Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What washing machine?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

So, I never got round to replacing the bearings the other week. The machine is making worse noises, bits of drum and seal are ending up in with the washing by the end of the cycle. I reckon it really is on its last legs.

Can you recomend a decent replacement? My missus has been looking around a bit and thinks John Lewis own brand seem to be the mutts nuts, and very good value. Any thoughts?

Whatever we get, its going to get hammered. I have at least one set of sweaty and usually muddy bike or running kit every day. My son generates equalt amount of filthy clothes. Obviously, my wife is a laydee and is spotless and smells of roses at all times. Basically it gets used, on average, more than once a day.

jp-t853

At least with John Lewis you usually get a decent warranty which makes it less of a gamble.

We bought an AEG washer dryer a few years ago, washer dryers have always been hit & miss previously but this one has been spot on so I would happily recommend and AEG which are also available in John Lewis

Cougar

If it gets used more than once a day then I’m surprised it still smells of roses.

Bosch and Meille are supposed to be the weapons of choice for the discerning (grubby) STWer, if memory serves.

cinnamon_girl

Do you have hard water?

used to be a Miele fan but now not so sure after recent experiences

craigxxl
    Free Member

After singing the praises of my 10 year old Whirlpool washing machine on here it broke and I went with what a lot of others were praising, an LG. Only had it 4 months but it’s quieter, clothes come out cleaner and dryer, energy usage down and wash cycles are much shorter. On a side note it also plays a tune when it starts and finishes.

eddie11
    Free Member

recommend john lewis as a shop, delvier free iirc

as for brand we have an AEG and it works

Meile are the rohloff hub of the washing machine world as i understand.

br
    Free Member

I just buy the cheapest one (this pretty much applies to all ‘white’ goods), that Comet have on offer.

And if you think you need an extended warranty, then you are spending too much to start with.

GJP
    Free Member

My vote goes to Siemens unless they now cost as much as Mielle. When I bought mine they were the same prices as Bosch or thereabouts. But when I looked at new Dishwasher they seemed to have risen a lot.

foofighter
    Free Member

+1 for John Lewis – our washer/dryer is 5 years strong.

cinnamon_girl

My vote goes to Siemens unless they now cost as much as Mielle. When I bought mine they were the same prices as Bosch or thereabouts. But when I looked at new Dishwasher they seemed to have risen a lot.

I recently bought a Siemens dishwasher (Miele didn’t make a small one) and it resembles an inferior quality one. Works fine but interior has cheapo fittings.

fubar
    Free Member

thinks John Lewis own brand seem to be the mutts nuts

My wife hates ours (was a Which best buy) but I’m not sure of the reasoning. She preferred our previous cheaper one (Zanussi).

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Meile are the rohloff hub of the washing machine world

You tease Eddie 🙂

fubar – can you find out why?

Neil-F
    Free Member

I like Hotpoint, we use ours every day, 2 kids and a right dirty minging old git. (me apparently.) We’ve had 2 in the last 8 years, the current one is 2.5 years old. Only real problem I had with the old one was the bearing went in the drum (£30 to replace it myself) and then oneday it just died suddenly. Very high mileage, never serviced, but still lasted way beyond the Ariston thing we had before it. Also get a 5 year parts warranty if you register with Hotpoint. 😀

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Another vote for Miele, and a third variant of the spelling.

We asked in our local domestic electric shop. They said something like ‘we sell X, Y and Z, and Miele. We very rarely get called out to a Miele.

They cost more up front but you save long-term.

br
    Free Member

They cost more up front but you save long-term.

Their cheapest one costs more than the three we’ve had in the last 12 years! And when it does go wrong you have so much invested its got to be fixed.

fubar
    Free Member

fubar – can you find out why?

Well I tried and this is what I got…”I just don’t like it” and “It doesn’t feel like a good washer” !?

What I do know is it’s pretty loud (although it wasn’t supposed to be). It also has an annoying alarm which repeats itself about half a dozen times at the end of the wash (there is a way to stop this but I’m not sure if it’s a permanent fix or some key combination you have to do every wash). When new I had problems with one of the ‘leg’ level adjusters not moving correctly (which may be why it’s loud !?) We probably should have sent it back and it may just be that we got one of the few bad ones. Currently clothes are getting damaged but that could down to the tumble drier. Ours is over 4 years old now…never broken but never liked. I won’t be buying another.

winrya
    Free Member

We’ve just replaced our 10 year old hotpoint which burnt out last week with an lg direct drive. Stunningly quiet, energy efficient and looks rather nice too. The 6 motion stuff is pretty impressive and the direct drive motor has a 10 year warranty.

myheadsashed

Siemens here it has a ten yr warranty.

slackalice
    Free Member

For vfm, LG. Look no further IME.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Our rented house has a hotpoint, I’d broke after a few weeks wouldn’t drain, warranty replacement broke main board this time. Landlady got a cheap bush one which is really good and shifts mud off clothes, sick off towels and semen off bedding really easily. I’d recommend it, it’s reasonably quiet too, just tape over the name.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

It’s hard to get excited about white goods – but here’s 2 stats that are mildly contradictory (apart from the top and bottom end) – from about 8,000 which members that responded.

Washing machine Which? reliability index
    Brand Rating Score
    Miele 93%
    John Lewis 91%
    Beko 89%
    Bosch 88%
    AEG/AEG-Electrolux 84%
    Zanussi/Zanussi-Electrolux 84%
    Siemens 84%
    LG 80%
    Indesit 80%
    Hotpoint 76%
    Whirlpool 73%
    Hoover 70%

Versus:
    Owner’s view’s (ie would you recommend this to your friend):

Washing machine owners’ views
    Brand Score
    Miele 94%
    Neff 88%
    Bosch 87%
    John Lewis 85%
    LG 85%
    Siemens 83%
    Samsung 80%
    AEG/AEG-ElectroluxNeff 79%
    Beko 78%
    Zanussi/Zanussi-Electrolux 74%
    Hotpoint 72%
    Whirlpool 70%
    Candy 67%
    Hoover 67%
    Indesit 66%

#Edit – sorry the rating stars dont show. Beko is a UK brand for the company that apparently make most of the non-major branded stuff (inc neff and JL) but their parent company name is too close to “itchy ass” for them to sell under their own name in the uk. Seriously!.

I dont own – nor am involved in any of the above btw!

tonyplym
    Free Member

Bought a bottom-of-the-range Miele a few years ago primarily because of the build quality and the fact that it runs so quietly (something to do with the heavy cast chassis inside the case which helps to smooth out any out-of-balance wobbling). One thing to watch out for though – they come in very heavy (something over 90 kg empty) and the two man delivery crew were unimpressed when they were told I lived in the second floor flat ! (and there’s no lift).

jordie
    Free Member

Our machine is on twice-three times a day and we have been through a lot of machines over the years but the Bosch we have at the moment is standing up pretty well, 3 years and no problems so far.I dont hose muddy clothing either i just bung it in. It wasn`t that expensive either about £325

ourmaninthenorth

same as tonyplym – bought the cheapest miele 7 years ago. Fantastic.

andermt
    Free Member

Bosch.

IMHO the best choice without having to go to the Miele prices.

That Which list has changed a lot in the last year or so as Beko were nowhere back then.
    Personally I wouldn’t touch them, had a Washing machine a few years back from them that lasted 2 washes, delivery guy who came to pick it up said he had seen a few do the same thing. Also had a Fridge-freezer from Beko that lasted 1 year.

ransos
    Free Member

Don’t think AEG are as good as they used to be – they’ve moved production out of Germany and joined up with Electrolux.

wrecker
    Free Member

Washing machine Which? reliability index
    Brand Rating Score
    Miele 93%
    John Lewis 91%
    Beko 89%
    Bosch 88%
    AEG/AEG-Electrolux 84%
    Zanussi/Zanussi-Electrolux 84%
    Siemens 84%
    LG 80%
    Indesit 80%
    Hotpoint 76%
    Whirlpool 73%
    Hoover 70%

Funny, John Lewis machines are all Electrolux.
    Bosch and Siemens are the same group with Siemens now being the “premium” of the two having a 5 yr warranty rather than 2. My Bosch has fallen over after 3.5 years use and more clever technology as standard.
    Miele are the best you will buy (apparently) but often double the price.

cheers_drive

6 1/2 year old John Lewis one here, faultless.

konabunny
    Free Member

Beko = Arçelik A.?.

childish lol

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What washing machine?’ is closed to new replies.