plates bending over)

jackal
    Free Member

Gamut P30.
    Very light and work brilliant, 36 tooth specific so you maximize ground clearance.
    I wouldn't bother with an lg-1 type chain device, go for one with a full bash ring + rollers, as the the p30 has 😉 , as well as mrp speed guides etc etc..

grumm
    Free Member

Ooops sorry I'll shut up, didn't read the post properly. 😳

squattingmouse
    Free Member

If you're not after bling I used to like the truvativ box guides. Bit noisy and not exactly pretty but very easy to fit and worked really well.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I prefer chain devices with rollers instead of an idler wheel, quieter and better for chainline I've found. The Da Bomb one for about £40 from CRC is very good for the money.

Jammy111
    Free Member

ok cheers for the advice guys.

mboy- very interested in the mrp you have for sale. could i get some pics and a price to the email in my profile?

James

jam-bo

gammut. really simple, light and really effective.

I think the p30 is the right one for a 36t chainring

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which chain device or similar?’ is closed to new replies.