Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • What do these drivers think will happen in this situation…
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

One of my major frustrations I seem to be involved in lately is the two lane entrance to roundabouts, left lane signed for left turn or straight on and right lane signed for right turn only… And you guessed it.. the right lanes always try to drive straight on and cut up the left lane exits off the roundabout.

An incident early this year caught me out, I’m in the left lane going straight on Mr Angry in a New CRV in the right lane try in vain to go straight on too.. only the council have widened the little triangle narrowing the lane down to one car.. purely because of this nasty behaviour emitting from Mr Angry…

And yes he did bounce over the kerbed triangle into a car entering the roundabout from the other direction… You’ll ask “why did he do that and why didn’t he slow down or why not just go around the roundabout and exit again”? but hey… there are some proper knobs on the roads these days.

richmtb

Its not always Audi drives

I had the same thing happen with a BMW X5.

Met him coming the other way at an obstruction caused by roadworks.

I pulled over as far as I could (far enough to let a normal sized car through) But he just sat there waiting for me to, I don’t know, evaporate or something. I would have had to reverse back about 100m, when all he had to do was put one wheel on the wide low empty pavement, then the queue behind me and the queue behind him could get on with his day.

I wasn’t in a hurry and couldn’t go anywhere anyway. He literally waited 10 minutes, not doing anything, not gesticulating, not shouting just waiting which was probably the oddest thing of all. Before giving up and using a bit of pavement which his massive SUV dealt with admirably it must be said. He put the window down and told me he was reporting me to the police.

I’m still waiting on them coming to the door!

mudshark
    Free Member

Most of us would back down even if we think we’re in the right wouldn’t we? I do so whilst tutting and shaking my head which makes me feel better….

mattsccm
    Free Member

We have a few lanes round here that really are just a bit too narrow for a white line but they are there. It gives me great pleasure, when meeting something coming the other way, to ensure that my wing mirror is just my side of the line. That does entail stuffing the car up the bank a bit, which looks scary to the oncoming wimp. However as its an old Land Rover who cares. My attitude is that that side is their and this is mine. They can get by if they do as I do. If they are not prepared for that, tough. Same applies to big stuff except tractors, milk lorries etc as they are important in a rural area and have more right than me to be there. Tesco delivery vans and big wide black BMWs are not. I can be a grumpy sod at times.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Sadly I know of one local lady who will not reverse for anything. She can’t. Not disable, just bloody useless. Seen her sit with a layby big enough for an artic right by here back bumper and refuse to move when a queue approaches. Its not even here RoW. Eventually she cries and a passing local moves the car for her. I actively look for reasons to report her to the law but things like this don’t count.

Dickyboy

Only 10mins 🙄 – drivers were out and pleading with two motorists to sort themselves out after a 40min impasse under a railway bridge in Reading 18months ago

aP
    Free Member

mattsccm – Member
    Sadly I know of one local lady who will not reverse for anything. She can’t.

I bet she manages to reverse out of the car parking space at Waitrose.

whitestone
    Free Member

@mattscm – I thought that being able to reverse a car was part of the driving test? From memory (my driving test was over 40 years ago) there’s at least two manoeuvres that require you to be able to reverse the vehicle. If she can’t do that then she falls below the standard expected of a licensed driver.

finbar
    Free Member

I think Range Rover drivers are in the process of replacing Audi drivers, in the same way Audi replaced BMW as the archetype of nobbish road behaviour.

aracer
    Free Member

Depends how much time you have and how rude and entitled the other driver is being. The last time I had this situation the answers were plenty and very. I got out and offered to reverse their car for them if they couldn’t manage it – they did eventually remember how to.

kerley
    Free Member

I think Range Rover drivers are in the process of replacing Audi drivers, in the same way Audi replaced BMW as the archetype of nobbish road behaviour

It will go on forever. The complete lack of self awareness of the nob means that they don’t realise they are the very nobs giving the brand the bad name they want to move away from.

svensvenson

Ahh memories of being in someone else’s car in Scotland on a tiny lane and coming head to head with a landrover and trailer. My “friend” was being a n@b and refusing to back up, yelling etc. so the farmer opposite just calming takes out the makings and begins to roll a smoke… Everyone in the car just started laughing at the driver. Almost made me wish I smoked just so I could emulate such a move.

Cougar

Most of us would back down even if we think we’re in the right wouldn’t we? I do so whilst tutting and shaking my head which makes me feel better….

I dunno about that. I’m genetically predisposed to pushing back against bullies and have an underactive self-preservation gland. It’s going to get me into trouble one day.

We joke about driver stereotypes like X5 drivers, but I think there’s a definite correlation between vehicle size and driver attitude. I’ve noticed it when driving courtesy cars, I get a lot more folk trying to barge me off the road when I’m in a Micra or an i20 or something than I ever did in a Mondeo.

amedias
    Free Member

the road I live on is one of ‘those’ roads, cars parked down both sides leaving a single width lane up the middle.

It’s also a cut-through between two bigger roads, so is used as a short cut a lot, especially since there is a school at the top of the road and at the bottom there is a school to the right about 500 yards, and another one to the left about 800 yards so you can imagine how frequently we get this.

The worst ones are those who urn into one end of the road, when there’s traffic* already more than half way along, it’s just bonkers, and often when they meet in the middle, someone else will have followed both of them in so now multiple cars are going to have to reverse (back out onto a bigger road) no matter who caves in.

*even more annoying when they do it to me on the bike, and rather than wait 7 seconds for me to get through they just assume because I’m on a bike they can squeeze past, I normally stay slap bang in the middle to force them to stop and then take great delight in making a big song and dance of wobbling my way past while clumsily knocking their wing mirror and scraping along their door 😈

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘What do these drivers think will happen in this situation…’ is closed to new replies.