Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • where do i find guides on valuations ?
  • rhino
    Free Member

I've decided to sell my existing bike and buy another but i'm finding it difficult to estimate what price to put on either the complete bike or just frame or frame and mix of parts etc..

is there any guides or places i can ask these questions and get a 'honest' answer ?..

if required i have a 2010 trek fuel ex 9 (which includes new 2010 bb, headset & rear shock), with remainder 2008 parts on, apart from complete new drivechain (sram chain, slx rear cassette, raceface xc front chain rings & sram jocky wheels + XT front mech fitted in Nov last year), avid juicy brakes, with bonty race lite wheels, fox forks with 130/110/90 height variations and lockout.

pic of frame attached as to gauge look of bike (same colour frame as pic)(my headset if more light gold, and seat clamp black)

any help greatly apreciated, as i'm now trying to raise the cash for my new desired bike..

fotorat
    Free Member

the bikes to work scheme works on 10% rule, ie after 12 months the bike is worth 10% of its retail value, but by this time you have already paid 30-40% of the RPP so I would say 50% RRP after a few months, down to 35% after a year.

i dont think its worth selling bikes to buy the next one, I guess thats why I dont know how many bikes I have got!

you should get 600-750 for it

rhino
    Free Member

ok i think if thats the case i'll be stripping the bike and selling in parts, value wise to replace this like for like would cost me £2,500

i have no idea what the frames are worth as have never seem any just frame for sale.. i'll try a futher bit of investigation to see if there is any other simular items..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Burls72
    Free Member

??ebay?? It can vary, if you have two people desperate to outbid each other then you can do rather well out of it. But in general I would say you get a fair price especially with bike stuff as so many people watch it, not many bargins on there unless it's buy it now. You do have to be prepared for a lot of hassle though which has been made even worse by sellers not being able to leave negative feedback for buyers, meaning they have you by the short and curlys! Stripping it will return a lot more if you can be bothered, remembering it is very difficult to post a whole bike.

nuke

you should get 600-750 for it

Eh? Do you mean for the complete bike? If so, its worth way more than that.

The usual rule is 50% in the first year then 10% in subsequent years but Trek EX bikes have a good rep and seem to hold their value well of late. I'd say with a 2010 frame (preferably in average size) if its in good condition you'd be looking at over £1k at least.

br
    Free Member

What bike are you looking to buy, and what kinda hammer has the one you are selling had?

rhino
    Free Member

wow just come back in to find a hole load of replies..
    yeah i really hate fleebay – they charge an arm and a leg just to sell the item/s, i'd much rather sell to people within bike related forums who will apreciate the parts.
    the bike has been used for xc within berkshire area and only used on this frame for four or five rides at between 12 – 20 miles at a time, i replaced the whole chainset back in nov and have not been riding for the whole of december or january, since early feb only been out once a week (slack i know), frame, bb, headset & rear shock all new with frame, forks, brakes and wheels used with bike since late 2008 but well maintained.

ideally i'd like to sell below :-
    frame with rear shock, bb, headset, bars, stem & front forks and keep the rest to move on to my new bike, bike wise i'm looking for a bionicon, it's a more relaxed geometry, must be mid life crisis but it's what i want andaiming for..

br
    Free Member

I think you'll be disappointed.

Better to park the Trek, rent/demo a Bionicon for a few rides first.

markcdo
    Free Member

Rhino
    Thought I'd give you the benfit of my extreme wisdom (!)

1. You never get anything close to the original value of bikes when you sell them. typically you could lop 50% off the value just by wheeling it out of the shop. BUT You can with some bikes ask way more than 50% when you come to sell secondhand, depends on a lot of things, brand, desirability, reviews, condition/use etc etc. I'd suggest asking £1500 ono for yours, it's vartually a new frame with decent kit, if you get £1250 then you got your 50%, anything more is a bonus. I've probably sold 40 bikes in the last 12 years.

2. I agree with b r, you'd potentially be selling one of the most highly rated trail/xc bikes of the last 2 years, with proven technology to buy something not so well regarded or proven…..

rhino
    Free Member

when i bought the trek back in 2008 i was happy and my decision was made closely between that and a bionicon, i've been on two demo days with all models of xc bionicon's, and only this weekend i demo'd again.

don't get me wrong the trek is a really good bike and i've really enjoyed it, i don't have the money for parking the bike and buying another as i'm not that flush with cash, my reasoning for change is that i'm looking for the more relaxed feel, yes the bionicon is slower on roads but i'm buying this to use off road and i enjoy it more when in the offroad sections, the trek for me is boderline on the agressive racing style, plus i love the suspension system of the bionicon each time i ride it i like it more.

for me now is a good as time as any to sell the trek because of the replacement frame of a 2010 model.

thanks for all the info and concerns i'll have a good think and work out what i want to do.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘where do i find guides on valuations ?’ is closed to new replies.