Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What 28mm road tyre?
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Looking for tyres for my winter road bike. Need to have decent grip in the wet and good puncture protection. Not bothered about weight as it’s a heavy training bike anyway.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve been using GP4 Seasons for touring and commuting. With a few thousand miles now done, I’ve had two punctures.

If you want the ultimate in puncture protection, then the Marathon Plus is still the daddy.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

what druid said

Blackhound

I was looking in lbs recently and saw the Conti tyres, which I have been using, at about £35. Found some Spesh Roubaix Pro for about £23 less club discount.

Seem fine so far.

Ifrider
    Free Member

Conti 4 Seasons or Gators for me… Never had a puncture with Gatorskins 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I used to run 28mm GP4Seasons and rate them.

nowadays I run 25mm Mich Krylion carbons which are very good, and cheap. Faster than the 28s and not had a puncture on them yet.

blades2000
    Free Member

I use schwable marathon guard plus, roll well and good grip, no punctures yet.

kennyp
    Free Member

It was the GP 4 Seasons I’d been thinking about. Good to see my thoughts confirmed. Are they easy to fit (I seem to have a girl’s hands and am hopeless at getting tyres on and off, though I’ve just bought a VAR tyre lever so hopefully that might help).

I did think about Schwalbe Durano Plus, but I gather they are a bugger to get on and off.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve managed the 4 Seasons with one small plastic tyre lever. We have some Duranos in the shop at the moment but I’ve not yet tried to fit or remove one, so can’t comment.

kennyp
    Free Member

Might pop in to the shop tomorrow or Sunday for some 4 Seasons.

blades2000
    Free Member

Yes Kennyp they are very difficult to fit, I did manage with plastic tyre levers though and a lot of swearing 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Closed on Sundays…..

kennyp
    Free Member

Blades……one of the reasons I always try and buy from an LBS is that I know I can go back the next day with tyre and wheel and sheepishly say “Can you put this on for me please”. 🙂

Druidh……that’s a good excuse for me to take a break from the curtain pole putting up that I’m supposedly meant to be doing tomorrow!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I hate to say this, but you shouldn’t need levers to fit anything, unless it’s mentally tight

Bazz

Cheap, hard wearing, bombproof, one of the best tyres i have ever used

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-randonneur-city-tyre/

Ifrider
    Free Member

reggiegasket – I take it you’ve never had the “pleasure” of fitting Vittorias then ??? 🙂 I’ve never fitted such a tight tyre and I’m rock ‘ard 😀

sockpuppet

gatorskins

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for GP4seasons, touch wood not punctured them yet

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What 28mm road tyre?’ is closed to new replies.