Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Went to AE forest yesterday
  • Johnboy373
    Free Member

Bloody sole destroying!! Some good bit but the constant climbing was really painful.

Whats everyone elses opinion of the red route?

Was it just us?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Only done it once and that was on an SX trail with huge sticky tyres and not enough seat post. Most of the ride was spent cursing, I should have brought my hardtail, but the final descent was fun. In hindsight I would have just pushed and sessioned the end.

grumm
    Free Member

When I went I didn't have much time so I just sessioned the Shredder DH track and the final descent on the red, which I thought was great fun.

forge197
    Free Member

It's not the easiest Stane, the more I ride it the better it gets but it is quite demanding on fitness because of the climbs, I like it for a bit of variety from the other trails.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The length is only half the story with Ae it's tough and demanding, the surface has deteriorated quite a lot making it harder to ride over the last few years but they are sorting that out.

As for constant climbing there are quite a lot of descents, nowhere near as peddaly as Dalbettie

forge197
    Free Member

Dalbeattie is pedaly but no killer climbs more undulating and you can mix and match trails if you want do a short ride or a longer ride.

At Ae once you are out you are commited there is no short cut in the most part and it's tough, the surface is marmite I love it as it's seems more natural and less manicured which I like.

Think they say that Ae rewards fitness 😉

rOcKeTdOg

i'm glad you lot say it's tough, i thought it was just me being a wimp/unfitporker

Xan
    Free Member

I've never found Ae too bad. Being my first stane I have always had a soft spot for it, although the last few times I have done it the trail is looking very washed out in places. The trail faries are doing their best to sort this. Dont find it too hard, climbs can be a bit of a killer but I find I can still do it non stop in sub 1hr 50. I think the quickest time round is c. 1hr 20, so I must try harder lol. Omega man makes the climb worth while.

I find that Innerleithan has harder climbs, and Kirroughtree red/black and Dalbeatie take more work (obvious I suppose due to the length of both)

Diane
    Free Member

I did it recently on my hardtail and was fine but i hear it can be energy sapping if very wet.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

Thanks for responses. The weather was pretty wet rain and first then drizzle and mist all day, we had four newbie bikers with us so alot of stops added to the time considerably.

It didnt help that we took a wrong turn and headed 3 miles straight up a killer climb fire road!

by the time the 3 remaining guys got to Omega man we were so shattered and pushed for time(bike hire and me having to get home and ready for work) that we just rode down path next to trail!

There was some good bits. But I felt the trail condition was pretty poor overall.

grumm
    Free Member

we were so shattered and pushed for time(bike hire and me having to get home and ready for work) that we just rode down path next to trail!

So you didn't actually ride the best bit – no wonder you thought it was rubbish!

PaulB
    Free Member

Hi,

I rode it last November for the first time, it was on a Monday afternoon, the week everything flooded. I thought it was good, a bit out there on my own in the mist at times. It was very wet and I thought it was holding up very well. A good mix. If you think that it is hard, then perhaps you need to think about doing some time on natural trails. I would certainly visit it again and highly recommend it, not tough but good XC terrain.
    Coming from the Peak may sway my views by the way.

Paul.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I did it last year on a clear blue day with a bunch of mates and it was dusty heaven. I was there yesterday too and it was hellish. riding through cloud most of the time and hardly saw a soul all day! Mind you it was like that the last time too, we were the only people in the car park then too.
    I like the boardwalk bit at the top and the edge is good fun too.

convert

It was my first Stane back on 2005 so I also have a soft spot for it. I rode it again in April last year and could hardly tell it was the same place. Red had been extended a lot I think and didn't seem to flow as well as I had remembered it. The trail condition was very very average in parts. I'm not sure I want my trail centres silk smooth but there is not a lot of point in massive berms if they have gert big holes in them.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

I've had time to reflect and although I still think it was hell on earth yesterday I m going to go back I hate not finishing something. But yesterday be time we go to Omega man we were ruined! I think the wind and rain had took their toll. Also it was 4.40 and bikes had to be back for 5pm we had no idea how close we were to trailhead.

At least with innerleithen and glentress all the graft is done at the start.

Diane
    Free Member

It is very rough mostly but that's it's character – think you just have to embrace the fact that it is different.

Trekster

Hey Di, you and I will have to take johnboy round with us sometime.
    What days you off next week? I will be off till Thurs.
    Think I might have something on(cycling prof ) mind you, as usual!!!

You local johnboy?

stugus
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it, but there was one section up the top where it was really rough. I was on a ht and felt pretty beaten up just after that point.

I think I prefered Mabie generally but would certainly go back to Ae.

Diane
    Free Member

Off Mon/Tues Trekster 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Personally I don't find the climbing that bad at all, but that bit at the top, Bran Burn Bash, and also the newish bits around Nil Desperandum really beat me up and are just too rocky for my liking.

I think Ae is brilliant if you like to get two wheels off the ground, and also there is quite a lot of descending too, but these are a bit too much for me too, although I love the short descent after The Edge. I always keep two wheels on the ground down Omega Man, so I guess I don't ride Ae that often. That isn't a criticism, I can see how for some people it is excellent, and there are parts that I really enjoy. I guess for my type of riding, you don't get much bang for your buck, and I tend to stick with Mabie, Dalbeattie and Kirroughtree.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

hi trekster , no Im in glasgow. I guess I'm not to confident on bouldery trails since going down on my head on the black trail at GT lol. It was one amight grind of a day(AE), I dont think the weather helped. I did like the tight bits between trees and the duckboard bit up top. I'll try again in the summer.

Trekster

Diane – Member
    Off Mon/Tues Trekster

Will check me diary 😮

Johnboy373 – Member
    hi trekster , no Im in glasgow. I guess I'm not to confident on bouldery trails since going down on my head on the black trail at GT lol. It was one amight grind of a day(AE), I dont think the weather helped. I did like the tight bits between trees and the duckboard bit up top. I'll try again in the summer.

Give me a shout, away most of June tho.
    Live 7mls from Ae, quite often bike out, do the trail, coffee with Mary & Steve and home is a good day out for me 😆

forge197
    Free Member

Thought I'd head to Ae for my after work ride today, done a lot of riding in March and was rewarded with hills that didn't feel so long just a fantastic ride in the sun, the only bit that felt draggy was the fireroad up to the beginning of the 1st part of Omega Man, but the rest was running nice with a few puddles.

Felt like my best ride at Ae yet on the red and I love the natural feel, roughness of the trails coupled with remoteness of certain parts, and didn't need lights today 🙂 Awesome ride

Mobile Phone picture of the view on granny green luv

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I've been twice, in the dry and in the wet and it was mind numbingly awful both times. the first third is so hopeful, and you just wait for this "mindblowing last descent" to find the whole rest of the trail is uphill or flat (physics defyingly so), not an ounce of fun and the final descent is a load of blown out jumps and crap singletrack.

Awful bit of trail building.

The DH is good, though.

forge197
    Free Member

It's certainly a love it or hate it trail. 🙂

I like training there because of the climbs, it's certainly helping my fitness coming along.

radoggair
    Free Member

i actually quite like Ae. Definately 1 to be done at speed. If i go with mates i'll take the 5 spot which is fantastic but slow. If i go by myself i'll take the HT and ride it fast, circa 3 hours for 2 laps. The climbs dont really bother me, apart from 1 which is tough the rest are quite flowing and can keep up a good pace.
    If i was round that area i'd prefer to chuck in 3 laps of Mabie instead or 2 or 3 of Dalbeattie which are faster trails and good for pace building and training

Diane
    Free Member

😯

forge197
    Free Member

😯 + 1

3 Laps of Dalbeattie in one go that's where I need to get to for the Kielder 100!!

Trekster

forge
    Big lap of Ae inc the Southern Upland Way and a pub stop in Moffat is what we need, just ask scotabroad who is also going.
    Or..cycle out from town, head up to the Lowters and back again…… 👿
    We have also decided if it is ping down on the Fri eve we will not be going 🙄

defaultslipper
    Free Member

2 laps of ae in 3 hours! that is a decent speed to keep up over nearly 50km! i managed one loop in 1hour 30 last weekend but a second loop would have been no fun to ride as was truly knackered.
    some of you down at ae this weekend then? don't want to bad luck the weather but the forecasts are looking good for anywhere round dumfries.

Trekster

Are you going to be there default?
    Off this weekend and my PA has`nt mentioned whether she has planned anything for us yet

jammer
    Free Member

It's my least favourite trail by a country mile.

It has a lot of climbing for what feels like very little reward and no flow.

It does feel a bit more natural than some of the stanes in places but the huge aggregate they've used on parts of the trail is far from natural.

forge197
    Free Member

Trekster when is that epic planned?

radoggair
    Free Member

2 laps of ae in 3 hours! that is a decent speed to keep up over nearly 50km! i managed one loop in 1hour 30 last weekend but a second loop would have been no fun to ride as was truly knackered.

Yeah, but its a fact that i'm faster and fitter than you.

3 Laps of Dalbeattie in one go that's where I need to get to for the Kielder 100!!

And Kielder isn't that far away really. Weather should be turning soon and i'm on hols from the 16th for 10 days or so, so i'll be trying to get in some big rides from then. After that, maybe a kielder training group??

kennyp
    Free Member

Some good bit but the constant climbing was really painful

Surely though any trail that starts and ends at the same place must have an equal amount of climbing and descending?

forge197
    Free Member

radoggair – once I have my mileage up a little I'll head back to Kielder for some riding, I am well behind where I want to be but that's how it goes 🙂

I'd be up for Kielder training group ride, but already you do sound on another level of fitness though, be good to ride with you to see the speed and see if I can keep up at all but at the moment I suspect not 🙂

radoggair
    Free Member

forge197, where do you stay??

forge197
    Free Member

radoggair – ygm

Trekster

but already you do sound on another level of fitness though, be good to ride with you to see the speed and see if I can keep up at all but at the moment I suspect not

Another planet more like 🙄

forge197 – Member
    Trekster when is that epic planned?

Any time between now and mid June before I go on holiday. Will have been off the bike 4/5wks by the time I return. There are other options, that is just one of many that could be done from home without having to resort to using cars.

Now that the snow has receded from the Lowthers a trip up to Sanquhar via train could be considered. Can do 50ml/60ml trip from there back to Dfs.

radoggair, we both live in Dumfries.

radoggair
    Free Member

forge – ygm 2

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Went to AE forest yesterday’ is closed to new replies.