Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)
  • Wearing A Tie At Work.
  • cloud
    Free Member

Probably the most first world of first world problems although more of an irritation than a problem. I’ve been offered a job that an ‘Introduction Agent’ suggested I try for and there is a dress code, which is fine. Most offices do but the boss at this one insists that men wear ties.
    I know that it’s discriminatory as he doesn’t insist that woman have to wear skirts as evidenced by them all wearing trousers.
    Being new to the job if I accept it means I’ll have to go and buy some rather than stand my ground and refuse but I REALLY detest the things.
    My partner says I should shut up moaning and get on with it but it’s already doing my head in.
    Does anybody else here HAVE to or even chooses to wear one?

sbob
    Free Member

I know that it’s discriminatory

Get over yourself and be grateful you have a job.

Houns

I choose to wear them, in fact I like them a lot and have a decent selection.

The people on here who complain about wearing suits and ties sound like little schoolboys getting ready for their first day of school.

mattk
    Free Member

Jessops went to court over the same issue some years ago when a male member of staff refused to wear a tie and was sent home, they lost and dropped ties from the uniform for men.

It is unfair, but is it a big deal?

chewkw
    Free Member

Just wear a black tie everyday for every occasion. Simple.

Better still wear similar shirts etc everyday but make sure you buy few of them to last you a week(s).

Don’t worry about what people say just wear the same “uniform”.

I would wear Pulp Fiction style “uniform”. 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

I know that it’s discriminatory as he doesn’t insist that woman have to wear skirts as evidenced by them all wearing trousers.

No it’s not.

It’s discriminatory because he doesn’t insist the women wear ties.

What have skirts and trousers got to do with anything ?

My partner says I should shut up moaning and get on with it

Your partner is correct.

It’s pretty simple. If you don’t want the job as it’s described. Then don’t accept the job.

RobHilton
    Free Member

These days I normally choose to as it’s part of my “uniform” that gets me in work mode; when home I shed it and become myself again 🙂

Was once told years ago I had to wear a tie on a day I was wearing a short-sleeved shirt (not a good combination in my eyes); it doesn’t matter what shirt you’re wearing you have to wear a tie – I was told. Turned up the next day in Hawaiian shirt with tie. It didn’t go down well.

Drac

Don’t mind wearing them special occasions but I’d to have to wear a suit and tie for work.

Sadly the tie part may be soon inevitable.

soobalias
    Free Member

doesnt sound like its the job for you really

i choose to wear a suit/tie

soobalias
    Free Member

whoa whoa whoa

the only time a short sleeve shirt goes with a tie is fancy dress.

bruk

Tell him they are classed as fomites and could be detrimental to the health of his staff.

Effing hate ties.

Houns

Or if you are a used car salesman or a bus driver

hot_fiat

Go to work in a dress?

The only place I ever wore a tie to while consulting was Lloyds of London, simply because the bouncers won’t let you onto the treading floors without one.

TubsRacing
    Free Member

Ties are great, they mean you don’t have to remember to trim the top of your chest hair (neck mirkin?).

jordie
    Free Member

Are comedy one’s banned..??

Northwind

I used to wear one, tbh I was always happy with the uniformy dress code, meant not having to apply any thought at all to it myself. Now I only wear one when there’s something important happening, same for most of my office, when the suits and ties come out shit is about to get real.

I think discrimination in dress codes is just a universal thing- the woman I work most closely with turns up in jeans most days, if I wore jeans to work I’d get pelters. This is the terrible hardship of being a man in a woman’s world.

(it’s actually a 3-tier dress code, hot women are allowed to dress more casually than fat or ugly ones..Don’t act offended, you know it’s true.)

chewkw
    Free Member

Like this …

PMK2060

Casual dress in our office unless we have customers on site. Our md has started to wear a shirt and tie recently…with denim jeans 🙂

footflaps

Not sure anyone wears a tie where I work, possible a sales guy if he has a customer in, but not guaranteed.

project
    Free Member

Jessops went to court over the same issue some years ago when a male member of staff refused to wear a tie and was sent home, they lost and dropped ties from the uniform for men.

and jessops went bust, perhaps they should have invested more time in selling than trying to makle the staff look like school boys.

Never worn a tie to work and never will.

cloud
    Free Member

Oh dear. BitterTrackWorld arrived in the first reply!

LoCo
    Free Member

I’ve always prefered a cravat or neckerchief to be honest

Drac

and jessops went bust, perhaps they should have invested more time in selling than trying to makle the staff look like school boys.

And promptly reopened by a guy who wears a tie.

nedrapier

waiters, hot fiat, did you not learn anything? Or were you there to teach?! 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

Actually if you think carefully they must have a reason to insist on their male staff wearing tie.

Have you found out that reason(s) yet? Perhaps it’s just old fashion respect for customer when you wear tie? No?

I really don’t see a big deal with having to wear tie at work unless you work with turbine engine? Where your tie got suck in and your head get crush or chop off by the turbine blades with blood pumping like hose pipe all over.

Frankly speaking if wearing tie is detrimental to your well being then you should seriously reconsider whether that is the place you want to work. Bear in mind most organisation you join will only have their prevailing norm so it’s not something new.

You have to decide if that is the place for you.

🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

Our md has started to wear a shirt and tie recently…with denim jeans

Our md – who is 20 stone + and clearly wears clothes bought for him by his mrs – wears a sheer white short sleeved shirt over a white vest combined with white trousers when the weather’s warm

Its certainly a…unique look but fortunately we don’t have too many warm days

njee20
    Free Member

I more or less choose too, certainly not compulsory, although most wear them on my floor of the office at least.

Like them, don’t get the fuss. With a suitably fitting shirt I can’t tell the difference frankly.

sbob
    Free Member

rocketman – Member

Our md – who is 20 stone + and clearly wears clothes bought for him by his mrs – wears a sheer white short sleeved shirt over a white vest combined with white trousers when the weather’s warm

The man from del Monte, he say “GIVE ME ALL YOUR **** CAKE!“.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Are comedy one’s banned..??

I should bloody hope not!

My 2 favs from BITD (before I grew up 🙂 )

sbob
    Free Member

Somewhere I have a tie with a rainforest scene on it, so it’s predominately dark green from the trees with the odd bird or animal amongst it.
    Oh, and the bright yellow JCB that’s ploughing across the bottom of it. 🙁 😯

anonymouse
    Free Member

Ties are great.

Ladders
    Free Member

One of the reasons I left my last job!

Love riding to work in my skinny jeans now! Only problem is that they get a bit tight round the groinal area when your riding if you know what I mean! 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Ladders – Member

Love riding to work in my skinny jeans now! Only problem is that they get a bit tight round the groinal area when your riding if you know what I mean!

Then you should wear leggings instead … much much more comfortable.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Could be worse OP, lederhosen for instance if the job were in an Umpah band or a rectum splitting nappy for a sumo. Agreed they are the one item of clothing that serves absolutely no purpose but it’s not as bad as wearing a bearskin, for instance. Also – how much do you need the money?

TheBrick
    Free Member

My work place was like this. I wore a tie for a month or so then started no tie Friday then became more sparatic when I wore a tie, now I never wear a tie.

Get comfy, get to know people then stop wearing the tie, it would be very odd if they actually made a big issue about it. Every work place has stupid rules and most people don’t keep to all of them. This can be the one that you don’t keep to.

Ladders
    Free Member

Then you should wear leggings instead … much much more comfortable.

Ah! Jeggings! Good idea!

nealglover
    Free Member

Agreed they are the one item of clothing that serves absolutely no purpose

A tie has a purpose.

It’s just not a practical one.

In this particular example, the purpose of the tie is so the OP can go to work dressed as he is required to.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Actually if you think carefully they must have a reason to insist on their male staff wearing tie.

There’s no reason I can think of why you should ever HAVE to wear a tie for any situation other than to satisfy someone else’s antiquated upyourarseness.
    Dress codes are for the military. For everyone else, it’s just some weird tradition or trumped up pier pressure. Having said that. I’d wear one at a funeral out of respect, so I guess I’m just talking out of my backside.

federalski
    Free Member

chewkw
    Free Member

gears_suck – Member

There’s no reason I can think of why you should ever HAVE to wear a tie for any situation other than to satisfy someone else’s antiquated upyourarseness.

You’re fired! 😆

Dress codes are for the military. For everyone else, it’s just some weird tradition or trumped up pier pressure. Having said that. I’d wear one at a funeral out of respect, so I guess I’m just talking out of my backside.

Fall in line or you’re fired. Your choice. 😆

Peer pressure? No. It is a direct command for you to follow. You are not employed to think but to behave zombie maggot like.

I said – jump! (what’s your reply?)

😈

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘Wearing A Tie At Work.’ is closed to new replies.