Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Wheelbuilding help – spoke length?
  • Hob-Nob
    Free Member

After a bit of help, as a first timer here and want to make sure I get this right, for obvious reasons.

I’m looking to build up some DT Swiss 240’s onto some Stan’s Arch rims with some DT Comp DB spokes.

I’ve grabbed the ERD off the Stan’s site, and plugged the info into the DT Swiss spoke calculator, and it came out with the following.

Front 260mm & 261mm, rear 261mm & 261mm. Now first question is where to buy spokes? CRC do them I noticed, but they state its with a 14mm nipple. Now if I adjust the DT calculator to compensate I get; front 258 & 260, rear 260 & 260.

My question is, for the sake of convenience, as CRC sell them in bunches of 36, what are the chances of me being lucky to get away with 72 spokes at 260, and running a longer spoke? My concern is obviously running out of thread before I have tensioned the wheel accordingly. Is 2mm too big a difference?

Finally, looking on the Spoke Calculator, it lists a L&R side to the wheel. Does the left relate to the disk side & the right the drive?

Sorry, lots of questions!

mike_p
    Free Member

Don’t adjust your spoke lengths for the longer nipples, and I would be inclined to round up to the nearest even number. Rose used to be good value for spokes, try them as an alternative.

TrevorB

Not sure which version of the 240’s you have but DT Swiss says 260mm / 264mm Front and 261mm Rear and Wheelpro agree. (12mm Nipples)
    If you buy from CRC, go for 260mm for the rear and 258mm /262mm for the front (14mm Nipples). It might be cheaper to get them from Rose in packs of 20 though, then you could use 12mm nipples (Nipples are a seperate purchase at Rose)
    Left side is disc side.

kilo
    Hob-Nob
    Free Member

TrevorB – thanks for that. I’m using a 20mm front, so according to the Calc it was 260/261.

What are the chances on just using 260 for everything? As some places don’t seem to stock odd lengths!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

What are the chances on just using 260 for everything? As some places don’t seem to stock odd lengths!

Should be fine. IME spokes come with a tolerance of a mm or so anyway.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Wheelbuilding help – spoke length?’ is closed to new replies.