Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Weighted heel drops, how do you do them?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Doing these as part of recovery for tendinitis. Gradually increasing the weight in a backpack and have got to about 30kg. Problem is this is starting to give me a sore back. Tried it with the pack on my chest which is a little better than on my back but still not great. I’d use weights and a squat rack but need my arms for balance. I know there’s a special gym contraption for this but I need to be able to do this at home.

Any alternatives other than MTFU?

iDave
    Free Member

Why the need for extra weight at all? Are you still injured?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Using weights is part of the Alfredson protocol for recovery from achilles tendinitis. SBZ got me researching it. Had been doing non-weighted for ages and not got much improvement so trying something different.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Alfredson protocol says to use weights. I’d reduce the weight and up the repetitions. Maybe try going further down during the lower or moving your toes more towards the edge of the step to increase leverage or doing them slower.

Blobby – you got some pics of your technique?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Dumbbell in one or both hands. And/or one leg at a time.

Or donkey press (if you have a willing ‘rider’ of the right weight).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks SBZ, I’ll give that a try.

5thElefant, already doing one leg at a time, and been using the dumbbells too, but at around 15kg they get a bit heavy for my puny grip.

Donkey press… is that safe to google at work? 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Donkey press… is that safe to google at work?

Youtube should be safe.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

mrblobby – out of interest which part of your achilles is painful, upper, middle or lower section?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Roughly about 10cm from the base of the heel. Quite localised, not much pain higher up or lower down. It’s not nearly as painful as it use to be, I can actually give it a squeeze now. And the right leg is pretty sorted, it’s just the left leg now.

Been doing the alfredson thing for about a month now, as well as stretching and ice/heat. Read the paper on it and was very encouraged.

Edit: Have been getting some increased pain under the foot in the mornings since I’ve been doing it, not had that for a while.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Good stuff. It’s normally a 12 week protocol so keep going and see how you get on. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks SBZ, may well take you up on that offer!

iDave
    Free Member

Sometimes SbZ is OK…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

MrBlobby, sounds logical enough. Wouldnt worry about that unless it gets too sore.

surfer
    Free Member

I’m no expert but on occasion have suffered with sore and swollen achilles which has forced me to stop running.
    The above exercises helped a lot however although my injury may not have been as severe as yours I am suprised that you are able to complete them on one leg with 30kg on your back!
    I would have thought that if you can do that without discomfort (?) then surely thats sufficeint to get back to running/exercise?

Stuey01
    Free Member

[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0025U2WPO/ref=asc_df_B0025U2WPO5680027/?tag=googlecouk06-21&creative=22134&creativeASIN=B0025U2WPO&linkCode=asn]Amazon link[/url]

mrblobby
    Free Member

Surfer, it was quite bad! It’s getting there but I suspect it’ll take some time. I still get quite a bit of pain when walking so will stick with the protocol a while longer before running again.

Stuey, no idea what that is, as a guess I’d say some type of SM gear, but shall look into it.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Have you had a good deep massage on your calf muscles?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Never had that. What would that do? Physio seemed to concentrate on cross frictional massage of the tendons.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Weighted heel drops, how do you do them?’ is closed to new replies.