Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Where can I get discounted nappies online?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

With the twins now ruling our lives, we are getting through inordinate amounts of nappies – can anyone recommend anywhere online where I can buy disposables cheaper than in supermarkets?

Ohh, and ready-mixed baby milk too…

Cheerszzzzzzzzzzz

Ohh, and let's not get into the re-usable argument – we have enough washing as it is, without nappies to do as well…

Drac

Costco are pretty cheap for them but don't think they do newborn or at least they didn't last time we needed them.

chakaping
    Free Member

I can do you a good price on some pre-used ones.

No? Ok then, we stock up at Makro when we get the chance, much cheaper than supermarket.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Yeah, second hand is the way to go! 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

or Terry nappies

kinder for the environment, but not your washing machine….

MoreCashThanDash

Costco/Makro if you have one near but…..

Having just gone nappy free here for the first time in 6 years (yay!) I don't think we EVER paid full wack for nappies – join all the supermarket loyalty/baby clubs, join the Huggies and Pampers clubs, and wait for the vouchers to start rolling in!

The vouchers actually meant that the supermarkets weren't much more expensive than Costco, if at all. And we all know that if you join Costco, what you save on nappies you will spend on discounted tools, muffins, golf clubs, whiskey and car ports……

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

or Terry nappies

kinder for the environment, but not your washing machine….
    I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist.

I must admit I was wondering about the supermarket whoring – there is usually good offers on somewhere, but I just thought that if I could get one central source for all my nappies it would be a good idea.

Drac

Yeah supermarkets, Boots and Superdrug all have offer on at some point so stock up from there too.

clubber
    Free Member

Supermarkets or Mothercare – one will always have a deal on – just stock up when they do (and buy some larger ones if you see them cheap – it's not like you're not going to use them…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

it's not like you're not going to use them…

We have a few next size up that we got on offer, but the house is rather full now as it is!!!

Great fun though isn't it?

takisawa2

Morrisons are doing the Pampers Active Fit £2.50 for 26 at the moment.
    We bought a load the other day.

And the Huggies wipes, they are on offer too & are way better then pampers / Johnsons etc.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Active Fit – I assume those will be for a bit later on – our girls are just 6 weeks…

🙂

doc_blues
    Free Member

try the lidl own brand nappies – cant remember the exact name, but think they are french – seem to remember they are about £4.99 for 50/70 (depends on size), but worked out a lot cheaper than huggies/pampers. Have used them on doc Jr since birth and they have been great – he is 18 months now – they seem to leak a lot less than pampers or huggies (which tbh were cack and expensive in our hands), and used to last right through the night as well. Their pull-ups seem good too.

does Harry-gate have a lidl or is it too posh?

Mrs doc did market research for huggies and we trialled a poo-catching nappy, with a special pouch – what a load of toss – reminded me of that mitchell and webb sketch where they are trying to think of the latest gimmick to use to sell toothbrushes

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

doc-blues – we have tried the Asda and Tesco own brand ones – they are HUGE compared to the Huggies/Pampers and have yet to be tested properly (our girls seem to prefer the BM every few days rather than every feed route at the moment and they have avoided a proper dump!

Are the Lidl ones recommended then? We have one in Knaresborough, just around the corner from my mum's house so I could get some it you think they are worth the money…

Also – who here changes at every feed and who leaves one nappy on through the night? At the moment we are changing on every feed even though they are usually just wet…

bristolsurfer
    Free Member

Also – who here changes at every feed and who leaves one nappy on through the night? At the moment we are changing on every feed even though they are usually just wet…

Yes we do – would you like to spend the night sitting in piss 😯

ETA: You mentioned inyour first post about ready-mixed baby milk too. I'd really recommend making it up yourself as its a lot cheaper & not too bad once you get into the swing of things., Sterilise bottles & boil kettle, fill bottles, pop in fridge & then add powder when needed.

monkeychild
    Free Member

We are expecting baby no 1 anytime now eek! I have heard good things about the Lidl ones as well. Unfortunately trying to persuade my Mrs round to that way of thinking is a 'kin 'mare!

takisawa2

Nah. Only changed ours when they were dirty / really wet.
    6 weeks…sorry, didn't realise they were that young.
    And twins…bloody hell you must be busy…!!!

I'll get the mrs to give me the heads up when she spots the deals as she's always in on the latest offers with her mother / milf group.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes we do – would you like to spend the night sitting in piss?

Not these days – not allowed to go out on the sauce anymore… 😉

Fair enough though – but we have heard both sides – some people just feed and put child back down during the night – after all, what would the difference be from when they start to sleep through anyway…

Will have to try the Lidl ones methinks…

Drac

I changed ours every feed if they were wet or if there was lumps in them. We tried various nappies and stuck with Pampers just what we prefered and Johnsons wipes clean up anything Huggies ones I found not to be moist enough.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

ETA: You mentioned inyour first post about ready-mixed baby milk too. I'd really recommend making it up yourself as its a lot cheaper & not too bad once you get into the swing of things., Sterilise bottles & boil kettle, fill bottles, pop in fridge & then add powder when neede

We will probably go onto powder if and when Mrs Mastiles stops breast feeding – at the moment we are supplementing with expressed and formula so it is easy just to bung in some ready mixed as and when (ie, we do not have a routine for the powder mixing as there IS no routine at the moment).

And twins…bloody hell you must be busy…!!!

We don't know any different, but to be fair, it isn't THAT hard – certainly no harder than we had braced ourselves for and they haven't been needy yet – they like their cuddles in the day/evening, but happy with feeds and putting back down overnight and have slept very well – we are on 6.5 hours between feeds overnight already 🙂

doc_blues
    Free Member

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Lidl_Disposable_Nappies__Review_5688013
    and
    http://www.mumsnet.com/Reviews/DisposableNappies/18-lidl-nappies/
    they are the toujours ones

we were recommended them by someone in the street – Doc Jrs granny saw someone in lidl buying them and asked if they were any good – they said yes, so we gave them a go – out of our NCT group of six, 5 of the babies now use lidl nappies having tried them from us (so 5 out of 6 babies prefer them- ha ha!)

I reckon they are worth trying for the sake of a couple of quid – they certainty seem resilient to jrs dumps when he was younger – leaked alot less than the 'leading brands' (didn't stop the occasional exploding nappy though) – their baby wipes are pretty good too and we have used them since day 1 (or so) – jrs skin didnt like the johnson & johnson ones in the pink wrapper and also the pampers ones.

We currently change every 3-4 hours (when we remember – sometimes we are bad parents and completely forget) – but when he was small we I dont think we did any different – certainly didnt change every feed, and then maybe once during the night (current night regime is nappy at bedtime (6pm), then a change at 11pm (when we go to bed) and that lasts right through until he wakes us up at 6am)

oh, and you asked about pre-made formula – not sure about that, but we switched from SMA to Aptimil pretty much straight away (breast wasnt best – lots of mastitis and feeding poorly, so we switched to formula to supplement breast)- SMA cuased major constipation, followed by massive explosions of foul smelling green stuff (plus I am allergic to SMA – causes major asthma attacks!!). No such problems with Aptimil – but I guess each baby is different, so might not suit. Aptimil comes pre-made and I think is about 80p a carton (10oz?) or so – not sure about buying in bulk – or £8 for a tub of powder – Jr has thrived on it

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

On to powder – so you sterilise, chuck in boiling water (do you let it cool) then put in the fridge? When you need to feed, you pop in the powder, mix and bring back up to temperature? Yes?

Drac

WE sterilised, boiled it, let it cool added the poweder and bung them in the fridge, warm when needed. Slighlty against what midwives suggest but no harm was ever done to our two.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Heard loads of bad stuff about SMA – we are on Cow & Gate which they are both happy with – they do 500ml cartons (which is three feeds) that last 24 hours in the fridge so we are happy with those at the moment, but any cost cutting is good.

The Lidl nappies look good – have saved the links to show Mrs M – perhaps I can convince her… But they only start at size three and our two are tiny (7.5 lbsish) still so will be a while yet…

bristolsurfer
    Free Member

On to powder – so you sterilise, chuck in boiling water (do you let it cool) then put in the fridge? When you need to feed, you pop in the powder, mix and bring back up to temperature? Yes?

Thats what we are doing at the moment & we do try to let the water cool a bit first but sometimes thats not practical…

With our first baby we made up the bottles with powder & stuck those in the fridge which as mentioned above is a bit contrary to advice.

We used SMA for our first but have switched to Aptimil for baby no. 2 – lot less issues with constipation in our experience using Aptimil.

Harry_the_Spider

We look for deals at Tesco then bulk buy them by the box load.

Pampers for us. We tried the biodegradable route, but the damn things kept leaking and a piss soaked baby/cot at 4:00am is no fun at all.

doc_blues
    Free Member

think aptimil and C&G are the same

we did steralise, then add boiled water and kept in fridge and added powder as needed

we bought a stupid steraliser, used it once and gave up – went for the biggest lock and lock box we could find, and filled it with water + stealising tablet and soaked all and sundry in that for a couple of hours.
    for travelling to other places you can buy microwavable bags – they are ok, but a bowl + water + bottle with cling film on the top, into microwave for a few minutes produces enough steam to be effective.

At about 8 months we stopped steralising at night and just run everything through the dishwasher – the steam in there should be hot enough o kill most bugs

size wise, j was about 7.5-8lbs when born and the nappies seemed to fit ok even then- we might have some left in a cupboard somewhere (will check later if you like – could always bung some in the post for you to have a trial run if I do)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

we bought a stupid steraliser, used it once and gave up – went for the biggest lock and lock box we could find, and filled it with water + stealising tablet and soaked all and sundry in that for a couple of hours.

We have a Milton CW steriliser as you describe AND a Tommy Tippee microwave one which fits 4 bottles + all bits. This also doubles as a CW steriliser if needed – just the one cleaner isn't enough for two babies + all the expressing bits!

Thanks for the offer re sending some – but at £5 I may as well just nip in and get some next time I am at my mum's house. Thanks anyway 🙂

sv

Yes we started using the Lidl ones on holiday when we ran out of Huggies. Seem very good.

Futureboy
    Free Member

Ohh, and ready-mixed baby milk too…

May or may not apply to you, but our little one suffered from chronic constipation and tummy aches when fed the pre mixed stuff.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Which pre-mixed?

Both our girls do go a while between BMs, but that was happening whilst on breast only anyway and apparently it is only a worry if it is really solid when passed – some babies can go 7-10 days between BMs!!!!

brassneck

No problems with SMA here, but it's a supplement so Mum gets to bed early and I do a late night feed.

SMA doesn't have any animal products in it (usually fish oils), which seemed to have a bearing on the palatability for ours – both me and Mrs brassneck have been veggie for about 18 years, and seem to have passed on the disease to our offspring 😉

Lidl nappies are the cheapest and the best readily available. I'd buy them in preference to any other brand.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

so Mum gets to bed early and I do a late night feed

I can only imagine what that feels like – when one starts, the other invariably does so every feed is all hands to the pump. Thankfully they are feeding very well and sleeping even better at the moment…

brassneck

Oh yeah, premixed will have you in the poor house in weeks – making a powder feed up isn't really that much hassle. I boil fresh each time, but it depends on your paranoia level IMHO – keeping freshly boiled in sterilised bottles in the fridge isn't recommended, but I and plenty of others have done it – just always use that day, and reheat carefully. All the 'don't microwave' warnings are an idiot filter for people who nuke it for 1 mnute and don't check it properly.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I thought about giving them the milk cold then just microwaving the babies.

Then I went one better and decided to give them the powder, then the water, then shake them, then microwave them.

But apparently it isn't recommended…

🙂

brassneck

Yeah, microwaves are a bitch to clean 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

LOL!

Travis

huge congrats hugs on the wee ones.. ours is due in another 3 months but still reading all baby threads that I can.
    did read that not to change all the time, most modern nappies can hold a huge amount of pee (at least 2) before changing. Only change if No.2 comes out, or that your baby develops rash.

Almighty fine and good reading it, I'm sure I'd worry too when ours comes along.

geoffj

Don't buy TOO many nappies. They are growing quicker than you think and you will soon realise you want the next size up. Also, as the size between brands varies, its likely that you'll find that a different brand / size combo will work well for a while and then you'll need to try another combo.

Brings back memories of me having an interesting conversation with customer services in Asda regarding their Refund & Replace Guarantee. 😈

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Don't buy TOO many nappies.

Is there such a thing? Especially with two babies!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Where can I get discounted nappies online?’ is closed to new replies.