Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What GPS for biking…
  • Nezbo
    Free Member

ok. I am looking for a GPS for mapping and tracking it will need to have the following.

UK and US Topo mapping available,
    Powered by AA batteries or readily available batteries (from a local shop etc..),
    Small,
    Light,
    Waterproof,
    Robust,

I have been looking at the Garmin Dakota, Garmin Oregon, and the Memory Map Adventurer 2800.
    I am not too sure about the garmin’s topo mapping weather it is as good as a Memory map 1 – 50k maps, but memory map does not use AA batteries.

Garmin Dakota: Uses AA batteries, Small, Light, 20hr battery life (big contender depending on maps)

Garmin Oregon: Uses AA batteries, 16hr battery life.

Memory Map: OS 1 to 50k Maps (but uses its own battery and no figures on battery life)

Is there any others that are out there and are worth a look?

BadlyWiredDog

The MM one is ‘weather resistant’ rather than waterproof. They have a new one due out soon which is waterproof and has user-swappable batteries, I think. Both the Garmins will run 1:50,000 OS mapping, same as the MM btw.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Oregon 450 here I use OS 1:50K mapping is standard throughout the GPS’s works fine off and on road. Very robust unit with simple to use touch screen. If you do a lot of on road I would recommend the Oregon as it has a car sta nav routing mode which is great on road as it shows you a arrow for the next turn etc. Will not work off road. I used mine for all the Welsh classic MTB stuff and works well. Off to France this weekend touring on the road bike with mine. Brilliant piece of kit. Not had any battery life issues, I use rechargeable Lithium.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JustGoRide
    Free Member

I’ve used the Dakota with the GB Adventurer maps – plenty of map detail and easy to use.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

AA batteries are available anywhere in the world if your the more adventurous type. Oregon also has the Points Of Interest option. Can tell you the things of interest within the area you are in and then lets you navigate to them with one touch. Very useful to get to station, bank, hotel or tourist site.

Nezbo
    Free Member

JustGoRide – I think the Dakota is still at the top of the list at the mo, what do you think of yours, ie battery life, easy of use, map details, build quilty.

Also what are the maps of the US like?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What GPS for biking…’ is closed to new replies.