Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • What 'Enduro' Wheelset?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Going to be on the lookout for a new wheelset soonish as my 5 year old Hope/Mavics are coming up to retirement age. I’m going to be looking to get something as light as possible whilst still being able to take a beating for technical trail riding, trail centre type stuff and some Enduro racing. I’ve had a quick scan through CRCs offerings and there are:
    Hope Hoops with Stans Flow at 1886g
    Easton Havens at 1650g
    e13 TRS+ at 1628g
    Mavic Crossmax at 1660g

Question is, what would STW do? Whilst the Hopes are 200g heavier, they’re a couple of hundred quid cheaper at least than the others. A couple of hundred quid I might not mind paying if they’re top notch wheels.

Or are there better options than the Stans Flow/Hope hub setup? Is there a better/lighter option of a ‘normal’ wheelset?

Ideas on a postcard or just typed below welcome!
    Cheers
    Dave

ton

look for some wheels that are not branded with the latest fashionable i.e have your pants down name, and save yourself a boat load of cash.
    you know as well has i do, that sticking the word enduro on a component does not make one ounce of differance……… 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I know Tony.

OK – what ‘trail*’ wheelset 😉

* just bombing around on that won’t break

ton

hope and mavic…..perfect combo in my eyes.
    or some handbuilt ones from spa cycles, using good old shimano xt hubs with loose ball bearings…….had a pair for 7yrs, still going strong.

BearBack
    Free Member

DT’s excellent but pricey Spline1 EX1501.. wide and strong!

Ultra reliable star ratchet with 36T engagemnet as standard

From PB

DT have simply got these wheels right. Weight is on the money, especially considering how stiff and strong they are. On the rim, the wider profile is something we’re big fans of here at Pinkbike and the tubeless performance is good. At the hub, they are a worthy update from the classic 240 hubs. They are a hundred dollars or so more expensive than some of their competitors, but we would say they are worth the extra cash. These are, without a doubt, one of the best factory wheelsets money can buy right now. – Matt Wragg

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What’s the state of the hubs, not a rebuild job?

kimbers

If your gonna be racing , reliable is key ime , the crossmax are pricey and high maintenance – friend had his 6month old set internals replaced for the 3rd time this weekend by mavic, all for free but of 4 mates racing on mavics all have had to have them fixed under warranty
    Also how much ch mavic weight saving is skinny rim at the back? a few people at ews had theirs rebuilt onto the wider front rim after folding them and saw at least one person with a different rim on the back of their crossmax at ukge this weekend

I’d go for hopes on flow ex or as I have light bicycle carbon 35mm wide rims built onto my old hopes, easy enough to convert to 142 for a new frame

Stevelol
    Free Member

Spank Oozy 😀

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Easton will let you down when you need spares
    Mavic wheels are awesome ( on a road bike) they’re nothing but loads of niggly problems on MTB’s
    E13 I haven’t had any experience of yet.
    Hope/Stans look dull but work & are mega reliable.

njee20
    Free Member

If you’re looking at Crossmax money I’d go for Light Bicycle rims on hubs of your choice – DT240s if the budget will stretch.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers all. Reliability is something I’d obviously want – my Hopes/Mavics are 5 years old (and I bought them second hand so could well be a fair bit more!) and the only maintenance I’ve ever had to do is replace the bearings which is a 10 minute job and I’ve only done that a couple of times.

So Hopes on Stans Flow EX seems to be a good option. I’ve never run tubeless either so would be saving weight there I guess.

Anyone using the Light Bicycle carbon rims? I live in the Pennines where rocky trails are the norm and would be scared witless of killing a carbon rim!

Cheers – I’ll carry on looking 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, a 16 page thread full of people using them on here, plus a significantly larger thread on MTBr.

chrishc777
    Free Member

+1 for spank oozy!

I have the rims laced to pro 2 evos, come in at just over 1700g and have taken one hell of a bashing with no problems.

Tracey

Abigale and me have been running Roval Traverse ELs for a couple of years which have been used mainly in the Peak and for Alps trips. This year mine have had 3 weeks battering in the Alps and Abigales 5 weeks.
    Both sets are still running true and mine have had 2 spokes fitted. one which broke when it was hit with a rock and one getting it of a trailer when it got caught.
    I’ve also taken the plunge and getting some of my existing Hope hubs built onto some Light Bicycle carbon rims, bought off classifieds but new, for my other bike. Dropped them off for building on Saturday so cant comment on them yet or how they compare

honourablegeorge

goldenwonder – Member

Mavic wheels are awesome ( on a road bike) they’re nothing but loads of niggly problems on MTB’s

Dunno about that, my SX have been brilliant.

HindlePie
    Free Member

‘Ginger Rick’ is currently re-tensioning my Flow Ex’s on Hope Pro 2’s in prep for the Basque. Plenty of trips to the Alps/Wales/Peak/Lakes and these have ran completely true over the last 2 years. Had a number of spokes snap at bizarre moments, but I think they were built too tight to begin with, apart from that I can’t recommend them enough.

deviant
    Free Member

Superstar Tactic…someone on here used them to race the EWS and they were faultless by all accounts, i have them on my hardtail on that basis, seem good so far, the Tesla-Evo hubs are a joy to use, the ease with which you can change bearings, swap between axle standards etc is excellent.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I can only go by my personal experience as a mechanic in a very busy shop.
    We’ve fitted 6 sets this year I think on custom builds & they’ve all been back in for hub issues.
    Hope hubs-around 20 pairs so far & only 1 warranty…

sideshow
    Free Member

All you people recommending spank oozy, the spank subrosa looks stronger, why not that?

And does anyone know who will build up a spank on hope combination (I don’t think any leave the factory like that)?

Northwind

Was interesting to see Mavic fitting front Crossmax Enduro rims to the rear of pro’s wheelsets at the EWS- basically turning them into Crossmax SXs, the rear (essentially a Crossmax ST rim) doesn’t seem to be up to the job. Though o’course they could be fine for civilian use.

I’ve put a set of Lightbicycle rims on DT240Ss, they’ve not been tested that much but my older design LB rim has worked really well in the back of my hardtail so I’m reasonable confident. DT hubs are stupidly expensive new but if you look around, you can easily pick up 26 inch wheelsets with 240 hubs in for not much money, and they’re longlived and fully servicable so it’s not much of a risk.

Hopes on Flows are a good simple option- the Flow Ex rim isn’t the toughest tbh, I was a wee bit disappointed (though not terribly) by mine, the old Flow was more resiliant IMO.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve got Easton Havocs and they’re been really good – lightish and super easy to run tubeless (UST rims). i’ve had no issues getting spares and I’m sure Silverfish will make it work.

I’m not a fan of the Stans system – I know saying stuff like that is worthy of lynching round these parts but is seems like a bodge / faff comapred to UST. One of the chaps that I ride with has some and seems to have a lot of issues with geting tyres to seat and with the valves. His wheels flex more than his old Mavis too (lots of tyre rub).

Northwind

mindmap3 – Member

His wheels flex more than his old Mavis too (lots of tyre rub).

He should probably get them fixed tbh.

It could be that he’s fallen foul of the low tension myth- lots of people are afraid to build Flows right, they think they need low tension because they have no eyelets. The minimum tension for Flow Exes is actually higher than the recommended tension for Mavics.

For tubelessness I honestly found them pretty much identical, once taped, to my Mavic USTs. Only difference being that very occasionally I damaged the rim tape while removing a tyre, which could be irritating. And there’s more room for user error with fitting the tape and valves I suppose if you don’t follow the instructions.

I do like the WTB UST-ready system, it seems like a best of both worlds- the light weight and easy wheelbuilding of TLR, and the bead of UST.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Whilst I’m very much a fan of the Stans Flow EX (with them on two of my bikes), I’ve now found a new favourite: Syntace W35.

They run tubeless in the same was as Stans do but the 35mm width has a noticable effect on the profile of tyres.

wrecker
    Free Member

Is there anything better than a set of Pro 2 evo/Flow Ex’s out there for the money at present?
    I’d like a wider (25mm internal) rim if possible but they all seem pricey.
    To be honest, I don’t want to splurge on another set of highish end 26″ wheels, and I certainly don’t want to buy a new frame and forks to suit some 6fiddys.
    No Superstar Components please.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

This conversation was happening while waiting for stage 5 at the recent Grizedale UKGE, the opinion amongst racers was that the mavic enduro set was nice and bling but people getting them repaired every race was silly and how the hope/stans flow ex combo were reliable for a couple of seasons of racing with no issues.
    I’ve also got hope pro II / Flow Ex and have no inclination to change.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Mavic tubeless on hope hubs for me.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Theres nothing really wrong I guess with my old Pro2 hubs so I read with interest the thread on the LB carbon rims, especially the wider versions. Tempting… Otherwise I may just get some new Hope Hoops on Hope’s own rim or some Stans…

Last thing I want is to shell out £600 on some wheels for them to be constantly requiring fettling or bits replacing. Sod that…

nick1962
    Free Member

These caught my eye the other day
    http://www.xxcycle.com/american-classic-all-mountain-26-wheelset-2013,,en.php
    they also have some cheaper ones on that site too.
    Never used the shop or the wheels but they are light and get some decent reviews.

chrishc777
    Free Member

sideshow – Member
    All you people recommending spank oozy, the spank subrosa looks stronger, why not that?

And does anyone know who will build up a spank on hope combination (I don’t think any leave the factory like that)?

I got mine built up by my LBS with my choice of spokes and nipples, cost me a bit extra than say merlin hope/flows but they are briliant coming from hope on 521s.
    My reasoning was £450 for the spank wheelset where it was only the rims they were raving about in all the grouptests they were winning, or £442 for the same rims on Hope pro 2 evo, which are well known for being ace and are made in the UK with excellent warranty backup. Plus built by a guy I trust and meet on the trails and can go back to if anything goes wrong. AND i got to choose type and colour of spokes and nipples. Add on the support your LBS factor and it was a no brainer.

Subrosas are stronger but to be honest kitted up I weigh 90kg, so add around 14 of bike and the fact that I am not at all smooth or graceful and the fact that these are still running perfectly means the Subrosas are maybe overkill for trail riding.

Sorry about the massive writeup but I’ve just got back from a smashing ride and am still buzzing like mad!

zerocool

Hope Pro 2 Evo with Mavic 521s or Hope Tech Enduro

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t see any advantage in the hope rims than the flow ex. They are the same price, heavier (I think) and narrower.
    I’d like something reasonably priced with at least a 25mm internal rim.

davosaurusrex

Not the e13’s, mine are buggered after a year. Rear hub bearing tension collar won’t stay tight and over tensions the bearings whilst riding. MBR mentioned this in a long termer review couple of months back, wouldn’t mind so much but their original 10 out of 10 review is part of the reason I bought them!

Been running the LB 35mm 29ers on supercomps and pro 2s since April and really happy with them. 1700g and £600 with the build by my LBS. I’m wondering if the schwalbe procore system is the solution to protecting carbon rims from rock and root strikes.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

These have proven to be robust, fast and very very light

https://www.sram.com/news-articles/new-sram-roam-and-rail-mtb-wheels

limkilde
    Free Member

I would go for a custom build with Ryde Trace Enduro rims, Hope or DT-Swiss hubs, sapim d-light spokes
    I have that build with Hope hubs and used it for the Trans Savoie and they are awesome.

Stu661
    Free Member

How is the Mavic rear rim to front rim possible with out a new hub? The front wheel has 24 spokes and the rear only has 20…

kimbers

thatd be why ive seen a few yellow front/ black rear but still with yellow hubs then!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m wondering if the schwalbe procore system is the solution to protecting carbon rims from rock and root strikes.

This, I’d been conjuring up a similar system in my head but Schwalbe the big **** beat me to it with a better/lighter arrangement.

I will be buying into the procore system as soon as it’s available.

Northwind

Stu661 – Member

How is the Mavic rear rim to front rim possible with out a new hub? The front wheel has 24 spokes and the rear only has 20…

Ooh, good question! The guy in the Mavic truck just said they were fitting front rims as an option… I don’t know if the hubs were swapped, didn’t really look. Or maybe they’ve produced some “rears” with the front extrusion but machined and drilled for 20 holes, or something. Haven’t a clue really!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I don’t see any advantage in the hope rims than the flow ex. They are the same price, heavier (I think) and narrower.
    I’d like something reasonably priced with at least a 25mm internal rim.

I’ve been looking round for similar myself. Options seem to be the Pacenti, which takes a slagging in a few places (including here) or the Ryde Race which is a little pricier than the Flow, 29mm and a good weight, don’t know much about them though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘What 'Enduro' Wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.