Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • whats that foil covered loft insulation called
  • meeeee
    Free Member

I’ve seen loft insulation covered with foil, supposed to be less dusty and irritating to skin / lungs / eyes when you lay it. Anyone know what its called?

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

kingspan

matt_outandabout

You mean the glassfibre in a bag, not rigid foam…?

meeeee
    Free Member

yeah, its sealed in a bag, like a sort of huge rolled up sleeping bag, rather than just being a roll of rockwool type stuff that you can see the fibres in.

EDIT aha, i think it might be Spaceblanket.

midlifecrashes

Yup, Spaceblanket, pretty robust when laying it, I used it below a cold floor wedged and stapled between the joists.

spooky_b329

Also consider the recycled bottle insulation. It looks like fibreglass but is green, soft and not itchy. You could sleep on it, no irritation at all. And its probably cheaper. I’ve laid it in my loft.

matt_outandabout

And the spaceblanket stuff is cheap crap that sinks/compresses easily. As with most things, you get what your pay for. A cheap way of boosting insulation is to lay rockwool/recycled bottles/hemp/whatever and pin old sheets over – the top depth of any open weave insulation does nothing due to draft/wind over the top. The spaceblanket does this – the silver has some effect, but not much after a couple of years of muck and dirt….

big_n_daft
    Free Member

And the spaceblanket stuff is cheap crap that sinks/compresses easily.

I found the reverse, it lofted far better than the cheap own brand rubbish I liad first

As with most things, you get what your pay for.

sometimes, in this case yes as it was more expensive the the own brand rubbish

the silver has some effect, but not much after a couple of years of muck and dirt….

where does your muck and dirt come from? mine is still pristine

HTH

Olly
    Free Member

Cellotex

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

As with most things, you get what your pay for.

Take note of this free advice!

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve seen loft insulation covered with foil, supposed to be less dusty and irritating to skin overalls / lungs good facemask / eyes goggles when you lay it. Anyone know what its called?

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/ for more info and help.

anto164
    Free Member

I used to work at B&Q and the stuff you’re thinking of is Spaceblanket.

Horrible stuff. Had to shift 3x pallets of the stuff by hand, roll by roll onto the racking, and you end up a lovely shade of silver as the silver lining rubbed off onto your hands/face/clothing etc. Not the cheapest though. They also like to burst which means that you’ll get aweful itchy skin wherever you come into contact with the stuff.

keppoch

I was planning on going for something like this soon as opposed to some itchy open weave stuff but the comments don’t seem great.

Would definitely favour something sealed as the current insulation has a grim black dust over it falling from the ageing roof tiles and felt so would be better if the new stuff shrugs that off.

I’ve seen foil covered board – is that the best solution? Seems expensive though.

TomB

What’s best for under boarded loft areas, presumably squishing insulation down reduces its efficiency, so how to maximise insulation in these areas?

matt_outandabout

Cheers big_n_daft. You may find over time that insulation that lofts well at the start is much more prone to sinking/collapsing. Attics do get mucky over time as well…

I stand by my comments, me having sold many tons of insulation over the years and worked as a sustainable building consultant and having a good few research documents regards insulation. Like most of our building industry – there is serious amounts of BS around.

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

by space blanket do people mean tri – iso which is often used for loft conversion insulation ?

http://www.triiso.co.uk/

midlifecrashes

Nope, Triso is a super thin product usually stapled to the sloping underside of the roof. Space blanket is your basic mineral wool insulation, but served up in an orange and silver sheath which makes it easier to handle but doesn’t make it any better as an insulant so you still need 150/200/250/400? whatever you can get in/afford.

Space Blanket ay B&Q

stucol
    Free Member

TomB, The likes of B&Q do flooring boards with high density foam bonded to the underside. Or you could use something like kingspan or other rigid foam boards and re-lay the flooring boards over it.
    The foam should be ok as the load where it sits on the beams is well distributed.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘whats that foil covered loft insulation called’ is closed to new replies.