Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • What 'Enduro' Wheelset?
  • kimbers

I’d like something reasonably priced with at least a 25mm internal rim.

ive got the WTB st i25s and they have been very reliable
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wtb-st-i25-mtb-rim-2014/rp-prod107299

the frequency version is lighter
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wtb-frequency-i-25-rim-2014/rp-prod107298

timbo678
    Free Member

Balls…I’m waiting for my crossmax’s to be delivered in next few weeks, maybe I should back out. Arrrgghhh my heart was set on them till this thread

jairaj

Another vote for Spank Oozy either full wheelset or just the rims. CRC had them on offer a little while back hopefully they are still on offer.

Can’t remember the exact weight but I think they are around 1600g They feel very stiff and accurate in the turns. Taken them down DH trails, rocky Welsh trails and some easyish bike park stuff and they are holding up every well. Spoke tension seems even and wheels are still running true.

kimbers

hmmm count dem spokes… from EWS whistler 24 front and rear they must have some special hubs
    cedric

anne caroline

Northwind

Take the rest of the day off detective Kimbers. Cheeky buggers!

I just put a Frequency i25 on my official beating-up wheelset, to replace a Flow Ex (and a Flow before that) which didn’t like the beating up so much. So far, seems good- I did a fair bit of rough riding on a flat rear at la thuile due to a tubeless pinch/slow puncture and it’s not got so much as a bruise. Early days yet mind but I think it might have the Flows beat. But I don’t think anyone does them in a cheap wheelset- they’re cheaper than Flow Exes to buy but probably hard to build into an equivalent Hoop for the same money

wrecker
    Free Member

ive got the WTB st i25s and they have been very reliable
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wtb-st-i25-mtb-rim-2014/rp-prod107299

the frequency version is lighter
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wtb-frequency-i-25-rim-2014/rp-prod107298

Thanks Kimbers.

Early days yet mind but I think it might have the Flows beat.

Bit heavier than the flows though aren’t they? Still ,can’t complain at £38/rim.
    I might try and pick up a set of hope evo hubs 2nd hand and give the Ryde (trail or enduro) things a go.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve got Ryde Trace Trails on DT 240s and love them. Lighter than flow ex, wider , something different. They have a wider still version too, I think called trace #enduro

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hmmmm. Spank Ooozys in polished finish would give me an excuse to sent my frame back to Orange and have it re-done in the chrome type powdercoat!!

To be fair, the Spanks look pretty good. Will take a closer look and read some more reviews.

jk1980
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at a set of the Mavic wheels but not the Crossmax Enduro. I’m considering the new Crossmax XL which seem to be wider than the Enduros but the same weight:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/mavic-crossmax-xl-wts-first-look-2014.html

robbonzo
    Free Member

I have the WTB i23 frequencys (two sets infact) and I think they tick all the boxes. Might be abit narrow for some who are after super wide rims but at 23mm internal, never had any problems, they are abit cheaper and lighter than the i25s too, got mine built with hope pro2 evos for £300… Hard to beat that if you ask me.
    WTB are bringing out a 25mm wide version of their super light KOM rims. Now that might be something better!

robbonzo
    Free Member

I also like the look of American classic All mountain wheels, and the Syntace W35s, but they are at least £600 a pair. Better at double the price? not sure…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If it was my money I would be going for a superstar tactic wheelset.

The tesla set weighs 1690g in 26 inch format £230

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/tactic-tesla-am-wheelset.htm

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/review-superstar-components-tactic-tesla-evo-14-48393/

However they have a new Switch Ultra LITE model with a new front hub that is almost 84g lighter so should be looking at low 1600g for £200

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/switch-ultralite-tactic-wheelset.htm

In 2013 this guy raced his 180mm Enduro rig on the even lighter sentinel rims including 2 rounds of super enduro and the final EWS round.

http://mtbtrailtales.wordpress.com/2014/01/11/long-term-reviews-bionicon-alva-180-airsuperstar-sentinel-wheelsetshimano-zee-brakes/

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The Superstars attract me but in all honesty, some of the reviews of their wheelsets would scare the life out of me. See my previous comments about constant maintenance / sending them back to be fixed/replaced.

If the rims are good though I could buy some and get them built onto my current hubs… Another option to investigate…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I’m going to be honest their customer service is shite. But my 490 AM wheels have been fantastic.

jairaj

In my opinion Superstar’s customer service is quite good.

After a few years of use the bearings in my wheel hub needed replacing. Superstar where good enough to make how to guide and email it to me.

Also when I badly dinged the rear wheel Superstar rebuilt the wheel with a new rim, spokes and nipples and only charged me for a new rim and no return postage.

I’m not saying they are awesome, just that they are not always bad and can be good.

Also if you are worried about the wheel build just factor £15 into the price of the wheel to get your LBS to double check the spoke tension for you. Still some in at a bargain.

But forget all that and go with the Spank Oozy as I suggested earlier 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Absolutely no chance in hell would I buy a superstar wheelset.
    There are far too many horror stories with regards to failure, followed by accusations that it is due to user error and “Fruits” behaviour on here was revolting (slagging off competitors and shilling his own stuffs).

kimbers

jk1980 – Member
    I’ve been looking at a set of the Mavic wheels but not the Crossmax Enduro. I’m considering the new Crossmax XL which seem to be wider than the Enduros but the same weight:

but still the same disintegrating hubs?

bigjim

I’ve got some KOMs coming tomorrow, apparently they are quite enduro but I’ll be using on them on an xc bike, which will get ridden in the enduro style. It’s all very confusing. Couldn’t be bothered waiting/paying for the extra 2mm wider version coming out

Northwind

I’ve got a set of Superstar wheels in my commuter- the price was right, the build wasn’t, they’re supposed to be “bombproof xc wheels” but they’ve needed constant attention despite never seeing harder use than a canal path.

But I bought them on that basis really and they’re still decent value just for the parts, so I don’t mind much.

Big-M
    Free Member

Hopes and Stans Flow, handbuilt with brass nipples, bombproof enough for trail riding (enduro).

jairaj

“Fruits” behaviour on here was revolting (slagging off competitors and shilling his own stuffs)

Who is Fruit? I’m guessing related to Superstar? I haven’t been an active member on here for very long something I missed?

Tracey

Just got the call that my Hope hubs with Light Bicycle rims are built and ready for collection.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Fruit is the main lemon behind superstar and has a bit of a reputation.

grum
    Free Member

If you want lighter than the Flows but no more expensive then the Arch EX are pretty tough. I know a couple of people who have them who ride pretty fast/hard on techy stuff in Calderdale and the Lakes – no issues so far.

wrecker
    Free Member

Who is Fruit? I’m guessing related to Superstar?

The owner. He used to slate competitors products and promote/post positive reviews about his own thinking he was anonymous, had multiple names; Fruit, tangobravo and others I think.
    http://www.shedfire.com/2009/08/26/asshat-of-the-week/
    He forgot that this site contains lots and lots and lots of very skilled IT types who found out who he was/is (can’t find the original thread)
    Someone (perhaps not a full ticket) even started a hate website about them.
    He disappeared and it all ended in Octopus pron.
    Kaesae was around then too. He was quality.

duir
    Free Member

If you want Mavic Enduro wheels without the price tag and the YELLOW, then get some 821’s built onto your hub of choice for a fraction of the price. I have a set built onto Hope PRO II and they are really tough. As far as I can see they are almost identical to the Crossmax Enduro front wheel but with a few more spokes and much less YELLOW.

Stu661
    Free Member

I have a pair of both Mavic SX’s and ST’s and they have been good wheels, but they do have problems. When I bought them I managed to get the MP3 warranty for just a £1 per wheel set and it’s been very worth while. The warranty gives you two years or 3 complete wheel rebuilds for only the cost of the warranty and postage.

The main problem I have found is the bearing preload adjuster on the rear hubs needs to be watched and the rear axles have a habit of snapping. Both wheel sets are super stiff, the ST’s are let down by only being 19mm wide. As stated above the rear rim on the Crossmax Enduro wheel set is just a ST rear with bladed spokes and for that reason I would entertain them.

I have just ordered a set of the new Crossmax XL’s, the weight is ok and the rim is 23mm so should be better than the SX’s and lighter. I don’t think it matters what wheelset you pick they all have issues, just go for what you like the look of.

I did consider carbon but couldn’t justify the price, I might try the Light Bycycle one the future but after seeing a few sets of ENVE’s bust I’m not going the shell out mega bucks.

nick1962
    Free Member

robbonzo – Member

I also like the look of American classic All mountain wheels, and the Syntace W35s, but they are at least £600 a pair. Better at double the price? not sure…
    Only £400 in my earlier post 🙂
    No problems with my two sets of Superstar wheels.The Switch hubs are easily serviced and easily reconfigured for differing axle sizes and they have a decent range of rims.Mine were well built too and customer service was also good when I had an issue.I think with SS you get a mid range wheelset for a budget price,whether I’d buy one of their expensive wheelets I’m not so sure.Mind you I probably wouldn’t buy an expensive wheelset full stop! The new website is pants though.

nickdavies

DT’s excellent but pricey Spline1 EX1501.. wide and strong!

This… I’ve had a pair for 12 months, and they’ve been fantastic. Light, stiff & nicely sized. I’ve abused them, chucked them down stuff, landed them terribly, piled them into things and they’re still true.

The only reason they’re not on my other bikes is the price tag….. 😥

Northwind

duir – Member

If you want Mavic Enduro wheels without the price tag and the YELLOW,

That’s crazy talk, they’re the 2 main selling points.

sideshow
    Free Member

So what’s stronger, spank oozy or flow ex? (flow ex being heavier…)

Also what are the hubs that come on spanks like? sealed cartridge bearings? easy to get replacements?

wrecker
    Free Member

Oozy are XC narrow though. 21.5mm. Look good otherwise.

duir
    Free Member

That’s crazy talk, they’re the 2 main selling points.

😀

Like it!

Personally I love the yellow but wouldn’t pay several £100 more for what is essentially the same wheel.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

But yellow is proven to make you faster.

How much faster you’ll be when your wheels are away getting serviced/fixed though………

winrya
    Free Member

Hope flow 2 and flow ex are still a great combo. Reliable, ok weight, nice and wide and bomb proof tubeless.

I had flows on my previous 26″ bike, picked up a 650b which had nice wide sun ringle rims but kept burping them tubeless. They had to go and because hope were pushing the enduro wheels, it seems they didn’t build any flow ex wheel sets. After 6 weeks of waiting I picked up some hope enduro wheels as a compromise. And a compromise they were. 2.35 width hans and rock razer felt awful on the 23mm rim, low pressures and adverse cambers meant it felt like the rear tyre was constantly going to roll off the rim.

I put up with them for a few weeks before swapping them for flow ex and I’ve not looked back. Honestly cannot see the market for the enduro rims. Heavier than flows, narrower and don’t set up tubeless anywhere near as easily. Bead popped to rim at a worrying hide them around the corner 50psi whereas the flows pop in place at 20 psi. Love hope products but a made out of house poor spec rim isn’t fitting with the in house made quality they are known for

joefm

I’ve ridden a couple of stages with a completely flat tyre and theyre still true and no dings. Granted I wasnt going full pace but I’m impressed.

Using hope and Flows.

stcolin
    Free Member

Superstar Switch EVO’s and EN321’s. Been faultless for me. I did have XT hubs before the EVO’s which did need regular maintenance. The 321’s are bombproof, few slight flat spots and kinks on the rear, but otherwise they’ll just keep going and going.

VanHalen

i`ve been using 321is for years but would appreciate something wider. i think those wtb i25 rims look mint.

jairaj

Also what are the hubs that come on spanks like? sealed cartridge bearings? easy to get replacements?

I’ve had my Oozy wheel set for 10 months. So far the whole wheel set has been great. Still running straight and spoke tension seems good and the hubs are running nice and smooth. The hubs have sealed cartridge bearings. I spoke to Hotlines before I got them who claimed they have good stock of all parts, spokes, bearings etc.. I don’t know what size bearings they are so don’t know if they are a common size that I can get from any bearing shop.

deviant
    Free Member

The 321’s are bombproof, few slight flat spots and kinks on the rear, but otherwise they’ll just keep going and going.

Very similar, i had the EN521 and they took everything i could throw at them, ended up selling them with the bike they were on and have regretted that since.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘What 'Enduro' Wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.