Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What grips for gripshift?
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

as subject for big handed pie muncher who likes ODI Ruffians and is making the switch to XO gripshift on his HT. Also considering putting my Coda bar ends on as well.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I thought you just cut down whatever you wanted?

njee20
    Free Member

Cut down ODI Ruffians?

therealhoops
    Free Member

S.O.: i was looking for something a little less Heath Robinson.
    njee: oh if i could find some 🙁

also, if you've got gripshift one side bar ends on t'other, do you still need a lock on?

rootes1

big hands, how about Ergons for gripshift…

they do them for gripshift

also do some nice cork ones now

njee20
    Free Member

No, I meant take a hacksaw to some ODI Ruffians.

You don't need lock-ons at all. If you have big hands Bontrager Race X Lite foam grips work well, they're the same diameter as the Grip Shift, light, cheap, and are easy to cut down, they look fine too as they've got 'ridges' on them anyway.

Like this:

therealhoops
    Free Member

that looks perrty, how long is that grip? I reckon 80mm is about right.

njee20
    Free Member

Mine? They're normal grip length, but I just cut them down on one of the 'ridges', dunno how long they ended up, they were a bit long. I generally used to just cut one grip in half, so I effectively had 2 sets!

Cheap and light too

GW
    Free Member

You know, Lock-ons also come in gripshift length.

Rickos
    Free Member

Lizard Skins do Gripshift lock-ons. Ask Si at 18Bikes.

monksie
    Free Member

I have the specifically made by Odi for gimpshift purposes half size lock on's which I purchased from Chain Reaction Cycles on my Cannondale F1000sl which is fitted with Sham gimp shifters..

njee20
    Free Member

Sham gimp shifters

You're pleased with that aren't you? Hence feeling the need to shoehorn it into your post twice?

monksie
    Free Member

It's a bit of an in joke with Hoopsie. Sorry if I bothered you.

therealhoops
    Free Member

aaahh Monksie!! how are you snukums? I'm still after one of your 'specials' if you're passing through. Has the w@nkers-cramp cleared up yet?

I've seen the cut fown grips on CRC but they seem too short/too expensive/not in stock.

Might have to go with the hack saw approach with a clamp at one end…. will that really work?

I was looking for in between size grips and ended up cutting down some full length ones.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/are-all-lock-on-grips-the-same-length

monksie
    Free Member

Hahahaha! – You big gayer! I'm good thanks. You can have an S&M saddle for free.
    Actually, I'm out for the day tomorrow and Thursday. I'm doing two Peak District epics if the media world can spare you for one or more of them?

therealhoops
    Free Member

behave! i have to give you some beans for it.

I wish!!!!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

What grips for gripshift?

Gripshift grips I reckon.

therealhoops
    Free Member

adh – I've checked, they're pants.

Monksie – would love to spend a day in tut hills but these two have other plans for their daddy

drumon

Are "normal" length grips too long for gripshift normally, or is the length not really a problem…?

I want to replace my grips next to old gripshifters, and was wondering if a long grip is actually beneficial to prevent accidentally twisting the shifter? Have others found that is the case or not?

njee20
    Free Member

Too long, if they fit you have to reach miles to your shifter, and the chances are you won't have enough room on your bars for all your controls.

VanHalen

hacksaw regular lockons and cut slots in teh cut end and peel off a bit of the outer grip to fit the inner clamp.

its 5 mins work.

drumon

So Lock-on grips and regular slide on grips can just be trimmed? sounds simple.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

adh – I've checked, they're pants.

What all of them? Odd, mine are great. SRAM IIRC, much better than the cutdown hardcores I used to begin with.

therealhoops
    Free Member

coming round to Van Halen's way of thinking.

Tiz a tricky one coz XO shifters are wider than anything similar I've used in the past. I've found my fore finger and thumb wrap nicely around the shifter without changing gear while the remaining 3 digits do the grunt of the hanging-on. Ruffians might be too narrow 🙁

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What grips for gripshift?’ is closed to new replies.