Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What's in your lunch box.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I was having this conversation with a friend who works in a small office. As it turns out he would'nt entertain the idea of making a packed lunch. He spends roughly £5 pounds a day on lunch. Thats about the grand mark a year.! Being a driver and not wanting a heart attack at 40 I take one in most days. A butty, malt loaf or flapjack, sometimes tinned mackerell and loads of fruit to snack on.

So whats in yours…? Do you take one or is the stigma too much too much.?

willyboy
    Free Member

Left over chicken stew & rice today + 3 bits of fruit. Its normally sandwiches though.

stumpy01

I try & make sandwiches or take in leftovers, but it doesn't happen very often.
    I generally buy something & spend between £2 & £3 – as well as bringing in fruit/yoghurt/snack bars etc.

When you work out the cost of buying lunch everyday it does seem a lot, compared to making your own sandwiches!

LMT
    Free Member

After a bout of food poisoning from the staff canteen, i always take a packed lunch, sometimes its just a sandwich, some tomatoes, crisps. Other days if i do a rice stirfry or a pasta salad for tea the left over comes to work the next day.

Quite a few at work have a packed lunch, so no stigma in it at all.

nbt

Packed lunch (or leftovers) for me – usually 4 sarnies and a bag of crisps, plus a piece of fruit. Some days I have a chippy lunch (the Meal Of Champions – Steak and kidney pudding, chips, peas and gravy) then have my sarnies at 6pm, as I go straight out to training at 7pm from work.

I can't afford to buy sarnies every day.

DezB
    Free Member

I make a salad every day for the next day's lunch (sandwiches bloat me out). With a orange, a yogurt and a choccy bar.
    OCD? Me?? 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Usually sandwiches (4 slices of bread worth) and 2 or 3 pieces of fruit. Try to resist the lure of the student canteen, but often end up getting something else: apple pie and custard yesterday (for 65p!).

Depending upon what we're having, I try to cook too much food the night before, so I can take left overs. So, today I have meatballs with spicy tomato sauce and pasta.

gozarch
    Free Member

Leftover sausages – will be reheated to make a nice sausage sarnie.

Oh, and thanks a lot nbt. As an exile from the North West I can't get a steak & kidney pudding anywhere 😥

ton

corned beef and onion on granary rolls today.
    and a chocolate muffin, which has just been scoffed…

john_drummer
    Free Member

Today it's left over lasagne wot mrs_drummer made. Plus a yoghurt & some fruit

Coyote
    Free Member

"What's in your lunch box?"

<snigger>

thomthumb
    Free Member

ryvita and cream cheese today. finding sandwhiches increasingly boring since going vegitarian 🙁

Gary_M
    Free Member

Usually take in sandwiches, a couple of bananas and a couple of flapjacks. Can't understand how folk can have something like steak pie and chips for lunch then have another meal at tea time. It's a wonder they're not all overweight…hold on…looks round office, oh most of them are.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Cheese & pickle & lettuce sandwiches.
    A big piece of chocolate stout cake.

I almost always take something in, I've been privy to the joys of Nottingham University catering in the past, and I avoid it whenever possible, really expensive (like £5 for a decent meal), of dubious quality. The only reason they can do it is because we're a campus university, so you have to walk a mile to the nearest other sandwich shop.

When I was working at University of Canterbury, New Zealand, the catering was all organised by the student union. They made enough profit on it (plus the rents for the bookshop etc.) to pay for union activities, and still managed to have good quality, tasty food that was freshly cooked and dirt cheap. Whereas here we pay a fortune to useless contract caterers for terrible food.

Joe

Moses

Oh god, I can't believe no-one's said this already:

Meat and two veg, of course.
    🙂

matthewlhome
    Free Member

4 slices of leftover pepperoni and pineapple pizza.

spacemonkey

Leftovers from last night's spanish soup-type thingy, plus fruit.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Normally a packed lunch for me!
    But today is a treat of some veggie sushi, crackers with salsa followed by strawberries, grapes and banana with natural youghurt for pudding.

Normally a home made salad of varying degrees or left overs! Left overs are normally the best though!

simonk
    Free Member

ham rolls, cuppa soup and a yoghurt and loads of fruit 😀

Sometimes tuna with pasta or rice if i have been good.

peachos
    Free Member

weekly monday lunchtime stroll to lidl around the corner for dinnertime provisions. spend between £5 and £15 a week which gets me fruit, sometimes crisps and junk, drinks and sandwichy stuff. luckily i have access to a kitchen and fridge so can knock up the likes of cheese & pickle sarnies/soups/toasties/chicken salad wraps etc.

this weeks menu has been cheese and spicy salami toasties with a nice blob of sweet chili dipping sauce.

no stigma in my office.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Nothing today. Despite being 32 years of age I often forget to make my sandwiches, or bring any food in. I also forgot underpants and socks today, so wearing very thick sealskinz under normal shoes, and going commando.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

nuffin 🙁 I've et it all.
    And strictly speaking ton was wrong as a muffin he et ent in his lunch box no more!

nbt

myfatherwasawolf – Member

Nothing today. Despite being 32 years of age I often forget to make my sandwiches, or bring any food in. I also forgot underpants and socks today, so wearing very thick sealskinz under normal shoes, and going commando.

EEEuuwwwww, TMI!

Bumped into your dad on Sunday @ fairholmes, he dunt look much like a wolf. Is he one of them there Werewolves Of London (aaaaooooooooo!)

Stoner
    Free Member

Im currently half way through the finest salt beef sandwich in London.

From the cafe on the corner of bedfordbury and New row if anyone wants to track it down.

Inch thick soft white bread, lashings of mustard, Inch and a half of the sweetest, soft salted brisket. It's a man-sized, carnivores treat 🙂

burrrrppppp!

GrahamS

Tesco lunch for me.

Usually have Tesco Sushi and a yoghurt, but no sushi left today so I went for a Ploughman's Sandwich (£.150), some grapes (92p) and a bottle of "this water" (£1.26).

Total cost: £3.68

langy
    Free Member

good reminder – need to go make mine for tomorrow!

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

NBT – no he doesn't does he. I'm not sure he knows my forum name – but it's not a reference to him obviously!
    I've not been riding over there for a while now unfortunately…

toby1

I make a better sarnie than any other local supplier, so no stigma for me – I do get to look down on the others eating crap though. Today though was left over pasta veg and chicken, plus an apple, banana, crisps, dried fruit and nuts (small tub) is it any wonder I struggle to keep the weight off?

Junkyard
    Free Member

i just go and buy bread everyday and make butties from the stuff i keep in the fridge at work (humous, salad, mustard, toms, gherkins etc) and also have some flapjacks for energy + fruit.Cost about £4 a week ish.

I often go to shop with people who buy a sandwich for £2 despite all the ingredients being available in said shop for about the same amount and it would then feed them all week.

organic355
    Free Member

Nothing for me today, My office is doing a sponsored Ramadan and I am hank marvin!!!….and yes I know it finished on Sunday.

geoffj

Oh, and thanks a lot nbt. As an exile from the North West I can't get a steak & kidney pudding anywhere 😥

I share your pain – although a haggis supper almost makes up for it.

organic355
    Free Member

damn this is making me hungry, mmm haggis supper!!!

GrahamS

My office is doing a sponsored Ramadan

That's a bit of an easy one for the Muslim members of staff isn't it?

Are you also doing a sponsored Christmas holiday?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What's in your lunch box.?’ is closed to new replies.