Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What's dug this?
  • geoffj

rat?

druidh
    Free Member

Too wee fer a dug

djglover
    Free Member

catch it?

geoffj

something's burrowing us!

Options are:
    Rat
    Cat
    Hedgehog
    Kids

My money is on 1 or 4, but Mrs J is convinced its 1 and I have to 'sort it out'

And yes I've told her that in this country you are never more than 10 ft away from someone who will tell you that you are never more than 10 ft away from a rat!

mt
    Free Member

Yes it's most likely a rat but there's a chance it could be a grey squirrel.

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

A watch-stealing magpie?

djglover
    Free Member

cat shit?

Karl33to
    Free Member

if you make a little patch of sand by the entrance so you can see the footprints and identify it using the interweb 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Just about anything imo – it's a bit of shale scattered across a paving slab. It was done quite soon before the photo was taken, the disturbed shale is dry, unlike the surrounding shale which is damp on the surface. Did you do it with your hand after removing your watch ?

geoffj

Did you do it with your hand after removing your watch ?

I didn't touch anything before taking the photograph. Watch is there for scale.

I've blocked it up and will investigate tomorrow.

tinribz
    Free Member

I'd give you 10 to 1 on a Roland. Filling it in wont help. Get some metal bins with tight lids and Warfrin.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What time was the photo taken ? It is clear from the fact that the disturbed material is dry, compared to the undisturbed surrounding material which has surface damp, that it hadn't been done long before. If it was taken late afternoon for example, I doubt very much that it would have been a hedgehog or rat.

geoffj

The picture was taken about midday today, but Mrs J said it was there this morning.
    Will have a look in the morning.

tinribz
    Free Member

If it was taken late afternoon for example, I doubt very much that it would have been a hedgehog or rat.

I had something very similar looking next to my garage, a week later the kids shouted me over and pointed out a rat on the garden path.

It was about 3pm on a sunny afternoon, just sitting there enjoying the attention, the brazenness of it!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Mmm……if it had been done before sunrise, then I would have expected the dew to have given all the shale the same even colour. Does it lead somewhere ? because rats don't just dig for the fun of it. I would also expect to see rat droppings.

snowslave

kill it

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah rats do come out in daylight hours tinribz, in fact I saw one in my sister's garden recently, I'm not sure how common it is though – often it is because they are ill due to poisoning. I've never seen a hedgehog walking around in daylight hours mind.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What's dug this?’ is closed to new replies.