Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Which Big Volume 29er Tyre for Rigid Singlespeed?
  • KarlE
    Free Member

Afternoon all, I am looking for a big volume 29er tyre to go on my rigid Karate Monkey. Ideally don't want anything too draggy.
    Cheers

thomthumb
    Free Member

2.4 racing ralph. ace 🙂

ton

wtb stout
    kenda nevegals
    both come up pretty big.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Summer RRalf 2.25
    Winter Bonty AXC 2.2

They all come up larger than their 26er counterparts.

thomthumb
    Free Member

ardent 2.4 (if you can find it in uk)

Keef
    Free Member

wtb weirwolf 2.55 (on offer at crc atm) very plush,rolls well,grips like a grippy thing,'cept in looseness or mud tho……

Clink

I run 2.4 RR in summer and currently 2.3 WTB Stout in winter. Both recommended.

Stoner
    Free Member

another 2.55 wierwolf rider here. great tyre, fast and predictable on all bu tthe sloppiest slip or wettest roots and pretty light too.

The stout weighs a ton and is pretty draggy but givesn awesome traction – leaves a furrow behind it! 🙂

Dying to try a RR 2.4 when I can convince myself the price is justifiable.

firestarter
    Free Member

how much bigger do the wierwolfs come up compared with the bontys . Ta

slowjo
    Free Member

+1 – 2.4 racing ralph.

Actually the 2.24s are ok too.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i liked the mountain king 2.4s (wont be as wide as rr 2.4) but i know there are a lot of people who dont like the Mk 🙁

emac65
    Free Member

Bonty ACX's are fairly cheap,roll well & have really good grip in anything apart from all this frozen snow of late….

Stoner
    Free Member

this big on a 35mm Gordo 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

Maxxis ardent 2.4's…I'm in the process of persuading/mithering mma to bring them in to the country.Aspen 2.25's will be in for easter (but not many so be quick).

keavo
    Free Member

geax saguaro, perform a bit like a slightly smaller weirwolf but faster rolling and lighter. i tried the wierwolf but sold it because i didn't think it had any more to offer over the saguaro.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

2.4 RR come up the largest according to folks on MTBR.

My WW LT 2.55 come up to about 60mm on Gordos.

gee
    Free Member

RR 2.4s are brilliant.

MrTall
    Free Member

I have 2.35 Panaracer Rampages on the full suss which seem pretty good and are on offer at Chevins for £19.99 each.
    I've just bought a cheap wire beaded Weirwolf 2.55 from CRC as it's only £10 so worth a try – it hasn't arrived yet though.
    Nevegals are pretty heavy but seem ok as well. Certainly 'chunky' when fitted.

rootes1

<<geax saguaro, perform a bit like a slightly smaller weirwolf but faster rolling and lighter. >>

yep good tyres – been using them until recently when the weather turned bad and fitted some bonty acx – geax has much bigger volume, though the bonty have stretched a little

keavo
    Free Member

agreed, they (sagauro and weirwolf) don't do well in winter. i haven't really found a big volume tyre i like for winter slop. currently using michelin on the back, which is fairly large and does o.k.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I've just got a Mud X for the rear to go with my Endomorph upfront – little and LARGE 🙂

ruffrider

I have a Karate Monkey too and use Racing Ralphs @ 2.4 for summer which are ace. Have just put WTB Stouts @ 2.3 on for winter, I've used them on a 26er before and they are a bit heavy, very grippy but not draggy again a great tyre.

bonesetter
    Free Member

The 2.55 WW's don't come up very big – not as big as the RR 2.4

bonesetter
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member

Maxxis ardent 2.4's…I'm in the process of persuading/mithering mma to bring them in to the country.Aspen 2.25's will be in for easter (but not many so be quick).

Well done. How likely is it looking? There's alot who want those Ardents

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Ridden RR2.4s, Weirwolf 2.55s, Saguaro 2.2s and Ardent 2.25s. The RR2.4s are by far the biggest volume, lightest and fastest rolling of the lot.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Just tried out my Mud x/Endo combo in some serious mud today – works really well. I'd be interested in hearing about a large volume tyre that works well in mud.

bonesetter
    Free Member

FRC – Ardent 2.4?

DS – RR 2.4 is super fast for sure, but for winter the Ardent sounds a capable fat fast roller

Rorschach
    Free Member

After months of pestering our Rep (sorry Craig) they are now both listed on the 2010 UK dealer price list.Unfortunately its a 3 month lead time from maxxis!!!Mine are already on back order…

rOcKeTdOg
    bonesetter
    Free Member

that link is for the 2.25

bonesetter
    Free Member

Could just order one from say George at Bike29

Cost yer £40+ though all in

bonesetter
    Free Member

I asked for interest in the 2.4 – see post #48 here

I need to order 10 to make things worthwhile (hoping for ~£27 ea but will more likey be ~£30). Up to 5 so far

ton

nigel, i will have a pair.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Nice one ton,

we're up to 5 definite now

singlespeedstu

I'll take one.

I expect it to be hand delivered though…

rOcKeTdOg

that link is for the 2.25

that'll be why i put 2.25 x 29 then

bonesetter
    Free Member

OK stu that's 6 we're up to (with del!)

The 2.25 is reviewed a disappointing performer, esp alongside the 2.4

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Put me down for 1

bonesetter
    Free Member

Now we're talking

7. Just 3 more to go

sofaking
    Free Member

go on then, add me too
    now you need 2

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Which Big Volume 29er Tyre for Rigid Singlespeed?’ is closed to new replies.