Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What MTB leader course?
  • Nezbo
    Free Member

I have been looking at doing a MTB leader course for a while now. I have been looking at the Peak Leaders course but I just can’t afford or take 6 weeks off work (realistically)

So what other course are they maybe a week or 2 long that will give me the same qualifications’ as the Peak Leaders one?

And what is the most recognised mtb course there is?

Nezbo
    Free Member

That is the problem, none of them do it all course, and they are all individual courses.

And nothing condensed to a week or 2 weeks…

RayMazey
    Free Member
    Graham_Clark

If you’re seriously interested in the Peak Leaders one (a CTC course), then go to the CTC Courses website and book on the same course in this country… All dates, etc. are on line and courses are running from now around the country.

x-isle
    Free Member

I can’t say enough good things about Mountain Bike Instruction (as shown above).

I did my MIAS qual with them and not only came away with a qualification, but thoroughly enjoyed it!

Craig Rogers
    http://www.chaseskills.co.uk – Chase Skills, Mountain Bike Skills Coaching at Cannock Chase

RayMazey
    Free Member

Thank you Craig.

Hope all is going good for you.
    Ray

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’ll make the same comment about that Peak Leader’s course as I do about the many similar ski/snowboard instructor courses that are offered.

I have no idea why you would pay nearly £4000 to obtain qualifications which can be obtained for less than £500.

I am sure the training etc. they offer is excellent and you’d have a ball doing it, but if it’s just to get the qualis, it’s a completely mad way to go about it.

EDIT: And you won’t find any courses which are condensed down to 1/2 weeks as you are required to go out and get extra experience between stages (and rightly so).

x-isle
    Free Member

I’m getting a little confused here? If you are after a MTB Leadership course and are not looking to go to high altitudes (lower than 600meters) then a simple MIAS or SMBLA (Level 1 or 2) course is perfect for you.

These courses can be done in just a few days. The MIAS is a great path to getting a leader award as the Level 1 and 2 are combined with constant assesment followed by a practical assesment where the instructor will pass you as Level 1 or Level 2.

Of course, I appologise if I’m missing an important point here.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Forgot to say, you’ll still have to do a First Aid course of min 8 hours, but 16 hours recommended.

Craig Rogers
    http://www.chaseskills.co.uk – Chase Skills, Mountain Bike Skills Coaching at Cannock Chase

P.S. Thanks Ray, everything is going better than we could of hoped for and are getting fantastic feedback.

Nezbo
    Free Member

Cheers for all the info (all a great help by the way), I am not too sure what course I want rally but I want, what is I want to go higher the 600m?

I guess I will have to do the Level 1 and 2 first then what is after that? I am thinking long term at the mo…

I think basically I want the MTB Technical leader’s award… I just want to do as many MTB courses as I can, it may lead to something but it may not. But it’s something I want to do.

RayMazey
    Free Member

There is nothing to stop you taking groups above 600 metres with a Level 2 providing they are over 18 or under 18 if they are accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. At the end of the day, it is about providing a duty of care for the group or individual and minimising (hopefully eliminating) the risk of being negligent.

If you are taking a group or individual under the age of 18 over 600 metres for commercial gain and they were not accompanied by their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) then you would need to register with the AALA .

This is only a rough guide (Feb. 2010) and therefore it is important to visit the AALA website for detailed / current requirements. –

http://www.hse.gov.uk/aala/index.htm

thomthumb
    Free Member

And what is the most recognised mtb course there is?

smbla
    CTC

+ a mountain leader for mountain stuff

RayMazey
    Free Member

thomthumb

MIAS, SMBLA CTC are all widely recognised. I have been providing the MIAS course for the past 8 years to – Outdoor Centres, Schools, MOD, Holiday companies etc.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Do a high mountain first aid course, the bike guide courses are bullshit.

jamesb
    Free Member

Pretty well agree with above, apart from second part!
    Do a level 2 MTB course, then go out and practise / consolidate on more difficult / tech stuff, maybe go on a level 3 skills course. The extra part of being high and remote could be tackled through appropriate remote terrain 1St Aid courses.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What MTB leader course?’ is closed to new replies.