Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • What Bike GPS?
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

When did your iPhone last perform that badly?

I stopped using it for anything beyond texts, calls and emails over a year ago because it became ****, but i take your point. That said, i find it intuitive to use and the map problem is solved simply by turning it off and on again.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Mini thread hijack but I was wonder peoples opinion of the new etrex series? Would it be stupid to by an old HCX? The old vista / legend look like they have all the features I want including SD card slot and AA batteries but of the new ones only the etrex 10 has AA but no SD card slot. The old legend and vista don’t seemed to have dropped in price so are they going to keep selling them?

Andy-W
    Free Member

Not cheap i know but I cant fault my Edge 800 with full uk os mapping,,
    had a few niggles with it at first but as for getting from A to B its been great
    I have used it on road routes of up to 100 miles,off road in the peaks up to 40 miles and used it for the first time walking in the Peaks over the kinder plateau at the weekend

its crashed a couple of times mid ride but so far its started back up and got me to where i am going

and you can use it as a sat nav when driving if you want !!

CraigW
    Free Member

Mini thread hijack but I was wonder peoples opinion of the new etrex series? Would it be stupid to by an old HCX? The old vista / legend look like they have all the features I want including SD card slot and AA batteries but of the new ones only the etrex 10 has AA but no SD card slot. The old legend and vista don’t seemed to have dropped in price so are they going to keep selling them?

From the specifications, the new etrex 10/20/30 look excellent. Though they’re not released yet, so there isn’t any full details or reviews. They will all use AA batteries.
    Though yes, no SD card slot on the etrex 10, and no way of loading extra maps (the included basemap is probably useless).
    The 20 has loads of memory plus the card slot, so will take extra maps (including Ordnance Survey).

But the Legend HCx is still rather good, especially with free OpenStreetMap mapping. And currently available for about £125. I don’t know if it will be discontinued any time soon, though it might get a bit cheaper.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

All this AA battery talk – the Satmap can use AAs as well – it comes with a cradle for 3 AA batteries.

I think the etrex types will be a big downgrade in features.

The satmap with 1:25k custom map for my immediate riding area (swinley/surrey hills/tunnel hill) is one of the best ‘toys’ I have bought for the bike.

I can follow routes that orientate to the direction I am cycling (like the 2D mode on a car satnav) and with it zoomed to 1:3k res I can ride full speed as it guides me round the route.

The screen is large enough that I can plan new routes on it (from books or on the fly).

The buttons are nice and large so I can operate them whilst riding with muddy fingers, so no touch screen to fight with as the bike bumps around under me.

It is robust and water resistant.

It is British.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘What Bike GPS?’ is closed to new replies.