Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Where to ride near Warwick
  • andyb748
    Free Member

Just moved to Warwick after 4 years of Cwm Carn, Afan etc.
    Its so flat and uninspiring here its doing my head in. Anyone know of local (off road) rides to put a smile on my face before I take up flower arranging?????

Thnks
    Andy

rOcKeTdOg

blimey what a riding culture shock, i’m in warwick 4 days a week, there’s nowt worth speaking of 🙁
    the M40 is near though, or Wyre forest is only 45 mins or so away, cannock similar
    there are a few cheeky bits but so short it’s not gonna challenge you after Wales

bobbyspangles

some good trails if you get a local OS map, try meeeting at top park leamington on sunday mornings at 10am for a group rid eor contact kenilworth wheelers?

Marge
    Free Member

You poor b*stard….
    I was back there at the weekend.

rOcKeTdOg

the fourpenny shop is nice though 🙂

ps44
    Free Member

Warwick is particularly badly served, but head a few miles south and start riding around Edge Hill or Dasset and there’s loads of trails but it’s all a bit tame. Cotswolds aren’t too far, and up above Winchcombe is ok. Wales it isn’t !

bigyinn
    Free Member

I must admit when i spent a few days out in the sticks out that part fo the world i was dismayed at how few footpaths / bridleways there were.

I guess im spoilt living on the isle of wight!

YetiFoz
    Free Member

I live in Leamington and considering how horsey the area is, there are hardly any bridleways. I go back to my old haunt in the Banbury area, where there are shed loads of bridleways, although it will never be anything like Wales.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Unfortunatley I am just up the road near Coventry and there are trails by me, but they are spoilt by gates to try and stop the enduro motorbikers.
    Your best bet is Cannock Chase, but that is 50m/1hr drive.

flatwarwick
    Free Member

Have to agree with the others here. I really haven’t found much locally. Some short and flat bridleway loops but nothing worth getting esxcited about. The BMX track in Leamington is about as fast and interesting as it gets i’m afraid.

Marge
    Free Member

ah yes the BMX track. been a*se over t*t there a few times in my youth. (I am so old I remember it being a skateboard ramp).

Was trying to convince the mrs to let me take our eldest (4) on the BMX track on Saturday. I was unsuccessful 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

lets all just go to the pub

flatwarwick
    Free Member

Rocketdog – I was going to suggest the same thing. Sod riding bikes, lets all drink beer instead!

Marge – The track is full of kids that are all way better than me these days. Its fun but more than a little depressing at the same time.

DaveGr
    Free Member

This is the second post in a few weeks about people coming to the Warwick/Stratford area and asking about the riding. What have you lot done to deserve this? Fiddled your expenses and been banished to the bad lands of dullness and muddy, ploughed fields??

The only decent thing about the riding is that wherever you go for a day/weekend away then you’re guaranteed that the riding will be better than what’s on offer round here.

Oh, and if you want a decent night out in Warwick then go to Leamington instead. I’ve <cough> heard that Rios (Leamington’s premier night spot) is the place to go if you want an enjoyable evening.

rOcKeTdOg

Leamington is great for nightlife if you are 15 and enjoy drinking lager and tend to puke it at the end of the night, more mature and refined drinkers tend to stay in the oasis of calm that is Warwick 😉

DaveGr
    Free Member

more mature and refined drinkers tend to stay in the oasis of calm that is Warwick

I’ve spent too many evenings in Redditch so Leamingtion is refined after that 😯

MrsToast
    Free Member

Leamington does have the redeeming feature of the Oriental Star though…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

it also has a very good butcher’s shop and fish monger

DaveGr
    Free Member

Urm, thinking about nights out in Leamington. Earlier this year I spent a pleasant evening in the Clarendon surrounded by @ 40 girls from Warwick Uni on a “Britney Spears lookalike” night out.

They made a bald, middle aged man very happy 😀

And sorry, didn’t have a camera with me 😥

onewheelgood

You can try these – 14, 19 and 25 miles.
    https://explore.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/account/show_profile/1333
    They aren’t Coed-y-Brenin, but they’ll give you something to ride when you can’t be bothered/don’t want to get in the car.

rOcKeTdOg

Dave GR, after Redditch, downtown Helmand seems refined 🙂

Marge
    Free Member

Redditch aka The Ditch 🙂

Oriental Star? Where’s that?
    I did the ‘Bombay’ on Saturday night – just awesome.

The most positive thing about riding in Leam is that everywhere else is reasonably accessible. Wales / Derbyshire / Cotswolds. Plenty of good options but only after a car journey first…

rOcKeTdOg

RD’s GF here. A long time resident of warwick which sadly means I did for a while ‘party’ in Leamers…..

WARNING- NEVER GO TO RIO’S … you will end up licking the naked chest of some random that you have never met before and will probably stick to the floor and not be able to escape the tall scary asian man (or is he a native american) who watches the dancefloor.

… FLASHBACK HORROR

much safer staying in warwick… x

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Where to ride near Warwick’ is closed to new replies.