Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • What 'Enduro' Wheelset?
  • Tracey

Just picked up my Light Bicycle carbon rims which have been laced to my existing Hope Pro2 hubs. Got to say im impressed with the build quality and service from 18 Bikes. Not got round to fitting them but have just weighed them at 1620 grams for the pair

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hi all.
    Updating this as new wheels are definitely needed now.

Still torn between Flows or something on my existing hubs or Crossmax despite the cost and the maintenance thing.

Tracey – any update on how the LB rims are going? If you don’t mind me asking, what kind of rough price were they to buy and get built?

Cheers
    Dave

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Dave,
    If you’re considering anything spendier than Flow EX, take a look at Syntace W35 wheelset that I recommended earlier. 35mm wide, light, strong, CXRay spokes, tubeless with tape and valve.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrecker
    Free Member

take a look at Syntace W35 wheelset

£900 odd? 😯
    They do look really good, but are hugely overpriced.

Tracey

Rims are doing great, they feel a bit stiffer than my Roval Traverse ELs but are also a bit heavier. They were built onto my existing Hope hubs and the rims were new but bought second hand from on here. I also needed new hope adapters to fit my new forks and frame. Overall about £350 but not including the hubs.
    They do make the tyres look bigger than on normal rims and if I was having them built again would have used my black Hope hubs instead of the red ones.
    Had them built for my Stumpjumper but they are now on the Enduro

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

take a look at Syntace W35 wheelset

£900 odd?
    They do look really good, but are hugely overpriced.

about 750 Euros on German sites = approx £600. But yes, still seriously expensive.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers all. I think I’ll be off for the sensible option of Flows on my existing hubs. Not yellow though 🙁

justinbieber

Can definitely recommend the WTB i23 rims. I put them on earlier this year and they’ve been great so far. Not really gone out of true, and I smacked the rear off a rock coming down Grizedale Pike which put a hole in a tubeless tyre. Dented the rim slightly, but it still holds air absolutely fine.

Not sure I’d go for the KOM rims – they seem too light to be durable enough

superfli
    Free Member

I have 2 sets of Tactic rims now, 650b and 26″. The 26″ rear I built myself onto my existing Pro2 hub after wrecking my ArchEX. Its on my HT and seems solid enough, especially considering its only my 3rd wheel build and 1st rear. My 650b on tesla hubs have been excellent.
    At £40 a rim which is 400gm, they are a bargain. Probably sell more if they were to put the price up and someone else sell em….

qtip

I’m looking for the same sort of thing. Had been considering Crossmax XLs, but you lot have put me off. Those DT Swiss EX1501s look interesting. They’re selling them on CRC but the advert is a bit unclear – they’re advertised as 142x12mm, but am I right in thinking that they can be converted to 135 x 12mm without buying anything additional?

deviant
    Free Member

My 650b on tesla hubs have been excellent.
    At £40 a rim which is 400gm, they are a bargain. Probably sell more if they were to put the price up and someone else sell em….

Mine have been great, somebody on here uses this build (or Superstar Sentinel rims?…not much difference, Tactics are wider I think) when he competes in Italian SuperEnduro rounds too, he is full of praise, cant remember his username though?!

If you cant bring yourself to buy Superstar’s own brand use the custom wheel builder on their website instead and put together a set of wheels with DT Swiss hubs….Mavic, Pacenti, DT Swiss, Ryde, Stans ZTR rims etc…and whatever spokes you like, it is very competitively priced and I’ve never had a problem with the builds…if they aren’t to your liking on arrival your LBS can true them up and it’ll still be cheaper than most other combos.

stevede
    Free Member

DaveyBoy – i wouldn’t get the crossmax enduros unless you’re really light on wheels. The front is great but the rear is too narrow and not enough spokes, i’ve snapped several spokes and 3 times i’ve had a spoke come out of the hub end on a heavy landing. I really wanted yellow wheels, they do look good but i’m very disappointed for the money. Coincidentally i trashed a rear crossmax sx rim on the hardtail trying to pull a massive ding out so i’ve just stripped that down to use the hub to build into a front enduro rim, not sure what spokes are being used but i’m hoping more spokes and a wider rim will make for a more reliable rear wheel. If i had my money to spend again i’d probably have gone for either some sx’s or the new crossmax xl’s, the light bicycle rims don’t look a bad bet but i’m still not convinced on carbon for rims just yet.

wrecker
    Free Member

The front enduro rim is an SX rim is it not?

stewartc
    Free Member

Been running 650b DT Swiss XM1501’s for the last 9 months, though not marketed as Enduro they are fine for All Mountain which is the same thing pre-decimalisation.
    Strong, light and with a great pick-up from the ever reliable 240 hubs, they are the only reason I have not gone to carbon as there would be no benefit.

Northwind

wrecker – Member

The front enduro rim is an SX rim is it not?

Basically- front is an SX, rear is an ST. Which let’s be honest, is pretty idiotic so they offer SX both ends for the pros. But they’re still definitely Enduros not SXs…

They’re yellow though and that counts for a lot 😉 My Lightbike-on-DT240 might very well be lighter, wider, stronger, more reliable and easier to get parts for and roughly half the price but they’ll never be yellow.

stevede
    Free Member

😀 true northwind, I know the error of my ways! How are you getting on with the light bicycle rims out of interest?

Sui
    Free Member

looking on DT website, am i right that the XM1501’s are full wheel set only, i.e. no RIM only??

Northwind

stevede – Member

true northwind, I know the error of my ways! How are you getting on with the light bicycle rims out of interest?

They’re pretty boring tbh! Haven’t tested them widely enough to really decide but they’ve done nothing untoward. But I think I need some more crashes and flats and clumsy sharp edge colliding and that to decide. I chickened out of taking them to the alps and used my old dh bike wheels instead.

(I’ll be honest, I was worried about kinlochleven enduro, the grim reaper of bike parts, but they were fine)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

they maybe yellow (if that’s your thing) but they izzz shit!

wouldn’t touch them again, st’s I had, which is effectively the same rear, and it was made of cheese, numerous spokes broke, dings galore, one ding so bad I had to buy a new rim at 90 odd quid

they went up tubeless great mind, but are absolutely useless around rocks at speed

had some sram rail 50 for 7 months now, and although pretty expensive, no dings (not even little ones!), only 1 loose spoke and true as the day I had them (1 bearing did get fubared due to washing a lot having said that)

for me id be looking at the new rovals or Chinese carbons laced onto hope hubs

I think the yellow crossmax look shocking but more importantly they are shocking strength wise

andyrm
    Free Member

Mine have been great, somebody on here uses this build (or Superstar Sentinel rims?…not much difference, Tactics are wider I think) when he competes in Italian SuperEnduro rounds too, he is full of praise, cant remember his username though?!

That’s me. Yup – solid rims, really good kit. I ran the Sentinel (which is the 21mm ID rim) on Teslas – were absolutely bang on. If I was buying again now (well I will be soon in 650B), I reckon I’d go for the Tactic which is 24mm ID so a bit better, for a nicer tyre profile.

But can absolutely vouch for the rims both in terms of taking some serious abuse out on Italian rock, and in terms of going up tubeless & no burping issues.

Even if you found (I didn’t) that the spoke tension was off or wound out a bit, you’re talking very little money to get someone to retension them and you have a bang on set of wheels for under £250, with easy conversion to different axles or XD body etc.

And no I don’t work for or have any connection to SS.

Northwind

Aye, I got a superstar wheel that was terribly built, but it’s not that big a deal- I couldn’t have got the parts for the wheel for the price they charge, so even with a full rebuild it’s still good value. Inconvenient but not stressed

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘What 'Enduro' Wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.