Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 177 total)
  • What to do… (Lying tenant content)
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

She has no tattoos… If she’d had cats, I would have been more than happy to help ‘rehouse’ them.

She’s a mature student doing a post grad, sounds like she’s split up with someone and sold their house – hence the rent up front.

So yes, 3 unattended dogs is a huge concern. The property is a mid-terrace, garden fronted and yard to the rear. I wouldn’t keep dogs there. (When I say that, I don’t mean it’s really bad, I mean it’s not suitable for keeping dogs!!)

Janice

Edukator
    Free Member

Signing off as Gunter, Joey then Marcel suggests you are trolling. I hope this is the case.

Edit: and now as a woman, Janice.

yunki
    Free Member

She has no tattoos…

I hope you’re 100% certain about that.. she could be lying about that too, or did you conduct a thorough inspection..?

If not, you haven’t got a leg to stand on

martinhutch

Bet no-one ever told her life was going to be this way – she’s broke, her job’s a joke, her love life’s DOA.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Frankly as a dog owner who has just gone through trying to find a rental property I have a lot of sympathy for the woman. It seems dog owners are automatically excluded from 90% of the rental market with the remaining 10% being at the sh!tty end. I discussed with my misses whether we should just lie but we decided to be honest and have finally found a suitable property (landlord is a dog owner herself) but it wasn’t easy. We’ve paid a larger deposit and have agreed to have the carpets professionally cleaned at the end of the let all of which a don’t have a problem with. Not quite sure why dogs are discriminated agianst more than say children. I’ve never had a dog that’s writen on the walls! To the OP please give her a chance she may well have been desperate. Just ask for a larger deposit and profrssional cleaning at the end of the let.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Signing off as Gunter, Joey then Marcel suggests you are trolling. I hope this is the case.

You wouldn’t understand…

I hope you’re 100% certain about that.. she could be lying about that too, or did you conduct a thorough inspection..?

You’re absolutely right – I took her word on this, and recent events obviously call this into question. Don’t fancy strip searching her though… 🙁

Fun Bobby

richmtb

If she is a good tenant otherwise then I would probably let it go.

On another note I went to a zoo the other day and it was almost completely empty. All the had was one dog

It was a Shitzu

Tom Selleck

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Bet no-one ever told her life was going to be this way – she’s broke, her job’s a joke, her love life’s DOA.

We have a winner! 😀

Shibboleth
    Free Member

To the OP please give her a chance she may well have been desperate. Just ask for a larger deposit and profrssional cleaning at the end of the let.

Contrary to popular belief, I do have the ability to empathise – I just choose not to. The biggest problem is the bare-faced lies and trying to take advantage of my good nature by getting me to agree to one tiny tea-cup dog and then over-running the place with the bloody things!

I’m afraid I can’t just let this go. I think I’m going to get a quote for a full deep clean and make her pay for that up front, plus additional deposit to cover replacing carpets if necessary.

The Chick and The Duck

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m sure I would understand if you explained clearly. You normally post things that are serious and/or vaguely amusing. I’m not smiling and hope you aren’t serious. perhaps an explanation would raise a smile or convince me you’re not being serious.

munrobiker
    Free Member

My wife was a post grad student last year, and now works for a uni, and is home 90% of the time. She says she wished she’d been able to have a dog then as it’s the best opportunity she’ll have to look after one.

My impression of this is that you’re being a malicious bellcheese for the sake of it.

Richard

Edukator
    Free Member

Google tells me they are Friends characters whatever Friends is.

emsz
    Free Member

They’re the names of Friends characters Ed.

Naked guy

martinhutch

Google tells me they are Friends characters whatever Friends is.

Trying Googling ‘Friends’.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The biggest problem is the bare-faced lies and trying to take advantage of my good nature

HAHAHAHAHAH

Nice one

I hope the dogs shit on your carpets and ruin the house- I could empathise I am just choosing not to 😛

Smelly cat

user-removed
    Free Member

That sounds reasonable. Having allowed one dog already you’re on a bit of a sticky wicket though…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Ed, quite a few threads on which Rachel (allthegear) posts descend into mild ribbing of her fondness for signing off with her signature.

In this case, I thought it might lighten the mood if I signed off with characters’ names from Friends, and other posters have joined in.

It is a fairly dull, serious thread, and I was looking for genuine advice on what to do – there’s a huge cross-section of people and opinions on here which are very helpful.

And I thought it rather nice that we could all join in with a bit of an “in joke”, sorry if you got the wrong end of the stick and thought me flippant. 🙂

Emily

Edukator
    Free Member

I have now Googled Friends. :-/

martinhutch

Now buy the box-set. It’ll change your life.

Can’t believe it took this long to get to Smelly Cat, though.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Can’t believe it took this long to get to Smelly Cat, though.

And slipped in so beautifully! Chapeau! And I genuinely LOL’d at being called a bellcheese! 😀

Ursula Buffay

Shibboleth
    Free Member

That sounds reasonable. Having allowed one dog already you’re on a bit of a sticky wicket though…

Back on a slightly serious note, it was an informal verbal agreement – the tenancy agreement is clearly worded, no pets and not to be used for keeping any animals, reptiles, fish or birds.

The Screamer

chvck
    Free Member

I had to pay a significantly larger deposit and have to have the place professionally cleaned when I move out because I have a pet. I have no problem with it and thought that it was fairly standard practise! I have every intention of getting back every last penny of that deposit though…

I only have a cat and it took me quite a while to find a place to rent that would tolerate me having her. I don’t condone it at all but I can see why someone might lie about having 3 dogs as I suspect the odds of finding somewhere that allows them would be pretty slim.

emsz
    Free Member

Poor Emily 😥

Edukator
    Free Member

I spent years renting then became a landlord. Perhaps that’s why I have a “my property, their home” approach which means I sleep easy at night and generally manage to settle differences out of court.

Even when I had a tenant spending his money on sorting out family issues in the civil war in Ivory Coast rather than paying I just let it ride rather than going legal. He eventually left when EDF cut the power off.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I had to pay a significantly larger deposit and have to have the place professionally cleaned when I move out because I have a pet. I have no problem with it and thought that it was fairly standard practise!

How “significantly larger” are we talking Chvck?

midlifecrashes

You either take it on the chin or you make a big deal, either way you learn to put everything in writing next time.

Anyway, you are Mr Treeger and I claim my $5.

DanW
    Free Member

Document everything and get everything in writing then you put yourself in the best possible possible come the end of tenancy.

Deductions and the like come surely come at the time of moving out based on the condition of the property. If there have been breaches of contract by either side (assuming no pets is in the contract) then it makes it much easier for the Deposit Protection Scheme to allow X amount of the deposit to be used for cleaning/ replacement of items. Again, it is all about keeping accurate records, receipts, photos (need to be signed and dated by both parties) to back up your claims for deductions from the deposit.

You did register the deposit with a Deposit Portection Scheme and take a comprehensive inventory signed by the tenant at the start of tenancy didn’t you…..?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Estelle

Cheers

Danny B

chvck
    Free Member

How “significantly larger” are we talking Chvck?

50% more, this is in Oxford too so to me it’s a fairly significant sum!

hora
    Free Member

She has tattoo’s? Anchors and sailor tats?

Bernard x

Shibboleth
    Free Member

You did register the deposit with a Deposit Portection Scheme and take a comprehensive inventory signed by the tenant at the start of tenancy didn’t you…..?

Of course. All taken care of.

Charlton Heston

DanW
    Free Member

In that case document the dogs in some way as evidence of her breaching the contract and claim whatever puts you out of pocket at the end of the tenancy. Any worries beyond that?

robdixon
    Free Member

it could actually work out quite well – assuming she’s a reliable tenant the OP may land up with her staying for quite a long time because of the lack of places that take dogs – the minimal extra hassle associated with her having pets could result in not having to deal with any void periods for a few years.

wwaswas

In that case document the dogs in some way

you could press them, like flowers?

Dale Winton.

mikey3
    Free Member

Kill them all.

Edna Sharples.

hora
    Free Member

Robdixon has a point.

Shabba Ranks

chakaping
    Free Member

Go and inspect the property, then come and whinge about it on here if you still feel the need.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

So she has 3 dogs, but what about their health.

My friends rent, they have a brain damaged cat and a healthy dog but the dog is uber well trained, though it’s a smallish garden and it’s burned out a bit. The cat is well trained too actually, but …

… due to brain damage it wobbles as it walks, and falls over a lot. Means it uses it’s claws quite a bit more to keep upright and they have to clean up quite a bit after it’s been to the litter tray as it falls over in there frequently.

They both work full time so this often means it’s when they get home after it’s been a few hours.

I believe the landlord just knows it’s a cat .. nothing else.

cheers
    Fun Bobby

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

If it was me I would ask her to admit a portion of the rent will be needed to clean up/paint when she leaves AND then she can stay on the understanding that all but one of the dogs will be re-homed ASAP or the % increases. A good tenant is hard to find and this might be a good compromise.

Mind, having said this, my tenant left saying she’d only left a few empty boxes in the cellar, I removed 9 car loads to the local tip when I went in and am now disputing the cost of this – it included a fridge, a single bed in various parts, tons of boxes and waste paper and bottles of strange yellow liquid purporting to be homebrew… of and a bookshelf and packling crates.

nah… get shot of… serve her notice NOW! 😉

verses

ClapClap-ClapClap

Cheers,
    BIG HEAD, BIG HEAD, BIG HEAD!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘What to do… (Lying tenant content)’ is closed to new replies.