• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • West Highland Terrier – thoughts and experiences?
  • psychle
    Free Member

We've been thinking about getting a wee mutt for a while. Has to be a small breed as we live in a one bedroom flat in London. I like chihuahua's (no really, I do, had one as a kid and they're fantastic little fellas 🙂 ) but my wife has fallen in love with Westie's (they are a cute dog it has to be said). But I don't know much about them, so thought I'd ask on here ('cause dog questions should obviously be posted on MTB forums, right? 😆 )

So what are they like? Do they shed badly? Do they smell (some dogs do inherently, no matter how much you wash them)? Do they have any major genetic issues? Are they a good flat dog (he'll be getting plenty of exercise and will most likely come to work with me at times)? Are they a snappy type of terrier? etc etc…

Cheers for your thoughts, appreciated as always 8)

Wee
    Free Member

We have a westie, Tara, she's now 15 and still acts like a puppy sometimes. We got Tara when she was 7 weeks old and we already had a black labrador, Matt, who was only 10 weeks old. I think Tara thought she was a lab as she's always been very energetic and up for anything always copying the lab. Where I live it's westie central and she's definitely the most liveliest westie in the neighborhood.

Out of the two of them Matt cast (shed) the most, you would find black hairs everywhere, where as the westie being a long haired dog she casts but not as much as the lab did. She needs cut about two/three times a year. She loves walks as all dogs do, she easily kept up with the lab on all our walks. She's more into chasing squirrels, rabbits, birds, mice, anything that moves!

She's a solid little dog, we always had problems with Matt, whilst Tara has only really suffered from grass mites and that can be treated with Fontline every summer. Some westies have problems with their skin, so we use sensitive shampoo on her but she's never suffered from dry skin she just has lots of freckles and moles over her skin. She's doesn't smell, but unlike the lab who would clean himself daily she has not interest in that so a bath after each walk was always the answer. As being a white dog the dirt easily shows up.

Where she is completely different from the lab is her temperament. The lab wanted everyone to love him and would happily cuddle up to anyone that would give him attention. The westie on the other hand is obsessed with my dad. Only wants to be with him and not interested in anyone else. She follows him about the house constantly. And when he leaves she waits at the door until he comes back and is not interested in anything else, she can wait there for hours.

We were told this before we got her that this would happen that she would pick one person and attach herself to. And she did. The funny thing was she was bought for my mum and the lab for my dad. So my mum has always loved Tara from afar as Tara has only eyes for my dad.

Joe

Don't get a dog in a one bedroom flat in London.

vondally
    Free Member

Had one as when i was growing up, fierce temper, attacked and harmed several burglars over the decade, needed lots of exercise they are a working dog, totally devoted to my mum but good with us, coat wise went to be groomed…in the 70s basically shaved usually by the guy who cut our hair…………..so coat wise really easy, seem to remember the sensitive skin. Great little dogs but need exercise and a firm hand to keep them in check.

Miggs
    Free Member

What Joe said – Cats in the City – Dogs in the Villages!

psychle
    Free Member

Don't see why a small hound wouldn't be suited to a flat… it'll get walked plenty and I can bring him/her along to work with me, so no problems I wouldn't have thought 🙄

kimbers

my parents have had 3 since i was a baby
    great dogs and as good as any in a small flat as long as gets lots of walks
    dont shed much but do need a bit of care with their skin
    bithes easier to handle than dogs ime

derek_starship
    Free Member

Westies are very loving and loyal with a good if a tad vibrant personality. Prone to some nasty skin conditions though that may require prolonged steroid treatment.

psychle
    Free Member

are the skin conditions hereditary? Or just a random thing that you can't really predict from the parents?

Kimbers. what's a bithe by the way?

Pigface
    Free Member

A friend had one at a farm in mid Wales, got called tripe hound because he was always filthy and the colour of tripe. Awesome thing fought and shagged his entire life. Would ride on the tank of the farm bike.

easygirl

we had 2, one was fantastic,lived to 11years but very snappy with other dogs, the second one had to be destroyed at 2yrs because it bit a child quite badly.
    never had a problem with any other breed of dogs we have had, so dont think its the way we train/ handle them.
    they are a great litle dog, but i think what has been said above is very true…loyal, need lots of exercise, can be snappy, can get genetic skin problems, which is a pain to get rid of, one of ours had it badly the other didnt have any signs at all

jahwomble
    Free Member

more slipper like a arsey slipper than a dog

jahwomble
    Free Member

more like an arsey slipper than a dog I mean

kimbers

i meant bitches

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Snappy and yappy.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Mr Toast's parents had three Westies – Molly, the mother, and after a few years they got her to get jiggy with another Westie, and produced Annie and Rupert.

On the disposition side, all have been lovely dogs, fantastic temperament, very obedient and very sweet. Molly was a bit more aloof than the others, liked to pootle around the garden by herself. Rupert occasionally gets a bit snappy around male dogs if they start sniffing his sister, but normally backs off fairly quickly as he's a coward. Annie is an adorable teddy, will walk in front of your feet and quietly roll onto her back for fuss, and is very docile. Although she can be positively murderous towards small rodents, which is always really bizarre to witness.

On the health side, it's been a bit more complicated. Molly sadly died at the age of 11 due to a rare, very aggressive cancer. Annie has also had (non-hereditary) breast cancer, but seems to be fine now, touch wood. Both Rupert and Annie have had quite bad skin conditions that kicked in when they were about 6, shortly after their mother's death. Annie's cleared up, but Rupert's still lingers and needs medication and special shampoo.

On the grooming side, they don't shed as much as a Jack Russell! I was actually surprised how little Westies shed. Think like any long haired dog they whiff a bit if they get wet and aren't washed/dried properly. They need trimming every so often, otherwise the heat can be uncomfortable for them (and they look untidy!).

That said, they're not actually that small, and I think they still need plenty of exercise and company. Toast's parents' dogs have a huge garden to run around with, are normally never without human company for more than a couple of hours, get taken on daily walks through the forest, and also have each other for company.

The only other Westie I know of is Toby, who belonged to a friend's parents. He was a little shit, always yapping, jumping up people and trying to hump stuff. However, he spent a lot of time alone as they were out at work, and he had to stay outside in a kennel during that time. They actually had to give him away because the neighbours complained about his incessant barking – he got given to a retired couple, and apparently calmed down a lot as he always had company.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

We have 2..

Eric- 3years, and Esme 5 months- fantastic dogs, and not snappy and yappy. At all.

Fiesty? Yes, but loving and loyal.

Ours love long walks in The Lakes, Eric will happily do an all dayer, Esme, being youg, gets carried a lot..

Would I reccomend them??

Definatly..

Eric:

and Esme:

Great dogs.. 😀

psychle
    Free Member

cheers for all the advice everyone, appreciated. they don't sound to bad, just a normal terrier really 😆 he/she will get plenty of exercise and hopefully won't be left at home alone too much (I can bring a dog to work, so that'll be the plan)…

Anyone know of any breeders? I have this vision of heading up to the Scottish Highlands and picking our puppy up from a lovely farm or somesuch, all very whimsical but it'd be nice if it worked out that way 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Have a look on Epupz .. we got both of ours from here- not from the same breeder tho..

fbk
    Free Member

My god – so much advise – some good, some crap (as to be expected on here 😉 )

ime, they're certainly loyal little dogs and good guard dogs but they genuinely can be snappy little buggers; down right aggressive in some cases. A lot of this comes down to training/husbandry, some is down to breeding – definitely worth taking advice re breeders…stay well away from the "farms" so infamous in SW Wales but rife in other areas too.

Main health problems are Skin, Skin, Skin and Skin. They're by far the most prone breed to various allergic skin diseases, most requiring life long medication to keep the dog comfortable. I'd ALWAYS recommend getting good (life long) insurance if you get one. There are good treatment alternatives to steroids if you're unlucky (none of the potentially nasty side effects) but they are silly expensive.

As for having one in a one bedroom flat – as long as they're not left alone for too long at a time and they get regular exercise I don't see a problem. Just go see your local vet after purchasing – many will do cut price post-purchase health checks and give you loads of good advice, especially if you start their vaccinations at the same time.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘West Highland Terrier – thoughts and experiences?’ is closed to new replies.