Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wheel bearings?! Already?!
  • Telemaster18
    Free Member

Had my commencal meta 5.5.2 since august last year and probably done about 250 miles on it. The bearings in my front wheel had to be replaced last month and the rear wheel is in now. Is that really how long they last? Front wheel is sun equaliser on commencal lite hub and rear is same rim on shimano m475

Stoner
    Free Member

the front is a sealed bearing hub whereas the rear is a cup and cone.

Im surprised either needs replacing already although the rear could get in a bad way quickly if the cones werent set correctly from the start. LBS having a laugh maybe? you should be able to service the hubs yourself.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Well, there was play in them both times so the first went in and he changed the bearings. The rear is in now and he hasnt said its new bearings but what else could it be. Your right, I should, but I dont

Telemaster18
    Free Member

oh and its a different lbs this time

Stoner
    Free Member

the rear could probably just need cones and locknuts retightening rather than the bearings replaced.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Well the guys at this bs are decent so hopefully they’ll just do that. Any tips on looking after hubs etc? sites or info

smokey_jo

The sealing on 475’s is toss, clean and regrease regularly and avoid jetwashing and you can make them last. If the ball bearings aren’t shiny after you’ve cleaned them it’s best to replace them.

Stoner
    Free Member

cup & cone hub servicing instructions here:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yeah M475s are poorly sealed. They come well adjusted from new although can tighten up marginally over time.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wheel bearings?! Already?!’ is closed to new replies.