Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Whats in your Camelbak/Reservoir?
  • deepo
    Free Member

I put high5 zero electrolyte tablets in mine and they seem to help with endurance but wondered if anyone had any secret recipes?

iDave
    Free Member

why would they help with endurance – they’re not giving you any energy? just wondering like….

alexpalacefan

Water only, don’t want the dreaded black fungus

APF

deepo
    Free Member

Apparently they let you burn more fat than glycogen, saving your glycogen stores for longer.

sailor74
    Free Member

Vimto

Radioman

water…keeps it cleaner. When I finish riding i refill the reservoir with clean tap water and keep it in the fridge…this minimises cleaning… I would only use the fancy electrolyte stuff if I was a racer otherwise I’m happy to stop and enjoy a tasty bite!

excitable1
    Free Member

Nuun tablets-Citrus flavour… I just like the taste and they help avoid cramp by replacing salts.

Quick tip for cleaning rather than buying Camelbak tablets, denture tablets. Works a treat but make sure you rinse it well and dry it out a bit then store it empty in the freezer.

No mould.

enveetee
    Free Member

25% fruit juice – 40% fruit juice for 80+ milers

Works for me

excitable1
    Free Member

…or Bottle Green Ginger & Lemon Grass cordial for the hard tail pootle. Very nice and the ginger adds a bit of kick !

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Robinsons fruit & barley sugar free

jon1973
    Free Member

just add some orange squash to water to sweeten it up and give it some flavour.

yunki
    Free Member

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Only ever water, rinse out and stored in the freezer between rides.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

deepo – Member

Apparently they let you burn more fat than glycogen, saving your glycogen stores for longer. 🙄

Taff
    Free Member

Mould or Ribena or SIS PSP22 or High5… Did I mention mould? Only use energy stuff on longer rides. Also read that drinking green tea enables your body to burn fat stores as well as glycogen stores. Don’t know if any truth to that

tron
    Free Member

One of those drying / airer contraptions.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Not entirely sure, but the scientists at Porton Down are refusing to return it 😯

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

apple juice/water roughly 50/50. A bit of black stuff won’t do you any harm. My bladder often contains the previous weekends dregs, a quick rinse out with occaisonal brushing out the tube works.

trailmonkey

yunki – things have just been explained to me

fwiw i only have water in mine – this is the reason for my awesomeness

bighendo
    Free Member

33% Lucozade orange glucose energy drink , 66% tap water , good splash of lemon juice!!…
    ….cheap and mmm tasty!
    steradent denture cleaning tabs for cleaning!

mrmo
    Free Member

currently in mine is some black gunky stuff,

We have an understanding, i drink from the camelbak and the gunk doesn’t make me ill.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I use half a milton tab to sterilise mine. Dry it out by stuffing 3 or 4 sheets of kitchen roll in it.
    I only ever put water in it, if I need a boost I usually have some energy gels with me.

pcb
    Free Member

Water and black mouldy stuff mostly

mandog

Normally water. But I’m going to start using Zero’s on long rides. I clean out using boiling water.

chiefgrooveguru

Water. I cleaned it once a couple of years ago after putting sports drink in, haven’t since. Am I meant to?

johnners
    Free Member

water…keeps it cleaner. When I finish riding i refill the reservoir with clean tap water and keep it in the fridge…this minimises cleaning…

Water, topped up when necessary, never rinsed or kept in the fridge. Unable to minimise cleaning because I don’t do any. Still not ill or dead.

shinsplints

I am dead from mine and I am speaking to you all from beyond the grave.

fasthaggis

Use tablets or some home brewed juice mix.

I just rinse mine through with water after use, then chuck it in the freezer.Take it out when I need it again.
    I can’t be bothered with all that rinsing and drying out malarky + no black lurgy to kill me ……..yet 😉

votchy
    Free Member

High 5 zero electrolyte tablets, plain flavour with a bit of orange squash, rinse out with hot water then fill with hot water and store full, rinse with hot water before each refill.

scruff
    Free Member

I got gastroenteritis from a mouldy camelback bladder, you dont want gastroenteritis. 😥

hilldodger
    Free Member

Water in camelbak, salty/sugary goodness in bottle – only take the ‘bak if I’m on a very long or multiday ride though, otherwise a bottle (or two) will do……

cheers_drive

Electrolyte powder, squash and water for rides over 2hrs. Just water if not.
    Used to use GO but the powder and string squash does a similar job.

klumpy
    Free Member

Wee.

honourablegeorge

Was always a water-only type, but have been adding High-5 since I started getting it free from CRC – seems good, and no sugar, so no fungus.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Water, torq stuff, black gunk, milton.

The red wine trip was interesting.

Generally give it a swill out before I use it again, have a bad habit of leaving a little bit in the bottom.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Apparently they let you burn more fat than glycogen, saving your glycogen stores for longer.

They burn more fat because you’re not drinking sugar, surely?

Drink sugar – body burns sugar (and its own sugar and fat)
    Drink water – body burns it’s own sugar and fat
    Drink electrlyte – body burns it’s own sugar and fat for a bit longer as you’re not dehydrateing and getting a constant drip feed of vitmins/minerals/caffeen.

Winter – 2:1 maltodextrin:fructose, pro plus pills, ‘electolyte’, orange squash, hot water

Summer – electolyte + ice cubes + squash + cold water

I find it really hard to judge the energy content in summer so don’t bother anymore, or if I do I guestimate it and then halve it. Getting stuck with too strong a mix isn’t plesent. Whereas in winter I drink less so ~400caloires/litre lasts a whole ride without getting thirsty or a dehydrated sugar rush.

mattbee

Water with a lingering taste of Milton. Should really have stuck to the recommended dilution and not just stuck a whole bottle of it in to soak for a few hours….

klumpy
    Free Member

I once put in a milton solution to soak, then next day I nearly forgot what the pack was full of and almost ended up taking milton to drink.

passtherizla
    Free Member

sailor74 – Member
    Vimto

+1 ha ha…

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    They burn more fat because you’re not drinking sugar, surely?

Yep. Was always amused by the claims that you burn 40% more fat on High 5 than regular energy drinks. No shit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Whats in your Camelbak/Reservoir?’ is closed to new replies.