Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What tyres for……….
  • hexhamstu
    Free Member

Whistler bike park? Heading out in july for the rest of the season, what tyres should I take?

(bike is an orange 224)

jedi

dual ply tyres. couple of pairs

BearBack
    Free Member

Continental Der Kaiser in 2.5 black chilli

Will be almost as sticky as Maxxis ST but will last an awful lot longer!
    … and you’ll corner like a hero 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

I used a Clutch SX on the front and a High Roller dual ply on the back. Would happily ride with 2 of the spesh tyres if I went again.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

some 60a’s check for prices out there maybe better to buy in Vancouver

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Liking the look of the der kaiser and I’ve never tried black chilli, pricey though!
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38428&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Does the clutch go above a 2.3? I’m not the lightest of riders so like a large tyre.

BearBack
    Free Member

Yep, pricey, but oulasts most with grip in line with a super tacky Maxxis. So, not all that bad when you will be shredding tires through the season

Our partner rental store made the switch to Der Kaiser on all of their DH rental fleet because of the sheer amount of time it was saving them on shop labor switching out the oem worn out Maxxis or repairing flats on renters with insurance.

Food for thought

Oh and rubber is typically more expensive over here.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’m thinking I might try and pick some rubber up in vancouver, as I was told anything bought in whistler is RRP at the very least.

_tom_
    Free Member

Everything in Whistler is overpriced so I’d definitely look into stocking up either now or in Vancouver. I think there’s a non-sx version of the Clutch which might be bigger. The 2.3 Clutch SX is a lot wider than a 2.3 high roller.

BearBack
    Free Member

£65 quid in Summit after taxes at their full retail ($89.99)

Things in Whistler aren’t necessarily over priced. but like you say typically at the RRP that the distributors require shops to advertise at which is just the same for Vancouver. Same deal as most UK LBS’s as far as pricing really. Price is RRP unless you ask for a discount, know someone or are adding tires to a bike purchase..
    We don’t have the consumer luxury of e-stores like Chain Reaction over here so shops all have to pay their brick and mortar overheads and the USA e-stores don’t make sense when you factor in the boarder and customs 🙁
    You can get discounts off RRP at most places though if you ask.
    I reckon you could get a set of Der Kaisers for £55 with a good (achievable) discount, but chain reaction still just wins!

chiefgrooveguru

Specialized Butcher DH (or SX if you ride lighter) would be good.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for……….’ is closed to new replies.