Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Weight and Weighing
  • Adders69
    Free Member

Went to the doctors today, and hopped on the scales upon the appropriate instruction … to be told that I weighed 2½Kg LESS than my own scales had measured this very morning!

On the one hand … cooool; but on the other my scales are seriously rubbish (maybe the doctors are too), so ….

… can anybody recommend some accurate bathroom scales to me please? Ta!

organic355
    Free Member

had you eaten, drunk anything or been to the loo after weighing yourself in the morning?

Kevevs
    Free Member

doesn’t your weight fluctuate by up to 5 lbs or something during the day?

Adders69
    Free Member

Organic355 : Nope – only 20 minutes between the two weighings. nothing in or out, as it were …

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got the weightwatchers electronic ones, about £15 in sainsbury’s, always read the same as any others I use.

Were you wearing shoes etc at home?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Floor surface and calibration.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes bathroom scales are not that accurate.

GrahamS

Yep, docs use the old fashioned looking slidey-metal-bar scales for a reason!

Our bathroom scales are fancy electronic ones that tell you your body fat, bmi, muscle mass etc

All well and good, but I can drop half a stone just by weighing myself again!
    We’ve resorted to weighing ourselves multiple times and taking an average.

catfood
    Free Member

Ive got a set of those fancy ones and they weigh me half a stone heavier than a set at my mates house, he reckons theirs read exactly the same as the ones at the hospital, so maybe the fancy ones arent always that accurate, or so I hope.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s a vanity result. Much like the way in which women’s clothing sizes have been tinkered with in order that Lucy from HR can con herself into thinking she’s a 10, when she looks like a galleon in full sail.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had some scales where the strain gauge was actuated by a set of metal linkages that just moved against each other roughly, no bearings or anything. So it was jerky enough on a tiny scale to affect the readings significantly. If I lowered my weight on carefully it ended up with a lower reading by 2-3kg than if I stood on it heavily straight away.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

apologies for hi-jacking the thread a little, but i too am in the market for new scales, am looking at electronic ones that will measure fat/muscle etc, and had noticed that the variance issue comes up a lot on reviews.

so are old fashioned needle type ones a better bet?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Weight and Weighing’ is closed to new replies.