Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What team building event…..
  • chalkstorm
    Free Member

Guys

I run a contract and have just been awarded some new sites. As part of the deal, the client wants me to set up a team building day for the team (probably 20-30 folk). A mixture of people but mostly reasonably healthy. I’ve been on these before and hate them – being forced to have fun! However, this bunch – we all know each other – and it is more about chilling than anything too serious (there will be business update parts of the day).

So, any ideas? Looking for something a bit different – with an overnight stay (hotel or camping)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hunt the scapegoat.

deadslow

Have a blame storm

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Palmer Promosport

Not cheap

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Looks amazing….. and while I have no budget limitations to speak of, that blows it!

willard

PAINTBALLL!!!!!!!

Oh, you said you like them. Maybe not then.

How about canoeing down the Wye valley. That’s pretty chilled and has an overnight stop in it. Take some beers, a BBQ and some nice food and relax.

donsimon
    Free Member

Do you want team building or chilling and getting to know you stuff?
    If it’s an active group, why not have some type of orienteering/treasure hunt. Two teams sub divided into pairs, winners are the whole team back home meaning the fastest finishers have to go back and pick up others. More points awarded for the best team rather than the first, even though the fastest might also be the best team if you know what I mean.
    If it’s getting to know you sessions, go to the nearest pub. 😛

Muke
    Free Member

Smething different you say, how about Firewalking

Bregante

My wife and her team went to go ape recently and that seems to have gone well

http://goape.co.uk/

Mantastic
    Free Member

Soggy Biscuits

jota180
    Free Member

Just go to the pub, nobody wants to do team building shit

if you took10 people
    1 would want to do it
    4 would go along with it just so they don’t rock the boat
    the other 5 will hate every minute of it and tell you so

better still, do it as a home study course

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msFu17II-Is&feature=relmfu[/video]

Wookster

Not sure where you are but I did a lot if ths stuff when I worked in the sailing industry? It’s often a good way to even the playing field (from tea boy/girl to CEO) jobs for every one from trimming to driving, navigating, getting the kite up etc. choose either two larger boat or a number of smaller charters. I worked every thing from 30’s throught to over 70 ft.

You can point to point he solvents god for ragging about ten into cowes Yarmouth for lunch hen back or even overnight. Or even across to the channel islands. Maybe worth a look?

jota180
    Free Member

How about freckles?

rickmeister

Where are you based, I do this stuff and can either help or put you in touch with someone…

oddjob
    Free Member

Cooking school or at a restaurant making the food for each other. That’s been pretty good here but it’s not that cheap either

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Thanks guys, some good suggestions. Masterchef stylee event has been suggested…. everyone could do that.

rickmeister – I’m Cannock – but cover the full UK…. Midlands ish would be best.

I’d love a bike ride/climb/canoe/camping/bbq piss up…. but unfortunately have to cater for the masses….

wwaswas

but unfortunately have to cater for the masses

DVD and a pizza then 🙁

mrmo
    Free Member

went canoeing on the severn last year, and maybe surfing this year?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I just do not get this stuff. Why would anyone want to do this?

wwaswas

it’s to develop brand affinity TJ 😉

chalkstorm
    Free Member

I sort of agree with TJ… but big corporates think it is the right thing to do… and us daft contractors go along with it (they are paying!).

I’m just struggling to see the point…. fun rape…..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I simply would not take part. In any of it and I would make it clear to my line manager

donsimon
    Free Member

Because we’re dealing with people, sometimes people need to see where they fit in and learn about their strengths and weaknesses to help the organisation they work for operate with greater efficiency and have the employees feel good.
    Alternatively they could be system following drones who focus on the task that they do rather than the results they help produce and remain blisfully ignorant.
    Why would anyone want to learn and improve either themselves or the organisation they work for?
    Think about how a team works in sport, rugby for example…… On second thoughts, don’t…. 😀

chalkstorm
    Free Member

It is a paid part of your job…. you wouldn’t be working for us…. the cultural divide would be too great for you!

donsimon
    Free Member

I simply would not take part. In any of it and I would make it clear to my line manager

This attitude demonstates that while you reject the idea of developing in a team you are actually the one in most need of being made aware of your position in a group. And because of this self centred and selfish attitude [lord sugar]you’re fired[/lord sugar]

Tom-B
    Free Member

You could host a debate on the merits of wearing a helmet when cycling-you could even invite TJ so that he could experience the benefits of these corporate events….

jota180
    Free Member

Why don’t you come up with various ideas and then just run them up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes them?

sandwicheater
    smoothchicken

‘Ringfence the unicorn’ anyone? 😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

TandemJeremy – Member

Instead of thinking about what you wouldn’t want to do why don’t you tell us what you would like to do?

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Team player eh TJ. Nice attitude. Either that or you really do work with a bunch of hideous work colleagues. 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

paintball my ar5e, unless it’s with TANKS

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Generally, it’s good fun, but you have to be able to get through the experience without arguing, so I can see why you might struggle. That said, if you don’t like your colleagues and they don’t like you, it’s unlikely to do anything other than entrench the already hostile mindsets.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What team building event…..’ is closed to new replies.