Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What do you do with GPX files?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

There are a few Garmins and iPhones amongst me and my riding mates so we have a whole heap of GPX files from rides weve done

But we dont really know what to do with them

Is there something like mapmyride or bikely where you can post and share them with your mates?
    Or anyone else for that matter

I know I can upload the route to Bikely – but its the speed and time data Im interested in keeping

Anyone?

longboroughnick
    Free Member

Try endomondo.com I have used this a couple of times with files from my phone and it works reasonably well it includes features geared up to comparing with other users etc…

I did try Garmin but the site didn't like the format of my file so may have some cleverness to filter out files not generated from a Garmin device.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I use mine to create maps of the routes 🙂

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Memory map is most useful.

andytherocketeer

I stick mine on http://www.everytrail.com but make sure to manually edit the files first in a text editor to remove the cruft and sanitise them to make sure i never post where my house is.

Everytrail is a bit web-two-oh but does give you the speed and altitude profiles as well as the maps, although like any such site (or local application) it has to derive the speed from the filtered data points so may not be totally precise.

cdaimers

I use GPS Utility (Freeware http://www.gpsu.co.uk/)to convert them to kmz or kml files and then can load them into Google Maps online. You can then share routes etc.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions

But what Im looking for is something like Bikely where you can store your tracks or easily look at other peoples but which also saves the speed data or whatever its called, so you can see how fast theyve been and how long it took them etc

Cheers

simon_g
    Dibbs
    Free Member

You may be able to manually upload them to Garmin Connect, but I'm at work at the moment so I can't try it out.

Edit: According to the Garmin Connect FAQ's, you can manually upload GPX files, then its just a case of setting the security so that they're visible to everyone.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Strava looks interesting

Its mostly what Im looking for with the stats and data but is just a little bit lonely
    Theres noone else registered within 50 miles of Cambridge and noone within 100 whos uploaded a MTB ride!
    There are also none logged for the Peak District for example

It looks good for my mates though

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What do you do with GPX files?’ is closed to new replies.