Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 180 total)
  • Wearing A Tie At Work.
  • matthewjb
    Free Member

I’ll be in jeans tomorrow. And my legal advice will be as good as ever.

But will anyone listen to it when all they can see are your jeans?

JulianA
    Free Member

What kind of scruff wouldn’t want to wear a tie????

Current contract: Every day (usually a bow tie) except Friday for me, almost always with Chinos and a cotton shirt. Fridays are for smart jeans or red or orange trousers with a linen shirt. By choice.

Other contracts: Suit when required.

Ties are smart.

</thread>

ourmaninthenorth

But will anyone listen to it when all they can see are your jeans?

CEO, exec and senior management will be dressed much the same. Household name FTSE 100 company.

It’s not what you look like, it’s what you do that counts. I’ll be disappointed (though accepting) when I move on and have to return to suit wearing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

will anyone listen to it when all they can see are your jeans?

I would as I have the brains to realise the trousers they wear dont control the wuality of their legal advice

Not read thread but it is sexism in kind unless they make women wear them

the only item of clothing that does not keep you warmer utterly pointless.

That said i would not wear a suit and not put on a tie so that is twice a decade covered.

Cougar

It’s not what you look like, it’s what you do that counts.

That’s what I was trying to say, pretty much.

Judge me based on my appearance, that’s not my failing. Ultimately I’d rather be underestimated than overestimated.

slowoldman

It’s a choice like saying you choose Gore over dhb or baggy over lycra

The latter isn’t a choice it’s normal – baggy over lycra. Well it’s what I wear anyway.

As for ties, can’t stand ’em. I tend to live in jeans and polo shirts.

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s not what you look like, it’s what you do that counts.

That’s the key for me. I’ve always seen ties and flash suits as a crutch for people who don’t really do anything. I’m sure there are plenty of exceptions and I’ll try not to insult anyone so I’ll just use estate agents and recruitment consultants as an example. I really don’t get ties = smart thing. Smart is something special not everyday wear.

JulianA
    Free Member

I’ve always seen ties and flash suits as a crutch for people who don’t really do anything

I’m a programmer and if I don’t do anything I get my contract terminated.

I really don’t get ties = smart thing. Smart is something special not everyday wear.

Why not be smart every day?

Lionheart
    Free Member

I quite like ties, used to like them a lot! Must have done as I still have 30 plus and culled dozens of them. Then ten /eleven years ago decided not to wear one. Only once about four years ago have I strayed, I was speaking in a House of Lords meeting room and thought I better wear a tie but took it off once I arrived. They are strange things, some sort of bastardisation of a neckerchief/napkin/hider of buttons which I am sure we will look back on as a most odd and unnecessary addition to our clothing. Can you imagine one in any futuristic film other than to represent an anachronism. As time goes on I am also finding it harder to trust someone with a tie on…. that says more about me than them but ties do seem to be part of the ‘system’.
    Think I still quite like them, I must do as I still have 30 plus in my wardrobe.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I’m a school teacher. I used to work at a school where the uniform was that every kid had to wear a tie, and I always wore a tie. I couldn’t bring mayself to pull up a kid for not wearing a tiie if I wasn’t wearing one either. I now work at a school where the uniform doesn’t stipulate that a tie must be worn, and I never wear a tie.

I would think twice about moving to a school where I HAD to wear a tie, but it wouldn’t necessarily stop me.

hot_fiat

Why I don’t need a tie at work: Our last CEO

[video]http://youtu.be/Ez2MCnE7Apw[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ultimately I’d rather be underestimated than overestimated.

Happy to oblige cougar 😉

Cougar

(-:

jock-muttley

I’m looking forward to returning to a corporate environment after a good few years freelance. Suit was only worn for meetings after that whatever the hell I liked, normally shorts and a t shirt.

To me if you are going to dress formally then it must be done properly, anything else makes you look like a muppet. Last job I had where formal wear was required I tended to wear shirt, tie and trousers with a sports jacket or blazer in summer, if I was in customer or supplier meetings the suit was wielded ( always a 3 piece). Any time we left the office it was jackets back on. If you were going down into the shop floor it was safety boots and a white lab coat with tie tucked into your shirt. If you were going to actually get your hands mucky then it was a boiler suit sans tie. Saturdays you could wear what you like. On St Andrew’s day I’d wheel out the kilt – which did look a real treat when coupled with a lab coat and safety boots!

I hate “business casual” it just makes blokes look like they are an extra from eastenders or a purveyor of Peruvian marching powder. Not sure how I’m going to go for this new job as it is sort of formal, the issue I have is my hair is now quite long, coupled with a beard, but the role will involve a fair chunk of hands on. I’m thinking decent jeans, decent open necked shirt, waistcoat and a tweed sports jacket for day to day (safety boots to be worn). Suit of formal days, kilt for St Andrews of course.

What do you think folks?

CountZero

JulianA – Member
    What kind of scruff wouldn’t want to wear a tie????

Current contract: Every day (usually a bow tie) except Friday for me, almost always with Chinos and a cotton shirt. Fridays are for smart jeans or red or orange trousers with a linen shirt. By choice.

Other contracts: Suit when required.

Ties are smart.

No, some people who wear ties are smart, plenty of people who wear ties are scruffy. A tie does not turn a scruffy person into a smart person.
    A tie is just a piece of engineered material for wearing round your neck, it does not, in and of itself, magically turn a scruffy git into George Cloony.
    I can, if I so choose, look reasonably well turned out. It very seldom comes as a result of wearing a tie.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You’ve not mentioned why the job would be right for you. You just moaned about wearing ties. If the job is right, the dress code should barely register in your decision. Do you really want the job?

If you do then wear a bloody tie.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ties wear if you’re comfortably or required. Don’t ever look like the “My Boss Makes me Wear this” as it shows you would rather be somewhere else.
    In my world suit no tie is fine and acceptable, much smarter than the “made to wear a tie” lot.

Not really worn one in 15 years except for some very important meetings.

The only other rule is never judge somebody by what they are wearing.
    For a few years I worked in places that required a full change into works issue clothing for some stuff, there was a power crazed idiot who went off on one and basically told a huge group of people there was nothing they could do to speed him up, he worked at his pace and he would be there to sort them out when he felt like it. Turns out there was a very senior manager in the group nicely disguised as one of the workers.

and to the OP

I know that it’s discriminatory as he doesn’t insist that woman have to wear skirts as evidenced by them all wearing trousers.
    Being new to the job if I accept it means I’ll have to go and buy some rather than stand my ground and refuse but I REALLY detest the things.

good luck making the end of probation if you use those words in the office.

rickon
    Free Member

I wear a suit, tie, waistcoat and nice shoes to work.

I actually wear a tie casually frequently.

I suit ties.

More people should look dapper.

Sometimes I have a moustache.

If the company CEO thinks the company image would be reflected well by wearing a tie, why not? Its not like he’s asking you to wear assless chaps.

The software company I used to work for was trendy, so we all wore trendy clothes. The shareholders loved it, they thought they’d bought into a young, fresh, Google-esque development house.

Actions speak louder than words, but some people are shallow, and image really does matter. Especially to stakeholders and shareholders.

zomg

Ties are for shop assistants and school children.

farm-boy

Embrace your inner cowboy

Being a software developer, I wear our uniform of shorts and flip-flops (not with a bolo tie). Occasionally local customers do pop in to see us when we all, every-time use the excuse that we are actually on leave and have just passed by the office to pick something up, which also makes the customer grateful to have caught us.

DrJ

women are swanning about in sandals and a floaty dress of some kind.

And that’s a bad thing because … .?

ononeorange

I have spent the last 7 or so years happily only wearing suit and tie when with clients. Sadly we have just had an edict from the us that we now have to wear suits all the time. I absolutely detest the things for a number of reasons, chiefly that 1 my father is right, I will always look like a sack of spuds badly tied in the middle in one, and 2 the heat in the summer getting to work will be evil in a heavy black suit. Tubes are hot enough as it is. Oh yes, and I am usually an odd shade of purple ten minutes after doing my collar up, slowly turning blue as the day goes on. Refuse to go up another collar size as it means admitting I am a really fat biffa.

Anyhow, it’s a shame but have to accept it if I want a job, I agree. In a rush if blood to the head I went out and ordered a tailor-made suit a couple of weeks ago. Madness. I will still resemble a sack of spuds!!

Drac

Fridays are for smart jeans or red or orange trousers with a linen shirt. By choice.

They’d have to be I’m sure there’s laws about making men wear red orange trousers against their will, best not start on the chinos.

DrJ

the heat in the summer getting to work will be evil in a heavy black suit

There’s your problem – no need to wear a heavy black suit. Other weights and colours are available. I like suits because they make you look smart with absolutely zero effort.

njee20
    Free Member

Being a software developer, I wear our uniform of shorts and flip-flops (not with a bolo tie). Occasionally local customers do pop in to see us when we all, every-time use the excuse that we are actually on leave and have just passed by the office to pick something up, which also makes the customer grateful to have caught us.

So you’re admitting your ‘uniform’ isn’t really acceptable to customers? That seems even more odd than objecting to a tie!

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Where I worked one lot who occupied a large open plan office on the top floor had to wear ties.

I worked in a similar office on the ground floor and wore tee shirt, shorts and sandals then jeans or casual trousers with trainers in the winter.

No sense in it whatsoever, but as has been said if you don’t want to do it look elsewhere for a job

epicsteve
    Free Member

I work for a large consulting organisation and even we don’t wear ties all that often. Suits and shirt without a tie are the normal, with occasional wearing ties if we’re at a customer where their folks wear ties.

Today is in fact one of those days where I will be wearing a tie as I’m visiting a customer that’s a bit old-school about that sort of thing.

funkhouser
    Free Member

I don’t actually mind wearing a tie but i would detest being forced to wear one. its mainly just shirt and trousers in here, but there are the odd few in stonewash wranglers with polo shirts, and then there’s some in smart suits with ties. dress code isn’t enforced. i tend to dress semi smart – trousers, shirt but with knit wear so i don’t have to iron the shirt! i hate summer.

as an aside. its an old argument but if women can wear skirts we should be able to wear shorts. i started to turn up in shorts at a previous job years ago. not luminous bermudas or owt but smart dress shorts with a shirt and rolled up sleeves, it was a head turner at first but the next day a few more turned up in them and by the end of the week loads of us were in them. we got a memo form management saying long trousers only, we responded saying fair enough as long as this applies to women also, then the next day there was another memo retracting the first! Hurrah!!

dresscodes are pre-historic. golf clubs are the worst for it, but ive played squash at some exclusive places in London and they make you wear all white on court, or try to. i just apologise i say i didnt know. they also expect you to wear collar, jacket and tie in the bar afterwards! wtf is all that about!? dicks.

peterfile
    Free Member

I used to have to wear a tie. Dress code was pretty strict. Can’t say it really bothered me, particularly as everyone else in the firm had to dress the same. It was to ensure we sent the correct message to clients (ie because we are wearing ties you can rest easy that we are worth the £600 per hour we are charging you 🙂 )

Now I’m the client. Today I have no tie and a bit of a beard, something that would have had me sent home previously.

I genuinely don’t understand why people get their knickers in a twist about dress code. It’s not like they are asking you to wear something ridiculous. Plus it’s their business, they get to decide on the image they want to portray.

DezB
    Free Member

I hate ties simply because they are uncomfortable. Why would you have to wear something that’s uncomfortable in this day and age? Weird.

There’s a bloke here who wears a suit and tie every day and he looks far scruffier than most other people.

If the op wants ties I’ll send him all mine from the 80s.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Just for balance not wearing a tie doesn’t make you a creative, free thinking power house.

rickon
    Free Member

I hate ties simply because they are uncomfortable. Why would you have to wear something that’s uncomfortable in this day and age. Weird.

Ties are only uncomfortable if you’ve bought the wrong collar size, so it’s too tight.

A tie doesn’t tie-up your shirt, it covers up your top button and can be loose if you like.

Not that many people wear a suit and tie these days, so it feels a bit anti-disestablishment to wear one for me – at least in all the industries and companies I’ve worked for (large multi-nationals).

officialtob
    Free Member

Meh, I see ties as a little bit ‘old-skool’ now in the workplace. Much prefer the look of a simple suit, shirt, and no tie. Modern, clean, and effective.

Ties are only uncomfortable if you’ve bought the wrong collar size, so it’s too tight.

Regardless of the collar size, I get a bit claustrophobic with top buttons – but I guess that’s mainly because I rarely wear a tie..

fasthaggis

I think it’s great that the OP’s first thread is going so well .
    No messing about with any of that “what tyres for my first £6.000 bike ?” ,well done.

I wouldn’t want to be forced to wear one all the time but there is nothing wrong with a jacket and tie. I find them quite comfortable and practical when travelling and meeting people.

But I’m not a fan of the full grey suit look. Too much risk of being mistaken for a balliff or an accountant.

DezB
    Free Member

Utter rubbish.
    Ties are only comfortable if you’re used to wearing them.

DezB
    Free Member

I think it’s great that the OP’s first thread is going so well

I’ll have to get some tips! I can’t even provoke a response with “I saw Jesus with his fog lights on in the rain.”

nealglover
    Free Member

“what tyres for my first £6.000 bike ?”

If my bike was only £6 I would leave the tyres alone I reckon 😉

fasthaggis

DezB ,I lurk on all your threads without posting 😈

Junkyard
    Free Member

I genuinely don’t understand why people get their knickers in a twist about dress code.

You genuinely dont understand why folk dont like wearing clothes they dont like wearing 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘Wearing A Tie At Work.’ is closed to new replies.