Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Where to drink in Durham?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

after the excellent meal I fancy a beer. Where do you recommend?

theotherjonv

Pint in the back room of the Shakespeare. Some interesting local life in there (students won’t be there yet). On the way up to Palace Green from the marketplace (Sadler St).

And the Dun Cow on Old Elvet; fall out of the side door of the Shakey, cross the road and the bridge. IMHO pass by the Swan and 3 Rahs, and the fashionable new place by the lights and carry on about 200yards straight over to the Dun Cow.

Also recommended; The Victoria on Hallgarth St. At the lights as above head uphill to the St. Union building (pausing to marvel at it’s ugliness) and at the fork take the left. Victoria is 50 yards on the right.

white101

I can’t help with the drinking question, but to jump ahead to your next thread Hamsterely is good and a little further south Dalby 😉

brakes
    Free Member

Shakespeare is a bit stinky and small.
    Second the Swan and 3 Cygnets, it’s a Sammy Smiths
    There’s an O’Neils opposite Oldfields where you had dinner, they sometimes do live music [edit: probably not on a Monday night outside of student season]
    Don’t go anywhere near North Road.
    If you want a nice local, with decent beer and a dart board you could walk up Crossgate to Ye Old Elm Tree – definitely worth the trip up the hill.
    [caveat – all my knowledge is about 10 years old, but I doubt it’s changed]

Me
    Free Member

Don’t go anywhere near North Road.

Head of Steam is good!

brakes
    Free Member

oooh oooh, the Half Moon on New Elvet used to be alright and is a bit nearer

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

In the Dunn if anyone wants to join me. Sat at the bar with barmaids doing the pub quiz. Just ask for Nick

brakes
    Free Member

have you done the Dunn Cow challenge yet?

theotherjonv

what beers have they got on?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I asked you before, and I’ll ask you again; wtf are you doing in Durham?

ourmaninthenorth

have you done the Dunn Cow challenge yet?

Was just going to ask the same.

Enjoying the semi-outdoors lavatories?

IMHO pass by the Swan and 3 Rahs

When I lived in Durham (as a, ahem, student), this place was decidedly second rate. So we used to drink in there regularly.

Is the Big Jug still open on Claypath – go in there, WCA, and speak as loudly as you can in a southern accent. They’ll love it, love it love…. 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Where to drink in Durham?’ is closed to new replies.