Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 180 total)
  • Wearing A Tie At Work.
  • cloud
    Free Member

Is there any profession where it is legally compulsory to wear a tie? Even the police don’t wear them all the time they’re on duty.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Like them, don’t get the fuss.

This is the case for many people with something they like or are ambiguous towards, they don’t get why someone might be annoyed by something, I expect there is something odd that you don’t like that many other people would say “I don’t see the problem”, and people should except that, they may take the piss but they should except it. If it does not effect your ability to do your job you can avoid it. Wearing a tie can be like this, it is for me, its odd an irrational to insist on wearing one. Wearing a tie is nothing to do with being smart unless you are wearing a suit, and the only places I’ve worked that insisted on wearing a tie, did not insist on wear a suit. Infact most people I see wear a tie look scruffier with on because its loose with the top button undone like a Michael Boule look a like.

br
    Free Member

For years and years I always wore a tie for work, and often a 3-piece suit (especially if abroad 🙂 ).

About 7 years ago I decided to stop wearing a tie; and have only since for weddings, funerals and interviews.

If you aren’t use to wearing a tie make sure you buy shirts with a collarsize at least 1/2″ larger than normal.

shifter
    Free Member

The Brick = the voice of reason.

Ladders
    Free Member

If your going to wear a tie then you should go all the way. Proper suit, proper shoes and suit jacket. Some of the scruffiness people I’ve seen at work have just worn trousers, shirt and tie.

Likewise, you can look extremely smart wearing a nicely cut pair of jeans and a decent shirt and shoes, and I’ve seen some people pull this off very well.

Edukator
    Free Member

When a “manager” I wore one. Even the day I forgot my trousers after washing them (after a 33km bike in it was too late to go back). So put on a dress shirt, the tie, a lab coat and got to the management meeting early. It wasn’t long before someone noticed the cycling shorts and hairy legs under the table… .

iolo
    Free Member

OP
    If you are aware of the dress code and don’t agree by it don’t take the job.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Im stuck wearing one at school. Spends most of its time tucked in so it doesnt wrap around a lathe or something.. great look.

But if im going to wear one its gotta be silk. Thats what charity shops and TK Maxx are for isnt it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you are aware of the dress code and don’t agree by with it don’t take the job.

That’s the end of this thread.

chewkw
    Free Member

If I were require to wear tie to work I would wear one black colour tie forever. i.e. never to change or to wash until it rots. 😆

CaptainFlashheart – Member

That’s the end of this thread.

Where is the human right in this reply? 😈

Northwind

Edukator – Troll

When a “manager” I wore one. Even the day I forgot my trousers after washing them (after a 33km bike in it was too late to go back). So put on a dress shirt, the tie, a lab coat and got to the management meeting early. It wasn’t long before someone noticed the cycling shorts and hairy legs under the table…

When I was in the bank it was strictly suit and tie. Rules were less clear on footwear, which is just as well because of the number of times I forgot my work shoes and went through the day in a pair of knee-high Sidi motorbike boots. It’s an excellent look

(also tbh I’m one of those people who’ll always look like a bairn in a suit, I’ve got a couple of nice ones now thanks to a simple shopping strategy, find a homosexual italian man and buy what he told me to. But they still makes me look about 12.)

In the current job, I have a very childish game I play… There’s a couple of official university ties, an “anyone can wear it” one with the uni crest, and a graduates only one. Any time I wear my graduates one, it’s only a matter of time til someone decides to tell me off for wearing the “wrong” tie, then I get to shoot them down. I am easily amused.

lunge

I wear one for work and I like them a lot. For me it about getting in the mood for work, I put on a well fitted suit, a good shirt and a tie and I’m in work mode. The fact that my wife thinks I like hot in said ensemble does no harm at all either. Saying that, I would agree that a tie only works with a suit, if you don’t wear suit then you shouldn’t need a tie.

Re. The OP, you took the job knowing the dress code, if you don’t like it, turn the job down. I’ve hired people who have winced when I told them I expect them in a suit and tie, the choice is simple, if you want the job you need to take the dress code with it.

zippykona

At the trade fairs we go to there is a company that sells skulls,big swords and all that warlock stuff.
    The people on the stand are the sort of death metallers you would expect. Long hair,piercings ,tattoos etc.
    Their boss makes them wear a suit at the fairs. They look bloody ridiculous.
    None of their customers wear suits. I really can’t see the point.

cloud
    Free Member

I haven’t taken the job. I might not take the job. I might take the job. I already have a job. I don’t like wearing a tie. I had no idea that a tie was compulsory until we were half way through the informal chat where I most certainly wasn’t wearing a tie. I was just airing my feelings toward ties being compulsory for this employer. It’s just a discussion (board).

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I hate ties. Luckily my work attire is very far from formal.

footflaps

Ties always seem to be quite an emotive subject – almost as bad as religion. Although personally I dislike ties more than I dislike religion….

chewkw
    Free Member

cloud – Member

I haven’t taken the job. I might not take the job. I might take the job. I already have a job. I don’t like wearing a tie. I was just airing my feelings toward ties being compulsory for this employer. It’s just a discussion (board).

I see you have got a job already hence able to be choosy, in that case your reaction to wearing tie is, okay, normal reaction. 😆

At one point I thought you were going to be a choosy beggar 😆

iolo
    Free Member

OP, based on your feelings find a job with a slacker dress code. Otherwise You will resent each morning tying that knot around your neck.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Suits and ties cause global warming – fact.

The insistence that men wear suits and ties in places like the US, even in summer, means most offices need air conditioning.

martinhutch

If the dress code means you’re already wearing stuff you wouldn’t normally wear around the house, then what in particular elevates a tie above this level? Perhaps your shirt collars are too tight? Or is it just a symbolic thing?

I must admit, I stopped noticing I even had it on after a week or so in my first job.

As long as you wear a nice, subtle one, and definitely not with a short sleeved shirt, you’ll look OK, if that’s what you’re worried about.

Edukator
    Free Member

Their marketing strategy clearly works, Zippy, you noticed them and haven’t forgotten.

I understand your attitude, OP, but to me it’s just a (symbolic) part of the whole submission thing that goes with a job. Not just job either, one local club won’t accept riders without a helmet and if I didn’t dress up to please Madame for rock and roll dancing I doubt I’d get spoilt after.

Cougar

It’s quite simple. Are you customer facing?

If yes, wear a tie, you’re representing your company.

If no, and yet you’re expected to anyway, treat with suspicion. What other idiotic ideas might you be expected to put up with because “they’ve always done it that way”?

There’s an adage that you should “dress for the job you want rather than the one you have.” Extrapolating this, people in suits may well trying to be something they’re not. I’d rather get the job I want by being good at things.

therag
    Free Member

Only for funerals and fetishes, if you can’t do a job without a tie, you probably can’t do it with one.

TiRed

“Smart Casual” at work. Smart externally. I never wear a tie, even when representing the company on official business and conferences. I do however like a nice bright floral shirt with a Paul Smith suit. I view this as “equality”. It’s never been questioned, even at meetings where I’m the only non-tie wearer.

footflaps

If yes, wear a tie, you’re representing your company.

All depends on the industry / country. I’ve done / do loads of ‘C’ level meetings and never wear a tie….

Edukator
    Free Member

definitely not with a short sleeved shirt

Perhaps because we’re in the south of France short sleeves were fine – with a tie.

Edit to add example:

nealglover
    Free Member

if you can’t do a job without a tie, you probably can’t do it with one.

Well in this case that’s clearly rubbish.

Without a tie he won’t be able to do the job.

With a tie he will be able to.

Duggan

It is unfair that when it comes to ‘office’ dress codes they only really apply to men and not women. I’m expected to wear shoes, trousers, shirt and tie every day whereas most of the women are swanning about in sandals and a floaty dress of some kind.

I’m the kind of scruffy git that really hates wearing a shirt and tie and feel that is an affront to my very soul but recently got a job where it was expected and so you just have to suck it up really. Now I’m used to it, it’s not actually that bad and as others have said it’s really not worth losing sleep over.

As somebody else has already said it’s an anachronism and quite obvious to anyone with their own mind that you can’t force people to look ‘good’ with a bunch of rules.

Plenty of people who abide by the office dress code look like a shambles in their school trousers, comedy tie and five year old shoes with the soles flapping off, a bunch of keys hanging off their belt etc. I like to think that most blokes with a modicum of common sense could dress themselves much better and in an appropriate manner if just left to make their own minds…. but maybe I’m putting too much faith in middle aged men (like myself).

trevh
    Free Member

I hate wearing a tie but it’s a habit for work and I feel I can do my job better wearing them . No idea why

sbob
    Free Member

wysiwyg – Member

Im stuck wearing one at school. Spends most of its time tucked in so it doesnt wrap around a lathe or something

Please don’t tell me you wear a tie whilst working on a lathe… 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

Make sure your collar’s not too tight. Go up a collar size – makes a huge different to comfort.

nickjb
    Free Member

My old boss said ties make you go deaf. He was making a point about creativity and it has stuck with me. His wife did make him wear a tie when prince Charles came to visit the factory, though

I do find it a bit amusing reading about the people that like flash suits and ties. They sound like little schoolboys getting ready for their first day of school. 🙂 Each to their own.

Cougar

All depends on the industry / country. I’ve done / do loads of ‘C’ level meetings and never wear a tie….

Well, yes. I wouldn’t expect a plasterer or a lifeguard to wear one. I’d seemingly inaccurately presumed that we’d already established we were discussing a situation in which a tie may be suitable.

Cougar

It is unfair that when it comes to ‘office’ dress codes they only really apply to men and not women. I’m expected to wear shoes, trousers, shirt and tie every day whereas most of the women are swanning about in sandals and a floaty dress of some kind.

Try it yourself. You’ll have good grounds for a discrimination case if they tell you you can’t. (-:

nick1962
    Free Member

nickjb
    Free Member

Actually fair play. Those cats look smart. I’d buy insurance or take legal advice from them.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I wear one when meeting clients. Even when the client is dressed scruffily. Otherwise no.

garage-dweller

I love ties, could always buy more funds permitting along with smart shirts and suits. Only times I don’t wear for work is when doing a site clearance type of job or if I am suffering from a mild fever/ sore throat.

I work in professional services so it has been the norm for 15 years. Modern suits and shirts are comfy too.

It’s a choice like saying you choose Gore over dhb or baggy over lycra. I buy good (high street) suits but crap jeans.

ourmaninthenorth

I’d buy insurance or take legal advice from them.

The only lawyers (out of ten if us) in the meeting today wearing ties would be the last I’d take advice from. In fact lawyers are so easy to spot: they practically sleep in a suit and tie. And aren’t capable of independent thought.

I’ll be in jeans tomorrow. And my legal advice will be as good as ever.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ll wear a tie for meetings with senior customer representatives, but otherwise pretty much never these days.

The dress code in our office is pretty lax on a day-to-day basis – nobody on my floor regularly wears a tie.

In fact, you can normally tell if someone has a visitor, as they produce a tie from their desk drawer 5 mins before their visitor arrives!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘Wearing A Tie At Work.’ is closed to new replies.