Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • What's the best SS chainring?
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

just bought a 36t middleburn one for a tenner off classifeds. it’s not a proper ss one or nowt but’ll get me to the pub/shops/work 🙂

Farticus

I’d avoid the Renthall.

I’ve tried:
    Salsa – lasted ages,trouble-free.
    Cycle Dynamics (Ti) – lasted ages, trouble-free.
    Thorn – lasted ages,trouble-free.
    Renthall – constant aggro. Chainring bolts kept undoing themselves, chain dropped as a result, teeth chewed up. Tried numerous different bolts of different lengths and they all needed tightening daily to keep it working. Same cranks (XT HT2) and bolts had no problems with any of the other rings.

As for a tensioner, I’ve got a Yess ETR-V and Rohloff going spare, either of which would be fine, but anything else sprung seems designed to fail. Currently running a DMR Tension Seeker which sought tension and failed to find it, so it’s now held in place with a thick zip tie. Can’t get the right chainline with either the Rohloff or Yess (as running a big ring) otherwise I’d use one of those.

yunki
    Free Member

renthal all the way surely..?!
    it’s what they do fer gawds sake..

..and I find it’s always good to follow sound practical advice based on personal experience with a heartfelt post based purely on romanticism and emotion..

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I run 1×9 on both mountain bikes – MRP (alloy) is good. Lovely and light. 7 months old and hardly any visible wear on the anodising which seems pretty good going.

On-One SS is about the same age and still looks brand spankers. Noticeably heavier than the MRP but suspect it’ll last forever. Cheap too (got mine when they were £20 earlier in the year) but like someone said, 4-bolt only.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think I’m gonna have to dig out those Deore 4-bolt cranks as there are hardly any decent 5-bolt chainrings around. 😥

Such a shame. Was running some lovely old Cannondale cranks which are really stiff and light.

simon1975

lovely old Cannondale cranks

Sq taper? Show me a pic, I might make you an offer! I’ve got Surly rings in 30T and 34T that fit 94mm.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Renthal: best I’ve had. Pay the £40 it’s worth it… Quality is great, well, rather it’s bloody excellent. I love the colour too. 😀

@Farticus: I can’t understand how you’ve had problems. 😯 I certainly have not. Maybe a drop of Loctite would help you out…

Farticus

@Farticus: I can’t understand how you’ve had problems. I certainly have not. Maybe a drop of Loctite would help you out…

Me neither … defeated me completely, and I hate giving up. 3 chainring bolts destroyed, and always 1 or 2 loose after a ride no matter how tight they were done up. Same whether SS or 1×9.

Won’t touch them again, but it could have been me.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Velosolo – with 3/32th teeth and a fatter chain.

no problems…

Creaking EBB is a different issue…

singlespeedstu

You want one of these.

2008_1112boonecogs0029 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

Shame you can’t get them any more.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You want one of these.

No, I don’t actually. I want something that will last but not cost silly money. If I wanted to spend that sort of money I would go to Elizabeth Duke at Argos and buy some other pointless jewellery instead. 😐

Cos like, there’s loads of value in a worn out titanium chainring, isn’t there? At least cheap jewellery from Elizabeth Duke at Argos would have some scrap value….

Show me a pic, I might make you an offer!

Oh might you?

singlespeedstu

You won’t find a Boone ring for Elizabeth Duke money you know. 😉

Or any amount of money for that matter. 😐

FWIW That ring has been on a bike since the end of 08 and it’s still going strong. The rear one hasn’t lasted so well though.

Tazz.

I need to send you your odd shaped ring back or do you want me to post it to the next person that’s going to try it for size?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So Ti rings do last then?

So why aren’t more manufacturers doing them?

singlespeedstu

That one has. Can’t speak for the Hombrew rings.
    Though i’ll be replacing the Boone with a Hombrew when it eventualy wears out.

I know the Boone rings were hand finished to get a nice even tooth profile. Maybe it just takes too long to make them.

tazzymtb

Stu, pop my ring back int post to me fella. I’ll email you the address 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘What's the best SS chainring?’ is closed to new replies.